U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2018, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,369 posts, read 21,941,997 times
Reputation: 33604

Advertisements

this is why the NFL needs to create a Hall of Solid Accomplishment to honor players of Romonawski's stature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2018, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Boston
8,006 posts, read 2,320,890 times
Reputation: 5706
no, he doesn't belong in the HOF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,655 posts, read 33,482,984 times
Reputation: 32383
Nope. His negative reputation does him no favors to match with an, at best, above average career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,637 posts, read 4,231,097 times
Reputation: 4590
Nope. Not sure why this is even a debate or a discussion. Romonowski was just another player in a myriad oc players. Tom Jackson deserves more consideration than does Romonowski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
 
1,191 posts, read 482,336 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
This is an old thread and I lean towards not using SB wins as a stat for a player, takes the whole team to win a SB. I see many arguments about players but he's never won a SB, or only won 1 in a 15 year career. I don't get the emphasis placed on SB wins, not at all.
Super Bowl wins historically have only really made a difference in a HoF argument for borderline or worse QBs. Specifically, it has mattered for Terry Bradshaw (lousy regular season stats but four Super Bowl wins), Bob Griese (very good stats and two Super Bowl wins), Joe Namath (very pedestrian stats but arguably the most significant Super Bowl win in history), Troy Aikman depending on what one thinks of his regular season stats (second tier HoF level stats and three Super Bowl wins), and probably Bobby Layne (very pedestrian stats and two NFL titles plus heavy contribution towards a third before being traded).

Other borderline players seem to have gotten a bit of a boost from postseason play (Terrell Davis, Richard Dent, Charles Haley, Lynn Swann) but it’s not consistent by position and these folks likely would have been elected anyway. Davis had four HoF level seasons rushing, Dent has a 2/4/none profile and a ton of career sacks because he played forever, Haley has 2/5/none postseason honors which isn’t great for a DE but just on the border for an OLB (he played both positions), and Swann inexplicably made the 60s all decade team over guys like Harold Jackson and Cliff Branch and had a good postseason run. Romanowski isn’t anywhere near as good as these folks, and as has already been mentioned in another post, he was along for the ride for two of his four titles anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 03:15 PM
 
4,292 posts, read 1,863,980 times
Reputation: 2353
When you are best known for spitting in people’s faces that is probably a “no” in terms of HOF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 04:28 PM
 
52,079 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Reputation: 32475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this is why the NFL needs to create a Hall of Solid Accomplishment to honor players of Romonawski's stature
Lol....this is up to the individual teams they played for, especially if they had a long career there.

Kinda like being a star college player but not an NCAA all American. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 04:34 PM
 
52,079 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Reputation: 32475
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Super Bowl wins historically have only really made a difference in a HoF argument for borderline or worse QBs. Specifically, it has mattered for Terry Bradshaw (lousy regular season stats but four Super Bowl wins), Bob Griese (very good stats and two Super Bowl wins), Joe Namath (very pedestrian stats but arguably the most significant Super Bowl win in history), Troy Aikman depending on what one thinks of his regular season stats (second tier HoF level stats and three Super Bowl wins), and probably Bobby Layne (very pedestrian stats and two NFL titles plus heavy contribution towards a third before being traded).

Other borderline players seem to have gotten a bit of a boost from postseason play (Terrell Davis, Richard Dent, Charles Haley, Lynn Swann) but it’s not consistent by position and these folks likely would have been elected anyway. Davis had four HoF level seasons rushing, Dent has a 2/4/none profile and a ton of career sacks because he played forever, Haley has 2/5/none postseason honors which isn’t great for a DE but just on the border for an OLB (he played both positions), and Swann inexplicably made the 60s all decade team over guys like Harold Jackson and Cliff Branch and had a good postseason run. Romanowski isn’t anywhere near as good as these folks, and as has already been mentioned in another post, he was along for the ride for two of his four titles anyway.
Great post. I personally rate superbowl wins MUCH MUCH lower for the NFL given that a great defense etc. can carry a good but not great QB to the title.

It's sure as heck not like you can win the french open, a gold medal in wrestling etc. but you can sure win a Superbowl, or even something like NBA finals MVP without being the best player in the league by any stretch of imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 04:40 PM
 
1,191 posts, read 482,336 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Here's how Bill Romanowski got four rings:

*He was drafted in 1988 by a team that had the best record in the NFL the previous season, a pair of recent titles, and was led by the best QB of his era throwing to the best WR in history. That team went on to win two Super Bowls in Romanowski's first two seasons, while he was starting only 12 of 32 regular season games. He didn't start any of the six postseason wins the 49ers notched en route to those two titles.

*Later on, he signed with a team led by one of the NFL's great QBs and riding the legs of the NFL's best rusher of the late 1990s. He actually made a substantive contribution to that team, but none of the numerous All-Pros on that Denver team that won a pair of rings had the initials BR.

Bottom line? Romanowski meaningfully contributed to a pair of Super Bowl championships won by a team that was already good when he showed up. But he was just along for the ride for another pair. And the world is full of solid players who contributed to multiple titles that still don't get into Canton without paying admission.
That’s a lot like the “argument” people have been known to use in making a HoF case for Tom Flores, who is sometimes said to have won four titles. One was as a backup QB to Len Dawson (a year when he hardly played), one was as an assistant coach under John Madden, and two were as a Raiders head coach. The last two are the only ones that carry much weight, and given his pedestrian regular season record of 97-87 and relatively short career (coupled by the fact that he inherited a decent bit of his SB winning teams from Madden’s reign and did horribly once he left to coach the Seahawks), it’s just not enough — his HoF case is poor, no matter how loudly Raider partisans claim otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM
 
1,191 posts, read 482,336 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Nope. Not sure why this is even a debate or a discussion. Romonowski was just another player in a myriad oc players. Tom Jackson deserves more consideration than does Romonowski.
Tom Jackson has minimal postseason honors (1/3/none), and though he reportedly looks better than his honors on film, I wouldn’t consider him a viable HoF option. Randy Gradishar on the other hand, really does belong in and is one of the HoF’s more egregious snubs. His honors profile is strong at 4/7/none, he won a DPOY award, he deserves pioneer credit as one of the first highly effective ILBs in a 3-4 defense, and he reportedly also looks great in film study. He’s the major Bronco Seniors snub out there, and hopefully he gets a chance before the committee down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top