U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM

29,490 posts, read 26,488,054 times

Advertisements

[quote=MikeandIke27;16802506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There is a quote thats says: Don't empower My past, but empower My future..
Wise words! I need to keep that in mind myself.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't see M. Vick a victim of anything. But I don't understand the NFL letting him back in, a convicted criminal. If I was convicted of a crime, no matter what the crime, I would not have my job back when I got out of prison. What it does, is send a message, that the crime he committed, dog fighting/animal cruelty was not really that big of a deal. We know that rape, and domestic violence is nothing to the NFL...but let a player bet on a game, and that is the worst crime ever...there is something wrong with their ethics, or rather, lack of...No type of moral integrity, to stand up for things that are right or wrong. Just, what will make the most money. That is a problem in our society, and the black population should care, because what kind of message does this send to black youth? That when you get out of prison, that life goes on as usual. That "Breaking the law is really not a big deal, after all, look at M. Vick.". Great message to send to kids.
True, but that's the NFL's doing, not Vick's.

Plus you have to weigh that lesson about the consequences of crime against the lesson of giving people a second chance. It's not an easy balance.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,423,767 times
[quote=arjay57;16802516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

Wise words! I need to keep that in mind myself.

Thanks. That's all Im saying is for us to look towards his future and not what he has done in his past.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 AM

106 posts, read 197,654 times
Quote:
I don't see M. Vick a victim of anything. But I don't understand the NFL letting him back in, a convicted criminal. If I was convicted of a crime, no matter what the crime, I would not have my job back when I got out of prison. What it does, is send a message, that the crime he committed, dog fighting/animal cruelty was not really that big of a deal. We know that rape, and domestic violence is nothing to the NFL...but let a player bet on a game, and that is the worst crime ever...there is something wrong with their ethics, or rather, lack of...No type of moral integrity, to stand up for things that are right or wrong. Just, what will make the most money. That is a problem in our society, and the black population should care, because what kind of message does this send to black youth? That when you get out of prison, that life goes on as usual. That "Breaking the law is really not a big deal, after all, look at M. Vick.". Great message to send to kids.
Everything is judged by each individual's unique response. If Vick would have come out, showing absolutely no remorse, no sense of compassion then he wouldn't be playing right now, I can guarantee that. But instead, he chose to make a drastic change and turn his life around.
The message it sends to everyone is, if you make a big mistake in life, you better right your wrong by living the rest of your life better then you did before... I can't understand people who give up on others so quickly! This whole entire topic reminds me of the reason why we need better prison reform, and better rehabilitation, so when some of these criminals get out, they can lead productive meaningful lives, instead of going out and messing up all the other "Mr. Perfect's" who have never broken a law in their life, and would be disowned by society for making a wrong move...

Old 11-28-2010, 05:04 AM

3,523 posts, read 4,274,622 times
G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted criminal. Yet, Fox News hires him as a sometime news commentator. I think former Lt. Colonel Oliver North is also a convicted criminal. Yet Fox News sees him as a legitimate news commentator as well.

Does that make Fox News Channel an immoral and unethical organization?

Quote:

Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted criminal. Yet, Fox News hires him as a sometime news commentator. I think former Lt. Colonel Oliver North is also a convicted criminal. Yet Fox News sees him as a legitimate news commentator as well.

Does that make Fox News Channel an immoral and unethical organization?
Hey, quit picking on Gordon Liddy and Ollie North. North was never convicted of anything and Liddy served his time. Can't you let it go and just think about their future? All Liddy did was break into some office when nobody was there and he didn't even steal anything and nobody got hurt. If they hadn't been conservatives the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.

And how does that compare to the billions our government is paying to corrupt warlord heroin traders in Afghanistan? What about the deficits Obama is running up which will have to be paid off by generations to come? Ollie North and Gordon Liddy were simply the product of the way they were brought up and in their culture they didn't see anything wrong with what they did and many Americans believe they are true patriots.

And why do people have to keep talking about Liddy and North 25 or 35 years later? Don't they get a second chance?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 PM

It's hard to tell if you being facetious to prove a point or serious. But the tirade aside, you made some great points. I would've added Bush to that sentence however, but I realize though that you lean decidedly to the right anyways, so that can't be help.

Quote:
Hey, quit picking on Gordon Liddy and Ollie North. North was never convicted of anything and Liddy served his time. Can't you let it go and just think about their future? All Liddy did was break into some office when nobody was there and he didn't even steal anything and nobody got hurt. If they hadn't been conservatives the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.

And how does that compare to the billions our government is paying to corrupt warlord heroin traders in Afghanistan? What about the deficits Obama is running up which will have to be paid off by generations to come? Ollie North and Gordon Liddy were simply the product of the way they were brought up and in their culture they didn't see anything wrong with what they did and many Americans believe they are true patriots.

And why do people have to keep talking about Liddy and North 25 or 35 years later? Don't they get a second chance?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 11-28-2010 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I would've added Bush to that sentence however, but I realize though that you lean decidedly to the right anyways, so that can't be help.
Heh. I used to be one of those Obama-supporting types until y'all told me I couldn't do that anymore because I wasn't toeing the party line. I guess the Dems these days are so confident they've got the situation under control that they don't need any more support.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Somehow I doubt someone as smart as you would be easily swayed by the actions & opinions of others political-wise. You put a lot of thought into your answers and also it took a lot from me to even get you to acknowledged the possibility of a counter-opinion.

Defnitely not the actions of a person that I would think change very easily. Aside from that I wasn't aware that the Democratic still had a party-line aside from being a more tamer version of the Republican party.

Both parties appease Corporations too much for my taste. Aside from that...uh...er...Let Michael Vick play ball in peace(Just my way of trying to prevent the mods from shutting down this thread).

Quote:
Heh. I used to be one of those Obama-supporting types until y'all told me I couldn't do that anymore because I wasn't toeing the party line. I guess the Dems these days are so confident they've got the situation under control that they don't need any more support.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 21,045,470 times
It appears that this thread has been moved from the Atlanta forum. I will close it as I have a Mike Vick thread already that I have made a "sticky" at the top of this page. And from what I've read on this thread it is similar to the one here regarding Vick's legal issues as well as football issues. I will close this one as one thread on an individual is the limit.No multiple threads on one subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football