Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

Public Safety trumps entertainment. The Governor didn't think it through, he should put safety first. Always.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Fast Eddie Spendell is a boob....thank God he's a lame duck and his final term is just about up.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
they don't get near the bad weather of those other cities (having lived in 3 of them)

Philadelphia does not handle winter storms well at all .... it's more of a cold rain type of place (personally I much prefer the snow when in a city - you can usually just brush that off .... better than getting drenched and then blasted with a cold wind)

I lived in the city so I didn't have to drive that much - but the bus systems get bogged down pretty bad during storms and that has a ripple effect on the rest of public transport .... however, that is more noticeable during commuting hours

if what Rendell said was true and there was only 2-3" in Montgomery County & Wilmington - combine that with 95 & the slow kill being clear .... combine that with a pretty good regional rail network and subway system (with the broad street line stopping right at the sport complexes) ... they should go ahead and play it .... let the people decide at that point

kind of an odd notion for the league shortly after the commish was standing at TCF Bank stadium in bad conditions and having scheduled a NY/NJ superbowl

I remember when living there I had suite tickets to the sixers .... they had about a 4-6" storm that hit during the day .... it was bedlam in the city ....... they delayed the game because players couldn't get there on time, it took forever to get to work, but the trains ran fine to & from the stadium ..... empty building though for the game

Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The hockey games in NY and NJ on Sunday didnt get postponed even though NY/NJ got it worse from all reports.
Maybe they should have:

NJ Devils Elias and Zajac actually got stuck in their car on the highway for almost eight hours after the game Sunday night.

Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac get stuck in blizzard - NorthJersey.com

Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
maybe it's b/c you're from NC but seriously, that's not extreme weather for the midwest or east coast or inter mountain US.

people learn to deal with it just like people from the south learn to deal with humitdity and high temps and "palmetto bugs" aka. flying cockroaches in the south.

there's just an inherent bias against cold weather in our society - truth is hot weather kills way more people that cold weather ever does.
We all have our opinions! That being said, I am a NJ native and lived there for more than half of my life. Thus, I have enjoyed the hot and cold that that area has to offer.

I still stand by my opinion that putting that many people on the roads with the inherent snow emergency forecasted & the deteriorating conditions throughout the day (not even adding in alcohol, etc) would have been a very irresponsible civic decision to make.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Cris Collinsworth authored a very, very timely article here, concerning future litigious parameters that could ensue on future games not cancelled, using this game as a precedent, benchmark case:

Collinsworth: Does canceled game increase liability for NFL? - Sunday Night Football- NBC Sports

Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM

357 posts, read 727,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Maybe they should have:

NJ Devils Elias and Zajac actually got stuck in their car on the highway for almost eight hours after the game Sunday night.

Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac get stuck in blizzard - NorthJersey.com
i'm sure this will be passed over.

1. holiday weekend
2. cities are now looking to close 'budget gaps', especially nyc and philly

Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Cris Collinsworth authored a very, very timely article here, concerning future litigious parameters that could ensue on future games not cancelled, using this game as a precedent, benchmark case:

Collinsworth: Does canceled game increase liability for NFL? - Sunday Night Football- NBC Sports
Very interesting Mike. Thanks for posting it.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
These days, the NFL has developed a reputation for shooting from the hip.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,535 times
Better safe than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football