U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,848,688 times

Advertisements

"Nation of Wusses"

The city of Philadelphia is set to host the NFL's first Tuesday night game in 64 years, and Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell (D) couldn't be more upset about it.
"It goes against everything that football is all about," Rendell said Monday on radio station 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.
"My biggest beef is that this is part of what's happened in this country," Rendell said. "I think we've become wussies."

"We've become a nation of wusses. The Chinese are kicking our butt in everything," Rendell added. "If this was in China do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."

For his part, Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was also surprised by the league's decision.
"The roads are bad for East Coast standards," Shiancoe said. "But if this was in the Midwest there would be no way that this would be delayed. No way it would be delayed in the Midwest. No way. ... It's something that baffles me. But I'm not here to make decisions on when games are played."

Full Story: Pennsylvania Governor: Postponement proves U.S. a 'nation of wusses' - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
"Nation of Wusses"

"We've become a nation of wusses. The Chinese are kicking our butt in everything," Rendell added. "If this was in China do you think the Chinese would have called off the game? People would have been marching down to the stadium, they would have walked and they would have been doing calculus on the way down."
Ho Ho Ho! Glorious Leader Mao say; "American Round Eyes are soft like Andy Reid's fat tummy!"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/China_national_football_team_06-JUN-2008-ANZstad.jpg/350px-China_national_football_team_06-JUN-2008-ANZstad.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,238,374 times
Yeah Gov, nothing says public safety like putting another 50K people on the roads at night in a snowstorm!!!

I don't like the decision to postpone the game, but it actually makes perfect sense in a non-football POV.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 PM

13,226 posts, read 17,978,149 times
Good drivers know how to drive properly in poor weather conditions.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM

23,653 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
"Nation of Wusses"

The city of Philadelphia is set to host the NFL's first Tuesday night game in 64 years, and Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell (D) couldn't be more upset about it.
"It goes against everything that football is all about," Rendell said Monday on radio station 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia.
"My biggest beef is that this is part of what's happened in this country," Rendell said. "I think we've become wussies."

For his part, Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was also surprised by the league's decision.
"The roads are bad for East Coast standards," Shiancoe said. "But if this was in the Midwest there would be no way that this would be delayed. No way it would be delayed in the Midwest. No way. ... It's something that baffles me. But I'm not here to make decisions on when games are played."

Full Story: Pennsylvania Governor: Postponement proves U.S. a 'nation of wusses' - ESPN
I think that Rendell was right. The fans should have been given the power to decide themselves if they were gonna go to the game or not and deal with that mess. Making the decision for them sets a bad precedent. Is every game in Buffalo, Chicago, Minneapolis and New England going to be postponed due to snow from now on?

If I recall the year that the NY Giants won it all, they played in GB in single digit weather which is pretty dangerous itself even without snow. I think that was a packed house. I remember this b/c a fire in my building forced everyone out of the building into single degree wind chills that same night in the DC area. So I know Green Bay was even colder.

The hockey games in NY and NJ on Sunday didnt get postponed even though NY/NJ got it worse from all reports.

I don't think the governor was out of bounds at all. I think the NFL set a bad precedent with this.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM

19,413 posts, read 17,510,233 times
It would have been fun... for those sitting home watching it. Ed can blame the NFL and be safe knowing they can take all the blame. But the idea of them having the game was ridiculous. They showed the stadium at what would have been game time. 6 inches of snow and 35 MPH winds. The city eventually got a foot. Parking would have been terrible, driving would have been terrible. Lawsuits would have been crazy, people slipping on snow and ice,frost bite, people getting pelted by snowballs. The city was dreading having to host that game and wanted it postponed more than anybody. Ed Rendell is not a stupid guy, far from it. But he made a very stupid statement. He's almost done anyway, his term is about up and any job he can get in the Obama adminsitration won't last long anyway. I'd have liked to have seen the game played but they'd have had to ban the fans for safety reasons. Who'd have coughed up all the money they would have lost?
A few inches of snow in a smaller storm, then yes, play the game. Drenching rain, play it. The real wussies are the teams with domes.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I think that Rendell was right. The fans should have been given the power to decide themselves if they were gonna go to the game or not and deal with that mess. Making the decision for them sets a bad precedent. Is every game in Buffalo, Chicago, Minneapolis and New England going to be postponed due to snow from now on?

If I recall the year that the NY Giants won it all, they played in GB in single digit weather which is pretty dangerous itself even without snow. I think that was a packed house. I remember this b/c a fire in my building forced everyone out of the building into single degree wind chills that same night in the DC area. So I know Green Bay was even colder.

The hockey games in NY and NJ on Sunday didnt get postponed even though NY/NJ got it worse from all reports.

I don't think the governor was out of bounds at all. I think the NFL set a bad precedent with this.
+1 ,repped

great point about the hockey games in NJ/NY

and being a packers fan I remember well the NFC championship game a few years ago aginst the Giants. It was the 3rd coldest game ever played (so they say) and I'd actually submit that that is far more dangerous weather, you could much more easily get frostbitten and lost a finger or toe. Yet 70,000 showed up. And yes, GB is a bit more cold and snowy on average but to say that Philly residents don't know how to handle snow and cold, it's not atlanta or some southern city where if they do get even 3'' of snow it'll shut down the whole city b/c they don't have the plows, salt trucks, infastructure to handle it. But Philly? child please.

for the people from the south and other areas when it's bitter cold like for that game several years ago it actually never snows. when it snows it's not ever bitterly cold. it's kind of a trade off thing. there are times when it'll get -20, -30 below but it never snows then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Yeah Gov, nothing says public safety like putting another 50K people on the roads at night in a snowstorm!!!

I don't like the decision to postpone the game, but it actually makes perfect sense in a non-football POV.
maybe it's b/c you're from NC but seriously, that's not extreme weather for the midwest or east coast or inter mountain US.

people learn to deal with it just like people from the south learn to deal with humitdity and high temps and "palmetto bugs" aka. flying cockroaches in the south.

there's just an inherent bias against cold weather in our society - truth is hot weather kills way more people that cold weather ever does.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM

the Ice Bowl of 67' would never have been played in today's NFL.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 AM

4,853 posts, read 6,370,582 times
People need to also realize that Philadelphia is not snow ready like Buffalo, Chicago or Minneapolis. The NY/NJ hockey games are a poor example too. Most people use public transit for those games. Had the NFL not postponed the game and Philly was hit like it was last winter people would be wondering why the game wasn't postponed. Lose/lose situation for NFL. Rendell is an idiot.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
People need to also realize that Philadelphia is not snow ready like Buffalo, Chicago or Minneapolis. The NY/NJ hockey games are a poor example too. Most people use public transit for those games. Had the NFL not postponed the game and Philly was hit like it was last winter people would be wondering why the game wasn't postponed. Lose/lose situation for NFL. Rendell is an idiot.
bull****, they get bad weather just like those cities

and there's a ****ing subway stop right next to the stadium, if you'd bothered to read the posts in this thread so far you'd have learned that already.

you've got to be a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or