U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,399,877 times

Advertisements

I don't think a short clip of a guy smiling while talking to his lineman can be interpreted as "laughing it up on the sidelines" -no one except those two know the context of why he was smiling. But I can understand why the reporter asked the question, especially since Gruden brought it to the attention to the nation (including Niner fans). The same thing happens in Tampa - the reporter is asking on behalf of the fans, really. Probably not the best venue to ask the question - maybe he should have asked on the side so not to have embarrassed DA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,412,171 times
He's not laughing in that sideline clip. This appears to be yet another instance where a reporter is trying to make a story out of nothing and perhaps longing to hear his voice and name make the rounds.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 AM

9,035 posts, read 16,511,871 times
Not at all - very respected reporter and it's not the first time anderson has been a little aloof

The fans are at about a critical mass of anger out here - i think most directed at the FO for brining in a guy like anderson to begin with

Anderson could of very easily answered the question in a professional way

Bucfan is right on - the reporter is reporting to the fans and this was a big topic amongst them - all DA did was show that he's not emotionally mature enough to answer a question, let alone lead a team .... which has done nothing but incite the fans more because that was the one thing they were sold with him from the FO

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM

28,837 posts, read 15,642,696 times
Behavior police alert...

If down by more than two touchdowns, you are not allowed to display any behavior that others may comprehend as uncaring. The player must appear to be down trodden, gloomy, or thoughtful about the next series of plays. Having a playbook or photographs in hand will help.

I can see if this was a continual jovial attitude on the sideline - but one instance where they have a smile on their face - with no context??

Please - get over it, Gruden and others. Everyone is different and everyone handles adversity in a different manner. They have sucked all year. You can't be gloomy forever.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

8,122 posts, read 17,399,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Behavior police alert...

If down by more than two touchdowns, you are not allowed to display any behavior that others may comprehend as uncaring. The player must appear to be down trodden, gloomy, or thoughtful about the next series of plays. Having a playbook or photographs in hand will help.

I can see if this was a continual jovial attitude on the sideline - but one instance where they have a smile on their face - with no context??

Please - get over it, Gruden and others. Everyone is different and everyone handles adversity in a different manner. They have sucked all year. You can't be gloomy forever.
You know, 10 years ago, I would have sided with Jon Gruden. Now, I couldn't disagree with him more. The man is a human being, and this might have been a way for him to compartmentalize what was happening at the time. The team has been in the crapper the entire year, there comes a point where it is forgiveable to step back, reflect on the absurdity of the game, the season, and share a moment of humor with a teammate. Anderson is right: it is none of the media's business what he was saying to Deuce Lutui. Look, the guy is probably going to lose his job by the end of the year, and could be UFL bound by this time next year. He will pay for his job performance. What else do you want him to do? Kiss Bill Bidwell's ass in Macy's window?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,412,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not at all - very respected reporter and it's not the first time anderson has been a little aloof

The fans are at about a critical mass of anger out here - i think most directed at the FO for brining in a guy like anderson to begin with

Anderson could of very easily answered the question in a professional way

Bucfan is right on - the reporter is reporting to the fans and this was a big topic amongst them - all DA did was show that he's not emotionally mature enough to answer a question, let alone lead a team .... which has done nothing but incite the fans more because that was the one thing they were sold with him from the FO
Maybe so but the fact remains that this reporter was making it sound as if DA was laughing hysterically on the sidlines and persisted in saying so despite the video clip show otherwise. Players blowup when pestered by badgering reporters. This is nothing new and I don't blame the players for doing so.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:19 AM

306 posts, read 371,312 times
Default Huh?

I think a lot of people including the idiot reporter and Chucky Gruden need to understand there is a big difference between "laughing it up" and having a brief 3 second smile on your face.

I have been hearing reporters from MSNBC, CNN, ESPN all refer to it as laughing or laughing it up. The media is a joke.

Talk about making something out of nothing and completely misrepresenting fact.

Gruden probably never smiled while he was a backup QB at Dayton.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 AM

9,035 posts, read 16,511,871 times
You should expect more from your QB and if he thought that was badgering thank god he didn't end up in a city with really hostile media .... he would of cracked weeks ago with his performance this year

Honestly, I have no problems with players blowing off some steam during the game or setting up barriers .... however, they need to understand how their actions look - especially if they are in a leadership position

he was given an opportunity to clear the air and take it in a positive direction

A simple - "It's a frustrating game during a frustrating season, my play hasn't lived up to my preparation for one reason or another and duece was helping me get past the game to that point and refocus on what we needed to do to finish the game with a better effort" would of sufficed and put him in a positive light with his team

Instead he lost the community, will be a further distraction in the locker room, will be an ongoing soundbyte joke for years to come and acted like a petulant child ..... this is probably worse than his blowup leaving cleveland

Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I think a lot of people including the idiot reporter and Chucky Gruden need to understand there is a big difference between "laughing it up" and having a brief 3 second smile on your face.

I have been hearing reporters from MSNBC, CNN, ESPN all refer to it as laughing or laughing it up. The media is a joke.

Talk about making something out of nothing and completely misrepresenting fact.
I agree with you 100%. Colin Cowherd said it best - maybe the OL that DA was talking too mentioned something like, "I'm going to hate watching the film on this game at practice tomorrow" - could have been some tension relieving comment by the OL that made DA laugh. Not everyone can always have the scowl that Chucky always seems to have.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Our QB smiles a lot - even after throwing an INT - it's his way of relieving the tension of his mistake or his WR's mistaken route.

I do hope he (Freeman) reviews DA's tape and learned what not to do when irritated by a reporter's badgering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or