U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Tim Tebow become an elite NFL star QB?
Probably so. 10 16.95%
Probably not. 34 57.63%
Pointless to speculate. 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome50 View Post
He has the respect of his players and seems to have all the tools. Will Tebow become a John Elway caliber QB?
Accuse me of understatement if you have to, but don't you think it's a little too early to tell?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,178,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
For those of you interested, McDaniels had nothing to do with the early development of Brady. During Bradys core development years McDaniels was actually a defensive coach on the Pats. Attributing the success of Tom Brady, one of the winningest QBs ever to McDaniels, is not only disingenious and inaccurate it is also selling the head coach of the pats the last 10+ years painfully short as well as the talent of Brady himself. McDaniels added to Bradys game but is not the sole cause of his career, as Key Johnson would say, c'mon man.
Tom Brady would tell you that you're wrong. He himself has credited Josh McDaniels with making him "take the next step" as a quarterback, and the sheer numbers support it. Josh McDaniels was named the QB coach in 2004, and that same year Brady posted a 90+ QB rating for the first time in his career which he did again in 2005 and had a 100+ rating in 2007.

Even if you were to take Brady away from him, he still has Cassel and Orton as testaments to his QB developing ability.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:55 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,370,264 times
right, and the reason Brady and the Pats had success before and after McDaniels should be ignored, or somehow credited to him. And the Broncos sucking isn't his fault either.

After the Steelers game I didn't hear Tom credit McDaniels for that win, WHAT AN UNGRATEFUL TOOL BRADY IS.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
right, and the reason Brady and the Pats had success before and after McDaniels should be ignored, or somehow credited to him. And the Broncos sucking isn't his fault either.
What does one have to do with the other?

The Patriots early success all came off of an elite defense and an offense that did just enough to win the game for them, led by Tom Brady in a classic game manager role. Hell, in their first Super Bowl he didn't even throw for 200 yards yet they still walked away with a win.

Tom Brady saw a significant jump in his statistical performance once Josh McDaniels became his position coach. The entire offense took a step forward once Weis left for Notre Dame and McDaniels completely scrapped the Erhardt-Perkins offense for his spread based passing attack, culminating in a record setting performance in 2007. Every single facet of those New England teams that Josh McDaniels was responsible for saw clear improvement over the predecessor.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Tom Brady then threw 28 TD passes in 2002 (McDaniels still a D coach at that point from what I can see) which is the second most of his career behind the obvious outlier of his 50 TD season. Really the arguement for McDaniels is much more believable in what Kyle Orton is doing, but I still stand on my ground that calling him the primary reason why Tom Brady has had the level of success he has had is not accurate. He can have a small piece of the credit pie, but he is, by no means at a table for one with it.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Tom Brady then threw 28 TD passes in 2002 (McDaniels still a D coach at that point from what I can see) which is the second most of his career behind the obvious outlier of his 50 TD season. Really the arguement for McDaniels is much more believable in what Kyle Orton is doing, but I still stand on my ground that calling him the primary reason why Tom Brady has had the level of success he has had is not accurate. He can have a small piece of the credit pie, but he is, by no means at a table for one with it.
The problem here is you're cherry picking a stat without looking at the bigger picture. He did throw 28 touchdowns in 2002, but he also had over 600 attempts and only a 85.7 QB rating. That's an average of a touchdown every 21.5 attempts, meaning he wasn't a terribly efficient passer that year. The only year he above 20 atts/td with McDaniels was in 2005 during the scheme change and the rest of the years were 16.9, 19.8 and 11.56 respectively.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't give the credit to McDaniels when Brady himself (and Cassel and Orton) does, but that's your prerogative I guess. I'm just curious about who you would give the credit too.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Link to interview where Brady gives McDaniels the credit for his success? The only thing I have ever seen is after McDaniels got the Denver job Brady saying things like "he was a good coach, he should have success over there."

Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Link to interview where Brady gives McDaniels the credit for his success? The only thing I have ever seen is after McDaniels got the Denver job Brady saying things like "he was a good coach, he should have success over there."
It'll take some digging, but I'll see if I can find it.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,374,960 times
Tim Tebow may be the greatest college player of all-time. How his career will end in the NFL remains to be seen. Going into the draft I was thinking he could end up as a jack-of-all trades kinda guy: tight end, goal line back, qb. Denver could do some interesting things with an athlete like Tebow. When all is said and done, I don't think he'll be thought of as great but he'll retire respected and a good player.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,132,768 times
"Will Tim Tebow become an elite NFL star QB?"

Who?

<just kidding... sort of>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football