U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,325,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think you mean 1976 - Sugar Bear Hamilton getting called for roughing Ken Stabler on a 4th down play.
To this day, probably the worst call made by a referee I have seen. It literally cost, in my opinion, the Patriots a Super Bowl.

Billy Sullivan was so upset that he vowed Ben Dreith would never referee another Patriots game after that loss. And to my knowledge, he didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,844,202 times
Some years ago.....

Lions at Bears, game goes into OT.

Lions win the toss and Coach Morhninweg elects to kick cuz the Lions D was playing well and he wanted to go with the wind direction.

It was sudden death, butthead. Get the ball first.

Marty still hasn't been a head coach since.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,794,076 times
This game

Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
October 6, 2003, Monday night football Bucs vs Colts. Bucs blow 21 point lead with with less than 4 mins left in regulation. The game went into overtime, where the Colts kicked a field goal to win.
I thought Bucs team was defntely going back to the SB after beating the Eagles again at the Linc in 2003 during week 1. I think they never recovered from losing that 35-14 lead in the 4th qtr.

If you think about it a 21 point lead is not that big. One TD and you are down 14.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,300,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
12/1/85 - Eagles take 23-0 lead into the 4th quarter against the Vikings but Minnesota scores 4 touchdowns in the last 11-12 minutes to win 28-23. The Eagles were 6-6 going into the game and a fringe playoff contender (they hadn't been in the playoffs in 4 years so being a fringe contender was notable).
It was stated this morning by a NFL Historian that no NFL team ever scored 28 points to come back and win. I emailed him and reminded him of the niners scoring 28 pts in the 4th qtr against the Eagles. And you just brought up another game I have on VHS when the Vikings scored 28 pts in the 4th. Some historian he is

Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Some years ago.....

Lions at Bears, game goes into OT.

Lions win the toss and Coach Morhninweg elects to kick cuz the Lions D was playing well and he wanted to go with the wind direction.

It was sudden death, butthead. Get the ball first.

Marty still hasn't been a head coach since.
I was at this game. Someone nearly sacked Jim Miller towards the end (may have been the same play they tied it up). After the OT coin toss I heard over the PA system "Detroit wins the toss, the elect to kick" and I went bezerk. My friends said I heard it wrong...no one there actually thought the Lions won and chose to kick. They convinced me that was case but after getting to the car and turning on the radio it was revealed that Marty was that stupid.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,844,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I was at this game. Someone nearly sacked Jim Miller towards the end (may have been the same play they tied it up). After the OT coin toss I heard over the PA system "Detroit wins the toss, the elect to kick" and I went bezerk. My friends said I heard it wrong...no one there actually thought the Lions won and chose to kick. They convinced me that was case but after getting to the car and turning on the radio it was revealed that Marty was that stupid.
My Dad and I went to see the Giants play the Lions in ye olde Silderdome in Pontiac, MI.

We were 5 rows from the field and we could hear the Giants D yelling what play the Lions were going to run next.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,991,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought Bucs team was defntely going back to the SB after beating the Eagles again at the Linc in 2003 during week 1. I think they never recovered from losing that 35-14 lead in the 4th qtr.

If you think about it a 21 point lead is not that big. One TD and you are down 14.
You're right, its not that big, especially against a guy like Peyton Manning. But there was only 4 mins left, and the Bucs were suppose to have the league's best defense at the time. Like you said, after loosing that game, the team seemed to fall apart after that. After winning a Superbowl, you have high expectations for your team, that's why it was so painful.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,212,348 times
the playoffs of my junior year. 4th and goal on the 2, down by 4 points, less than a minute winding down on the clock. we have a dive called to my hole (0), and i'm about to plow this chump into the turf in front of me and we are going to win the game and head to the state championship.

but... false start. on me.

its now 4th and 7, we have to throw the ball, it is incomplete, season is over.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,991,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the playoffs of my junior year. 4th and goal on the 2, down by 4 points, less than a minute winding down on the clock. we have a dive called to my hole (0), and i'm about to plow this chump into the turf in front of me and we are going to win the game and head to the state championship.

but... false start. on me.

its now 4th and 7, we have to throw the ball, it is incomplete, season is over.
Ouch . Make all of us spectators' most painful games seem a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football