U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,775,741 times

Advertisements

Nope-and I am a diehard Broncos fan...he had a great career but he wasn't a standout linebacker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,720,993 times
Yes. He played with fire, was a leader, and if not on the first go around, he should make it on his second.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM

16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Nope-and I am a diehard Broncos fan...he had a great career but he wasn't a standout linebacker...
Denvrsoul is right. Having four Super Bowl wins should certainly be defined as having a great career. The issue here is pro bowl appearances and being named all pro. Though he was named all pro twice, he has only been to 2 pro bowls. The linebackers who played in Romanowski's era are significantly higher in the count.

For instance, Mike Singletary has been to the pro bowl 10 times, Harry Carson 9 times, Rickey Jackson 6 times, Derrick Thomas 9 times; HOFers all. And there are others in the time Romo played (1989 to 2003) that are deserving who undoubtedly have similar stats, players such as Cornelius Bennett and Charles Haley. Both Bennett and Haley have been to the pro bowl 5 times. Haley would get the nod first as he has 5 SB rings. And then there is Chris Doleman who has been to the pro bowl 8 times. Why is he not in?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-17-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The question I ask myself is this "Was Bill Romanowski one of the best linebackers of his era?" The answer is NO. He as a good linebacker on some very good teams but he wasn't a standout on his own. He had some standout seasons but not a standout career.

I agree, he was on some very good teams, but got more of a name for being an edgy player rather than overwhelming the opponent.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,863,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Denvrsoul is right. Having four Super Bowl wins should certainly be defined as having a great career. The issue here is pro bowl appearances and being named all pro. Though he was named all pro twice, he has only been to 2 pro bowls. The linebackers who played in Romanowski's era are significantly higher in the count.

For instance, Mike Singletary has been to the pro bowl 10 times, Harry Carson 9 times, Rickey Jackson 6 times, Derrick Thomas 9 times; HOFers all. And there are others in the time Romo played (1989 to 2003) that are deserving who undoubtedly have similar stats, players such as Cornelius Bennett and Charles Haley. Both Bennett and Haley have been to the pro bowl 5 times. Haley would get the nod first as he has 5 SB rings. And then there is Chris Doleman who has been to the pro bowl 8 times. Why is he not in?
Good post...As a Viking fan I thought Doleman was a one trick speed rushing pony. Very fortunate to have a guy named Keith Millard tearing up the middle, leaving him with a single man to beat.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,049,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Good post...As a Viking fan I thought Doleman was a one trick speed rushing pony. Very fortunate to have a guy named Keith Millard tearing up the middle, leaving him with a single man to beat.
The fact he continued to produce after his first go-around with Minnesota lends credence was a very good player in his own right. From 1996 to 1998 he had 38 sacks with the 49'ers. Their defense was stacked with guys like Bryant Young, Dana Stubblefield and for one season Kevin Greene.

The bottom line is the guy could get to the quarterback. Have many guys AVERAGE 10 sacks a year for their career?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,049,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
While I submit that there is an argument for justifying a bust in Canton, I'm still not sure exactly what that argument is.
If you can't think of an argument then how can you convince anybody he deserves to be in the hall of fame?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:29 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times
Just saw this old thread, and wanted to weigh in. I definitely say no on Bill Romanowski and the HoF. His did play a long time, but his honors profile is nearly non-existent at 0/2/none, and I don’t know of any sort of film study argument that would positively affect his case. Consider that none of Karl Mecklenburg (4/6/none), Sam Mills (3/5/none), Greg Lloyd (3/5/none), Cornelius Bennett (3/5/90s), or Pat Swilling (2/5/none) are likely inductees, and that makes Romo a total non-starter. A good (if staggeringly dirty) player for sure, but no way.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
This is an old thread and I lean towards not using SB wins as a stat for a player, takes the whole team to win a SB. I see many arguments about players but he's never won a SB, or only won 1 in a 15 year career. I don't get the emphasis placed on SB wins, not at all.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 878,173 times
Here's how Bill Romanowski got four rings:

*He was drafted in 1988 by a team that had the best record in the NFL the previous season, a pair of recent titles, and was led by the best QB of his era throwing to the best WR in history. That team went on to win two Super Bowls in Romanowski's first two seasons, while he was starting only 12 of 32 regular season games. He didn't start any of the six postseason wins the 49ers notched en route to those two titles.

*Later on, he signed with a team led by one of the NFL's great QBs and riding the legs of the NFL's best rusher of the late 1990s. He actually made a substantive contribution to that team, but none of the numerous All-Pros on that Denver team that won a pair of rings had the initials BR.

Bottom line? Romanowski meaningfully contributed to a pair of Super Bowl championships won by a team that was already good when he showed up. But he was just along for the ride for another pair. And the world is full of solid players who contributed to multiple titles that still don't get into Canton without paying admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or