U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Tim Tebow become an elite NFL star QB?
Probably so. 10 16.95%
Probably not. 34 57.63%
Pointless to speculate. 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM

14,646 posts, read 22,515,857 times

Advertisements

I agree he's tough.

In the 2nd half here, he was just credited with throwing another rookie pick.

That last interception was NOT Tebow's fault. That was the fault of some punk wearing #18 (Thomas) for the Broncos and posing as an NFL player. Look at the effort that guy made on that pass. He didn't. It was right in his hands and he acted like he was gonna get the pass handed to him. Then when he had it taken away from him, he had his beady eyes on the defender who could have blasted him going across the middle.

23 unanswered points. Looks like it's not Bronco-boy day. 4-12, here we come.

Make that 26.

Damn! Just let Tebow run the damned ball! He might cut this to 19! No, make that 12.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-02-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I agree he's tough.

In the 2nd half here, he was just credited with throwing another rookie pick.

That last interception was NOT Tebow's fault. That was the fault of some punk wearing #18 (Thomas) for the Broncos and posing as an NFL player. Look at the effort that guy made on that pass. He didn't. It was right in his hands and he acted like he was gonna get the pass handed to him. Then when he had it taken away from him, he had his beady eyes on the defender who could have blasted him going across the middle.

23 unanswered points. Looks like it's not Bronco-boy day. 4-12, here we come.

Make that 26.

Damn! Just let Tebow run the damned ball! He might cut this to 19! No, make that 12.
Actually that was on Tebow. The pass was slightly behind Thomas and even if he caught it, the free safety coming over the middle would have pasted him. That, and the first interception, were passes that never should have been thrown. Both times Tebow had receivers open underneath.

Overall though, a decent game. He made a few real good plays and a couple bad ones, but nothing that leaves me really concerned.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

14,646 posts, read 22,515,857 times
No, I disagree.

I have a DVR and I saw it myself. He didn't go after the ball or he would have caught it. It was right there for him. Had he lead the rcvr anymore, the safety or whomever was inside him would have intercepted it.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,238,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Had he lead the rcvr anymore, the safety or whomever was inside him would have intercepted it.
I know, that's why it never should have been thrown . On that play Thomas ran a deep in route with another receiver (might have been Royal or a RB) out in the flat, who was uncovered. From what I saw of the defense it looked like a Cover 2 Man setup and Tebow should have read that and checked down. Thomas would have been a better read had it been a Cover Zero, Cover 1, Cover 2 Zone or maybe even Cover 3 if he beat the safety coming off the zone. Tebow either made a simple error in reading the defense or felt he could fit the pass into the window. Either way, it was a mistake that led to a pick.

As for Thomas, I still don't really see a lack of effort there. It looks to me like he thought he had beaten his man and could catch the pass uncontested. That is a rookie mistake on his part.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 PM

20,952 posts, read 39,336,849 times
There's speculation in the press that Tim Tebow is now the #4 QB for Denver. If so, does this really spell trouble for Tebow or is this just part of the maturation process for NFL QBs. Is this just the press having fun with a quarterback controversy for the sake of ratcheting up the buzz? QB controversies were always great fun for the Redskin fans, in the days of Sunny vs Billy. People had bumper stickers back then: "I root for Washington and I like Sonny" etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-24-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,423,233 times
Who cares... for a guy who doesnt play much we spend too much time talking about him. Once he's on the field then we can discuss his status as an elite player.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM

16,549 posts, read 21,054,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's speculation in the press that Tim Tebow is now the #4 QB for Denver. If so, does this really spell trouble for Tebow or is this just part of the maturation process for NFL QBs. Is this just the press having fun with a quarterback controversy for the sake of ratcheting up the buzz? QB controversies were always great fun for the Redskin fans, in the days of Sunny vs Billy. People had bumper stickers back then: "I root for Washington and I like Sonny" etc.
Mike is right. During the Redskins playoff years in the 1970's, CBS pregame shows would consistently talk about this. If memory serves, Irv Cross would usually be interviewing the Redskin players and particularly Sonny Jurgensen, who was a former teammate of Cross when the two played for the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1960's. Those days were different as the interviews were a tad more concise and for the most part didn't get into wildeyed theories or for that matter criticism that bordered on "personal insults." Back then you had nowhere near the amount of media coverage that you do now.

Fast forward to today, you have four major networks, several cable tv sports shows, several nationwide radio am talk shows, on top of local media. Throw in the internet with its umpteen talk sites and you have a traveling insane asylum, if you will. The inmates running the asylum IMO is ESPN. I haven't been very happy with these guys for some time and what finally did it for me was the Brett Favre saga from August of last year. When Favre got into the Vikings camp ESPN and ESPN2 had all the analysts bantering back and forth about "the return of Brett Favre". Analysts included Chris Berman, Chris Mortenson, Merill Hoge, Mark Schlereth, John Clayton, Adam Schefter, etc., etc., etc. ESPN News simulcasted with ESPN. And this went from noon to 6 p.m. my time. No reports on other clubs training camps, no stories at all on baseball, just Favre, Favre, Favre.

Duh.

It took me a while to figure out why the Tim Tebow stuff got under Merill Hoge's skin so badly, until I had a wildeyed thought of my own. There was pretty much nothing going on with ESPN's pro football analysts after the NFL draft was over until camps finally opened and they are loading up the commentary now. Regarding Tebow's deficiencies (and there are those), why didn't we hear about those issues last year, at least to this level of criticism?

Instead, we get criticism that borders on personal. Calling someone a clown is just uncalled for.

Can Tim Tebow be a great quarterback? I hope he can. It beats being an average quarterback, or for that matter a failure. Like John Elway said earlier this season, "We have quite a bit of work to do with Tim but he has the tools and ability to be a great, great quarterback." For now he's a work in progress this year, and next year as well. If he doesn't become a great quarterback, he doesn't. Then just leave it at that.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-25-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,956,016 times
He spent his college career on option/gimmick plays. How anyone thought he could be anything but a fullback is beyond belief... You can throw Cam Newton into that same mix.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Who cares... for a guy who doesnt play much we spend too much time talking about him. Once he's on the field then we can discuss his status as an elite player.
Agreed, that's why I posted what I did just a bit ago. Bronco head coach John Fox most likely would like to hear the more immediate problems the club is trying to correct regarding their 4-12 season last year. And there are several of them; finishing first in the NFL reading points given up, 31st in the league in total defense, watching a #1 draft choice (Knoshon Moreno) and wondering if the Broncos made a mistake regarding a top pick-again? And on and on.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

I'll post a bit later on the article in question here by Mike Silver in the Yahoo article (and will comment on Silver himself) later but for now, regarding the pecking order come regular season will read this way:

1. Kyle Orton
2. Brady Quinn
3. Tim Tebow

If Adam Weber is a Denver Bronco this season, he will be on the practice squad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football