U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM

711 posts, read 979,436 times

Advertisements

It's a ridiculous rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,785,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
So much for judging by content rather than by color... What a ridiculous rule.. Imagine if the NBA had a rule that 70% of the players at tryouts had to be white as that is the percentage of the population?
The NBA would not be fun to watch-

The rule is stupid-hire the best candidate-I doubt Mike Tomlin became a coach because of this rule-he became a coach because he is qualified not because of the color of his skin.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
We could, BTW, have the first hispanic head coach in Ron Rivera (a very deserving man.)
Wouldn't be the first - there have been a couple of others - including a guy who was born in Mexico and a dirty raider who helped drive my favorite franchise into the ground...............

Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,072,814 times
can't remember when the rule was put into place, but it was when there were no white coaches at all (not so long ago). It did pave the way for those who deserved to be head coaches, but probably could be done away with now.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,939,730 times
here's a thought...

instead of the Rooney Rule, and trust me, i'm not in favor of forcing any owner's hand although it may be needed in some instances, how about before making a head coaching hire, you would need to interview a candidate that has never been a head coach??

there's seems to be a handful of HC's that are simply recycled each year regardless of their records...

anyhow, just a thought...

Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 AM

56 posts, read 109,234 times
The rooney rule is a joke and it isn't. NFL teams are going to hire who they want to hire. There is no way you are going to tell a Multi-Millionaire Businessman. Who he is going to have as a coach of his team. It isn't going to happen.

The whole purpose of the Rooney rule is to give minority coaches(not just Blacks) the opportunity to interview for the position. This gives the minority candidate the experience of going through the interview process. It gives teams the opportunity to see other candidates for positions of either head coach or some other coaching job.

But the bottom line is that the team is going to hire whomever they want to hire. That has never changed.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 4,785,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
here's a thought...

instead of the Rooney Rule, and trust me, i'm not in favor of forcing any owner's hand although it may be needed in some instances, how about before making a head coaching hire, you would need to interview a candidate that has never been a head coach??

there's seems to be a handful of HC's that are simply recycled each year regardless of their records...

anyhow, just a thought...
Yeah that worked for Denver.... Josh McDaniels was a joke

Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Yeah that worked for Denver.... Josh McDaniels was a joke
can't argue with you there...but there's always a bad apple in the bunch.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,723,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Mike Tomlin in my view is one of the 3 best head coaches in the NFL. The man knows his business. All he does is field a winning team, each year. Previously, Tony Dungy. Lovie Smith and Raheem Morris enjoyed very successful seasons. I can assure you these coaches were picked because of their character, and their intelligence, not because of some dumb rule.

But...

Russ Grimm was all set to be the next head coach, until the Steelers gave an interview to Mike Tomlin to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Yes, Tomlin was picked for his 'character and intelligence'... but he only got the chance to exhibit those BECAUSE of the Rooney Rule!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But...

Russ Grimm was all set to be the next head coach, until the Steelers gave an interview to Mike Tomlin to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Yes, Tomlin was picked for his 'character and intelligence'... but he only got the chance to exhibit those BECAUSE of the Rooney Rule!
actually, Ron Rivera was interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule, Pittsburgh then intervied Tomlin and found their coach...and that's straight from Rooney's mouth.

my sports radio station that i listen to has been pounding this subject to death, and the more they discuss it the more it makes sense.

these minority coaches are getting an interview, whether they (the minority coaches) believe they're legitimate candidates or not, they're finding out what's involved with the interview process, and that is worth something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football