U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,584,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
If Vick did not have freakish natural athletic ability he would have been a career criminal, and probably would be in jail right now for dealing drugs or armed robbery. Great role model.
who said he was a great role model? who said he has to be? kids need to stop looking up to ball players anyway.

and yes he has somewhat of a history with drugs, but i think you're jumping to conclusions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
So hopefully now you see I was just responding to the above poster's racial absurdities.
you're right. my bad.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM

985 posts, read 1,466,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
[/i][/b]

He may be over reaching a little but MANY blacks do have a herd mentality when it comes to standing up for a fellow "brotha" regardless of how detestable what he has done may be, ie OJ Simpson. I just dont see any other race or group of minorities that run to the defense of their race as vigorously as blacks do. The whole Michael Vick saga showed that and I believe that is what Bullbear was trying to say.
Well, given our history it's obviously why we will defend ourselves. Typically this always done when we feel that the punishment is far out of line for the crime, if it was done to another "race" so to speak. As far as OJ, he had already lost his Black card LONG AGO. Blacks in general were applauding the wake up call, that the system was rigged and OJ provided ammunitation that we were saying long ago. We didnt cheer his release, but merely the idea that the justice system was rigged against poor people.

The Mike Vick case in my eyes is different, he didnt in my opinion go to jail for dog fighting, but for LYING to FEDERAL PROSECUTORS. If he would have came clean, the state would have slapped him on the wrist. Same thing happen to Martha Stewart, who in my opinion was railroaded as well.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,530,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Well, given our history it's obviously why we will defend ourselves. Typically this always done when we feel that the punishment is far out of line for the crime, if it was done to another "race" so to speak. As far as OJ, he had already lost his Black card LONG AGO. Blacks in general were applauding the wake up call, that the system was rigged and OJ provided ammunitation that we were saying long ago. We didnt cheer his release, but merely the idea that the justice system was rigged against poor people.

The Mike Vick case in my eyes is different, he didnt in my opinion go to jail for dog fighting, but for LYING to FEDERAL PROSECUTORS. If he would have came clean, the state would have slapped him on the wrist. Same thing happen to Martha Stewart, who in my opinion was railroaded as well.
And even when he was released he was still hounded and treated like he was guilty. See on any other forum id just go ahead and say what i've really been wanting to say about how things are handled even here but I already know the result... ill get censored while other comments are left behind like they arent there. I see it, hell we ALL see it. I just really dont care anymore.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM

29,363 posts, read 26,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And even when he was released he was still hounded and treated like he was guilty.
What's unusual about that?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM

3,521 posts, read 4,259,631 times
I wasn't aware that you was appointed the sole arbiter what is considered the "herd mentality" for a race and/or ethnic group. I would considered white american's tendency to deliver overly punative judgement to people of color a characteristic of the "herd mentality".

Heck, the "Southern Strategy" is pretty much the rule book of the white conservative "herd mentality", and this political technique is the sole creation of white men! Georgia's recent election is proof of this, as people with an "R" beside their name were elected regardless of experience or even name-recognition.

Other than that, Michael Vick should be allowed to play football in peace.

Quote:
[/i][/b]

He may be over reaching a little but MANY blacks do have a herd mentality when it comes to standing up for a fellow "brotha" regardless of how detestable what he has done may be, ie OJ Simpson. I just dont see any other race or group of minorities that run to the defense of their race as vigorously as blacks do. The whole Michael Vick saga showed that and I believe that is what Bullbear was trying to say.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM

29,363 posts, read 26,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Other than that, Michael Vick should be allowed to play football in peace.
Er, he has been allowed to play football in peace. He's making $5.25 million this year and is on TV and in the papers just like any other player.

But going to jail doesn't eradicate what people think about someone's past conduct. That applies to Vick, just like it does everyone else. Why should Vick get special treatment?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM

281 posts, read 531,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And even when he was released he was still hounded and treated like he was guilty. See on any other forum id just go ahead and say what i've really been wanting to say about how things are handled even here but I already know the result... ill get censored while other comments are left behind like they arent there. I see it, hell we ALL see it. I just really dont care anymore.
He was guilty. If a child molester goes to jail and does his time, I still don't want him hanging around my house when he gets out of jail.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 PM

985 posts, read 1,466,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
He was guilty. If a child molester goes to jail and does his time, I still don't want him hanging around my house when he gets out of jail.
Did we miss something, did Bad News Kennel reopen?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:09 PM

3,521 posts, read 4,259,631 times
Nice snapback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Did we miss something, did Bad News Kennel reopen?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,584,632 times
Quote:

first of all, during the o.j. simpson trial, while there did seem to be racial tension, it wasn't about blacks defending him when we knew he was guilty. we're not that simple minded. most believed he was innocent. to this day, i'm not one of those people saying his guilty because i wasn't there

as far as michael vick's situation goes, i hate to say it, but if we were defending him it's because we generally don't have that enamorment with animals that many others seem to. nobody i know was saying that he was innocent or that he should just be let off easy, but i do feel the general public just overreacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football