U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Tim Tebow become an elite NFL star QB?
Probably so. 10 16.95%
Probably not. 34 57.63%
Pointless to speculate. 15 25.42%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM

6,428 posts, read 10,946,159 times

Advertisements

Probably not.

Tebow is a big boy, but I don't think his style is suited to the constant bruising hits he would take at the NFL level.

The NFL is also very stubborn when it comes to offensive systems. Tebow is not a pro style quarterback, and I don't think he has the capability to become one. I think his only chance to become "elite" would be if Denver tailor-made a system around him...work at his strengths rather than try to mold him into something he's not.

My best guess is that he doesn't become a consistent starter, but may work as a special package player in something resembling the wildcat, that would be used several times per game.

His work ethic should go a long way to help him stay in the league for several seasons...but ultimately he'll never have his name mentioned in the same sentence as Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rogers, etc. (well, besides this sentence).

Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM

263 posts, read 544,746 times
Every practice snap he takes is on the right, like teams will simply shut that side down, effectively forcing him to do what is is not capable to do ( pocket passing) That is what happens when a rookie Head coach is allowed to run amock in the NFL, if Tebow would have been drafted in the 4 or 5 round, we would not be talking about him. Tim, save your money because the well will dry out.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,282,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's speculation in the press that Tim Tebow is now the #4 QB for Denver. If so, does this really spell trouble for Tebow or is this just part of the maturation process for NFL QBs. Is this just the press having fun with a quarterback controversy for the sake of ratcheting up the buzz? QB controversies were always great fun for the Redskin fans, in the days of Sunny vs Billy. People had bumper stickers back then: "I root for Washington and I like Sonny" etc.
I think it's a combo of playing up a controversy for the attention and just ignorant reporting. Hell, just think about it. Tebow played second at Dallas and third against Buffalo, but a guy who has yet to take a preseason snap has supposedly passed him on the depth chart?

Bosco thinks this was some shoddy reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
He spent his college career on option/gimmick plays. How anyone thought he could be anything but a fullback is beyond belief... You can throw Cam Newton into that same mix.
You know that Josh McDaniels offense (which we kept, along with Mike McCoy) is basically the NFL variant of Urban Meyer's spread option? Tebow needs to refine his pocket passing skills, no question, but when he eventually takes the reigns we will see plenty of plays where Tebow is carrying the ball. Also, don't forget that athletic guys like Steve Young and Rich Gannon developed into excellent quarterbacks with competent coaching, and Young even had the same janky throwing motion that Tebow had in college.

Last edited by McBain II; 08-25-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 03:42 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,719,698 times
He should be a fb or te like james casey for the texans honestly he has the size and speed.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 PM

904 posts, read 1,642,935 times
Does the media around ESPN hope to God he'll be good? Yes.

Will he be? No, probably not. Maybe average, but I don't think he'll ever be the star people want him to be.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 PM

16,555 posts, read 21,100,317 times
Bosco thinks this was some shoddy reporting.

Double H agrees with Bosco! In fact I know about this sort of uh, writing, but I had to turn back the clock to 1999 and put my thinking cap on to remember a similar instance regarding the Broncos and controversy.

Google in "Michael Silver and 1999 Sports Illustrated article on Broncos."

Sports Illustrated has what they call "SI Vaults", where they have saved stories of past games over the years and posted them online. I remember this style of writing because there are indeed similarities here.

After winning 2 super bowls, Denver started out the 1999 season horribly, losing their first 5 games. The story Silver writes about is a supposed meeting at a local Denver restaurant where many Bronco players were cutting up and as Silver describes "a sort of gallows humor." Lots of clowning around after blowing a lead against the Jets. Speaking of blowing, this was the game Terrell Davis blew his ligaments out when Matt Lepsis rolled up on his knee. Davis retired a couple years later.

After that issue of SI hit the stands, Bronco fans let it rip on the radio airwaves. But it wasn't about the players behavior. It was about the quotes, or maybe I should say alleged quotes. The quotes regarding the goofy behavior were replied by:

One Broncos starter
Four veterans
One Player
Many Broncos
A fresh faced player

That's what riled the fans up. They wanted names. Instead, they got fiction. Callers to the different sport talk shows were asking, better yet, demanding who said what. What Bronco said what. On top of that, I remember a couple people calling in stating they were employees of that restaurant the players supposedly went in, and insist that never saw any players go into the restaurant at all, not only after the game, but a few days afterwards. Hmm.

Now the rest of the story was somewhat balanced when Silver created an "overview" of the Bronco offseason along with reasons for the 0-5 start with brief comments from Terrell Davis and Mark Schlereth. Still, lots of fans weren't the least bit amused with this type of journalism. To many, it would be called dishonest.

I call it a figment of Silver's imagination. It's nice to know he hasn't lost his touch.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,282,815 times
Wow, Double H, I never knew about that story!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

16,555 posts, read 21,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wow, Double H, I never knew about that story!
Yep, I don't know why I remember stuff like this, but when this story first hit the radio waves (I picked it up streaming 102.3 "the ticket") it was the first thought that went through my head. I shouldn't be that surprised though, I think if truth be told a fair amount of writers do this as well. Keep in mind that other instance was in 1999, and most people forget these instances. Instead of a specific player, it turns out to be the "invisible man" who makes these quotes.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM

10,699 posts, read 11,754,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome50 View Post
He has the respect of his players and seems to have all the tools. Will Tebow become a John Elway caliber QB?

We don't know! Do you have a crystal ball? Tom Brady is a sixth round draft pick! Who would have thought he'd be a Hall of Famer.....Brett Favre was back-up.

The people we think will suck, in up being super stars and vice versa.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM

10,699 posts, read 11,754,186 times
Personally I think the media wants him to fell because of his Christian faith. If he was Muslim, they'd be fawning all over him. "gasp"

There...I said it.

He actually played very well against Dallas.....If he keeps working hard, only great things will happen.

2011 NFL Preseason (Week 1) - Dallas Cowboys vs. Denver Broncos Highlights - YouTube

He went 6 for 7!!! And look at that 40 yard pass!

And all you hear is "He sucks?"

Listen to the female announcer's tone...it's almost as if she didn't want to say he did well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football