Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times

Advertisements

I respect him as a player and wish him the best, but like others said, he was in way over his head. Hopefully his replacement along with the GM will know what they are doing. Get a QB, a DB and another O-lineman and we'll be good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Firing Singletary does not fix broken system

The problems for the Niners transcend the head coach. You could put Vince Lombardi in there and he too would fail. Owners don't know squat about the game and appear to approach it more like a business rather than making decisions to fit a scheme that will consistently produce a winning franchise no matter who is playing. Those people in the organization who select talent are atrocious. One may say that selecting the right QB would tranform this franchise, but let's be real, it's a team game. Even Joe Montana might've floundered in a system that lacks imagination, creativity, and effective schemes. QB could not sit in the pocket because of the continual collapse of the O-line. The ineffectiveness of the Niner O-line has been a continual problem for the Niners since Steve Young's final years. Defense against the pass was again ineffective. This too has been a problem since the final years of Young. I always hear that this team has loads of talent, but I don't believe it. I don't place the blame squarely on Singletary.

I like Singletary. He is a man of character and depth. He demanded the most that his players could give, and asked only that they commit themselves like he did when he was a player. He's a religious man, and did his best to bring this team together. Unfortunately, many of the young players today are disrespectful of such an approach. In his first full year of coaching, he noticed that so-called talented receiver Vernon Davis was dropping passes that he should've caught during practice. He would run the play repeatedly, reminding this young man that he supposedly had "great hands" and should've been able to make those plays. Davis would go on to sport a mohawk, get into a confrontation with high draft pick Michael Crabtree, get into a spat with another player, and overly celebrate after scoring TDs. After one fight in practice, Davis screamed at one peacemaker to "f--k you n---a!" The man is pure ghetto. No character, no class, and apparently not too bright. This is the caliber of player that an old school HOFer like Singletary had to try to relate to. It didn't stop there. Michael Crabtree was drafted and so concerned about his pay in comparison to the other high draft pics that he held out. He turned out not to be as effective as predicted. He too could be seen overly celebrating on TD catches, apparently oblivious to the sorry record and reputation of his team. Shameless buffonery and no character. Alex Smith was drafted first and grossly overpaid. Pathetic that the future of this team was in the hands of talent scouts who were absolute imbeciles in selecting this young man. They thought the court jester-looking Smith could transform this franchise and be another Joe Montana, while a better QB who they passed up (Aaron Rodgers) led the consistently better Packers to more successful seasons. Alex Smith had the utter gaul to publically argue with his coach in that much-televised spat. Absolutely disrespectful, untalented, overpaid punk. Smith better suited as a stockperson at Costco in podunk, Utah. Speaking of arguing with his coach, Troy Smith the ultimate symbol of troubled youth. A Heisman Trophy winner, he was snubbed in favor of Brady Quinn by his hometown team Cleveland Browns. He beat out Quinn to win the award. He apparently is a tormented individual, trying desperately to live up to the reputation of a Heisman Trophy QB, but finding humself competing with inferior QB Alex Smith on a pathetic team run by clueless owners. His arguing with Singletary appeared to be more than about his performance against the Rams. The man has deeper issues and this was clearly on display. Singletary not a psychiatrist. It goes on, but I'll stop here.

So I believe that the failures of the Niners go far beyond Singletary. He should still get paid what is due him on his contract. I hope he goes on to be appreciated under a better system someplace else, maybe not as head coach. He's a good man, but not the type of football mind that's needed to transform this team.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Hey Lexus!

Sounds like the Lions under Matt Millen.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Unfortunately, being a good human being doesn't make you a successful NFL head coach. I hope he finds his niche down the road.
Same with being a good player. Dick Lebeau is the only HOF caliber player - from any sport - that I can thnk of that went on to be a good coach or manager. And even Lebeau washed out as a head coach. His success has all been as a coordinator.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
You NEED a quarterback!
Wouldn't be first coach canned from bad QB play. But he needed a few more years as a coordinator.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Same with being a good player. Dick Lebeau is the only HOF caliber player - from any sport - that I can thnk of that went on to be a good coach or manager. And even Lebeau washed out as a head coach. His success has all been as a coordinator.
Bud Grant was a first round pick of the Eagles (and the Lakers).

Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Default Agreed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
You NEED a quarterback!
I was screaming No to the TV when the Niners drafted A. Smith. Poor pick!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post

Don't they have another coach killer David Carr as backup?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
Oildog-your killing me. Stop highlighting all of the poor decisions. Its been a tough 15 or so years already. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
I agree that Singletary was in over his head. You just can't promote a positional coach, completely bypassing all they learn as a coordinator, and expect them to succeed as a head coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The problem is that Nolan ruined Smith. He kept trying to completely delegate the offense to whoever he had as an OC. Guys like McCarthy and Martz are good at what they do but run completely different offenses. You can't just change that every other year with a young quarterback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football