U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Tim Tebow become an elite NFL star QB?
Probably so. 10 16.95%
Probably not. 34 57.63%
Pointless to speculate. 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM
 
20,942 posts, read 39,298,447 times
Reputation: 19245

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Tebow isn't going to be getting significant playing time because he is simply not ready. He needs a year of digesting an NFL offense and programming his new throwing motion to muscle memory. You throw him into the fray too soon and you run a very high risk of having him revert back to his old habits.

Another thing to consider is that you run the effect of causing a split in the locker room. Mike Shanahan did this in 1999 when he benched Brister for Brian Griese. This is the last thing we need now. If you feel Tebow is ready, then you can trade Orton in the offseason and everyone will know that Tebow is the man to get behind. Much smoother transition for a young team.
Well, after serious discussions with an expert (my guy at the liquor store), I stand corrected and concur in your opinion.

Here's a blunt assessment in a Denver newspaper, the writer thinks Tebow is a flat out catastrophe who cannot play NFL level sports. If true, how can a team be so wrong about a college player?
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

 
Old 11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,639 posts, read 22,493,666 times
Reputation: 13920
I said "pointless to speculate" because at this point, he's just another rookie. I think he choked in his final college game and has been given a lot more press/notoriety/attention than one person deserves.

Time will tell if he can make the transition to the pros and become a successful QB in the NFL. It's looking like being on the Denver Broncos is only going to bring him down... unless the team changes direction at some point or unless he gets traded off to a good team. Josh McDaniels's Glee Club Experiment doen't seem to be working thus far.

But to throw Tebow to the wolves at this point would be stupid and I'm sick of the media throwing any talk of it in our face. If Orton can't do it with that "offensive" offensive line out there, neither can Tebow and neither could have John Elway.

That's what I think.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,930 posts, read 19,218,617 times
Reputation: 9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
My question: what do you see in him that relates to the way some of the greats of NFL history play the position? John Elway, Steve Young, Bret Favre - or uber modern QB's like Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers - is there anything about him that reminds you of any of the others?
I think a better question would be "why can't he become an elite quarterback?" His physical abilities range from excellent to above average for NFL quarterbacks. He is very smart, has picked up the offense very fast, one of the hardest workers you could possibly have, is an excellent leader and comes with a winning pedigree going back to high school.

The only reason Tim Tebow slipped in the draft is because he's such a good running threat. Phillip Rivers had worse throwing mechanics than Tebow coming out and he went 4th overall in 2004. He spent two years being groomed behind Drew Brees and now he's the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the game. If Rivers can do it, there is no reason Tebow can't.
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,884,500 times
Reputation: 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I think a better question would be "why can't he become an elite quarterback?" His physical abilities range from excellent to above average for NFL quarterbacks. He is very smart, has picked up the offense very fast, one of the hardest workers you could possibly have, is an excellent leader and comes with a winning pedigree going back to high school.

The only reason Tim Tebow slipped in the draft is because he's such a good running threat. Phillip Rivers had worse throwing mechanics than Tebow coming out and he went 4th overall in 2004. He spent two years being groomed behind Drew Brees and now he's the 3rd or 4th best quarterback in the game. If Rivers can do it, there is no reason Tebow can't.
I love how when people point out Tebow's shortcomings your immediate retort is "no he doesn't he has above average to excellent _____ " despite numerous sources saying he doesn't have certain skills. Not to mention the eye test. (editing the next two sentences) And who the !$#!$# is Mike Mayock. The guy barely played in the NFL. Yet you immediately discredit all the other "guru's" and give us Mike Mayock. This guy's credentials, minus Mel Kiper who I agree is a joke, is on par with the other draft guru's. What was the Jacksonville Jaquar offensive lineman that said he didn't want Tim Tebow on his team because "he can't throw period?" You have one guy high on Tebow and the rest who aren't.

And he didn't slip in the draft because he was a running threat. He slipped in the draft because he played in a spread offense and most teams need a QB that knows how to run a true offense, not the wildcat. His throwing mechanics are not correct. Just watch the guy throw, and it's true, he can't throw. He's not comfortable taking snaps from center. And before you say he can learn to be, see how that is working out for Alex Smith in season 6. And all the other reasons previously mentioned. Let's debate in a civil manner here, OK?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-08-2010 at 05:08 PM..
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,930 posts, read 19,218,617 times
Reputation: 9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I love how when people point out Tebow's shortcomings your immediate retort is "no he doesn't he has above average to excellent _____ " despite numerous sources saying he doesn't have certain skills.
Those sources are, to be blunt, morons. That's why we have the combine, so the skills can be objectively rated. Did you read the scouting report I posted? That pretty conclusively shoots down the "he doesn't have the skills" bull**** we've seen tossed about.

Quote:
And who the !$#!$# is Mike Mayock. The guy barely played in the NFL. Yet you immediately discredit all the other "guru's" and give us Mike Mayock. This guy's credentials, minus Mel Kiper who I agree is a joke, is on par with the other draft guru's.
Mike Mayock is undoubtedly the best draft analyst out there. Multiple NFL executives have stated that he could have a front office job with ease and he even turned down a formal offer from the Raiders a few years ago. His body of work is excellent and if you can find one single other draft "guru" on his level, feel free to share.

Quote:
What was the Jacksonville Jaquar offensive lineman that said he didn't want Tim Tebow on his team because "he can't throw period?" You have one guy high on Tebow and the rest who aren't.
Only one? Last I counted you had Gruden, Mayock, both McDaniels brothers and Bill Belichick all going on record with their belief in Tebow.

Quote:
And he didn't slip in the draft because he was a running threat. He slipped in the draft because he played in a spread offense and most teams need a QB that knows how to run a true offense, not the wildcat.
You do understand that the wildcat and spread offense are two completely separate things, right?

And yes, Tebow's running ability was a key factor in him sliding. The key concern among many people was that he would never get over his instinct to go through two progressions and then run.

Quote:
His throwing mechanics are not correct. Just watch the guy throw, and it's true, he can't throw.
Care to explain to me how you came to the conclusion that a guy who threw for over 9000 yards and 88 touchdowns can't throw the football?

He did pretty good throwing the football in preseason, with a clear improvement in mechanics.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0OxR...eature=related


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuhn...eature=related

Quote:
He's not comfortable taking snaps from center. And before you say he can learn to be, see how that is working out for Alex Smith in season 6. And all the other reasons previously mentioned.
That wasn't an issue in Josh McDaniel's offense as it is primarily shotgun based. We'll have to see how the new staff shakes out before we knew if it will be an issue going forward.
 
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,930 posts, read 19,218,617 times
Reputation: 9178
I was wondering if this thread was going to get bumped. Looks like I'll have to do it myself.

Anyways, for anyone who wasn't paying attention on Sunday, Tebow threw for over 300 yards and led the Broncos back from a 17-0 halftime deficit and scored the winning touchdown on by scrambling after all of his receiving targets were covered.

Obviously this is a far cry from being the definitive verdict, but in two starts he's gone a long way towards answering the question of whether he can play at this level.
 
Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
192 posts, read 367,986 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I was wondering if this thread was going to get bumped. Looks like I'll have to do it myself.

Anyways, for anyone who wasn't paying attention on Sunday, Tebow threw for over 300 yards and led the Broncos back from a 17-0 halftime deficit and scored the winning touchdown on by scrambling after all of his receiving targets were covered.

Obviously this is a far cry from being the definitive verdict, but in two starts he's gone a long way towards answering the question of whether he can play at this level.
Yeah, but it was the Texans . . . (had to say it)
 
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,884,500 times
Reputation: 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I was wondering if this thread was going to get bumped. Looks like I'll have to do it myself.

Anyways, for anyone who wasn't paying attention on Sunday, Tebow threw for over 300 yards and led the Broncos back from a 17-0 halftime deficit and scored the winning touchdown on by scrambling after all of his receiving targets were covered.

Obviously this is a far cry from being the definitive verdict, but in two starts he's gone a long way towards answering the question of whether he can play at this level.



Remember when Jeff George threw for over 300 yards in his NFL debut. Then again 4 games later. I wonder what happened to that guy...

Ryan Leaf threw for 300+ yards and 3 TD's vs Denver...is he out of football?

David Carr had 378

the list goes on

I wouldn't start trying to hand out plates of crow after a couple of games. Might want to save the gloating till he actually does something other than beat up on one of the worst defenses in the league that has nothing to play for.
 
Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 AM
 
56 posts, read 109,373 times
Reputation: 49
Tebow is an undeniable leader. It is plain to see that the players play harder when he is in.

But I personally can't see him being an NFL star Quaterback on the Tom Brady Level.

I believe that the next 3 years. He is going to get a pass from the Denver fans. He will sell a ton of Jerseys, and they are going to have interesting games. But there is going to come a point. When the fans are going to want a winner. Unless they get some unbelievable superstar running back. I don't believe he is going to rar-rar his way to a Superbowl.
 
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
 
20,942 posts, read 39,298,447 times
Reputation: 19245
His performance on Sunday indicates there may be a good future for this guy. A tall QB with a powerful body and ability to run the ball seems to make him a highly versatile weapon for any offense. His teammates like him a lot, which implies they'll go to whatever lengths they need to in order to win with/for him.

Of course, I'm looking forward to his next start, too bad it's the last game of the season, I'd like to see more games with him.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top