U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,550,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Monday Night has become unwatchable. By the time the commercials are over I've forgotten who is playing, that and cutting away while a team kicks a field goal are a commercial too far.
Yeah, Monday Night is bad. But look at the bright side: it doesn't belong on the same page as the Super Bowl, which has turned into one of the most unwatchable "events" in the history of television.

The last Super Bowl I actually watched and enjoyed was the one where San Francisco massacred Denver, 55-10. I didn't mind the usual commercial overkill that day. And even better--a game where the commentators couldn't drone on and on about how it was anyone's game, and anything could happen, and it's not over 'til it's over. That one was over early on (though I confess to a degree of disappointment that the 49ers didn't push for one more TD, just so they could make it over the 60-point mark!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,991,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yeah, Monday Night is bad. But look at the bright side: it doesn't belong on the same page as the Super Bowl, which has turned into one of the most unwatchable "events" in the history of television.

The last Super Bowl I actually watched and enjoyed was the one where San Francisco massacred Denver, 55-10. I didn't mind the usual commercial overkill that day. And even better--a game where the commentators couldn't drone on and on about how it was anyone's game, and anything could happen, and it's not over 'til it's over. That one was over early on (though I confess to a degree of disappointment that the 49ers didn't push for one more TD, just so they could make it over the 60-point mark!)
That's ok Fred, I don't mind taking my lumps on this one!

Ooh, SB-XXIV. Hmm, what's my comment here, gotta be one of these thinga ma ******* will suffice for my comments about that massacre. Uh, this one? This one? After XXI and XXII I guess not. Um, this one. Maybe

Wait- THIS ONE!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

2,704 posts, read 4,676,104 times
One thing that drives me nuts is with college games. So many have this great tradition at the beginning of the games- for example Nebraska has the tunnel walk with a great musical lead up with an animated video on the jumbo tron that gets the crowd rocking, then a cut to the team walking through the tunnel from the locker room to the field, and then finally running out onto the field. It's one of college football's great traditions, and what do we see on TV? We see the talking heads in the press box sitting in front of the window yapping about how each team has done so far this year while in the background behind them you can see and hear the place rocking as this tunnel walk is taking place. Why not shut up and just show all the excitement?? This isn't even about commercials, it's about the TV guys not allowing a couple minutes to pass without their voices being heard.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,550,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That's ok Fred, I don't mind taking my lumps on this one!

Ooh, SB-XXIV. Hmm, what's my comment here, gotta be one of these thinga ma ******* will suffice for my comments about that massacre. Uh, this one? This one? After XXI and XXII I guess not. Um, this one. Maybe

Wait- THIS ONE!
I wasn't actually trying to distribute lumps; I'm not even a 49ers fan. The thing I enjoyed about that game was the fact that it was such a blowout; you seldom see Super Bowls like that. In fact, you see them so seldom that I think you have to wonder whether the final scores aren't somehow stage managed. Not necessarily to imply that the games are rigged; only the margin of victory. I mean, let's be honest: there's nothing a sponsor wants less than a game so one-sided that fans don't see the need to stay glued to the TV.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,991,509 times
Was just havin' a little fun Fred! Yep, I know you're a Jets fan, w/ your dad going back to day one w/ the franchise, when they were known as the Titans!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,398,647 times
The commercials are ruining the sport. Ok the Dolphins kick off to the Bills. O commercial break. Ok we back. The Bills move downfield o wait now its picked off. Commercial break. Miami comes back and scores a TD, kicks EP. commercial break. The Bills recieve again o and McKelvin takes it all the way and kicks EP. Commercial break. Dolphins return the football. O wait fumble. Commercial break.....

SO ANNOYING!!!!! Worst part in the NHL they got holographic ads on the glass behind the goalie... I don't wanna see that s***!!!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,338,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
It was quite some years ago, but I remember an NFL game (experiment) that was broadcast without a play by play person or color commentator.

Anyone remember that?
I must be some kind of weirdo, because I remember that like it was yesterday.

It was 1980, the last game of the season between the Jets and the Dolphins. Both teams were eliminated from playoff consideration, which I think was part of the reason this game was chosen. I was actually hoping the trend would catch on at the time. Then, next season, John Madden was partnered with Pat Summerall, and I began to re-think my original stance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football