U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who will take everything?
New England Patriots 15 46.88%
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 18.75%
Indianapolis Colts 0 0%
Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens 1 3.13%
New York Jets 0 0%
Atlanta Falcons 4 12.50%
Chicago Bears 1 3.13%
Philadelphia Eagles 1 3.13%
Seattle Seahawks 1 3.13%
New Orleans Saints 0 0%
Green Bay Packers 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,157,363 times
Reputation: 1644

Advertisements

Well, by the Pats/Jets series record (51-51-1), it'll be an intersting game none the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,929,006 times
Reputation: 1571
Wow... I had no idea those were the numbers. Thats insane. Where did you find that? Can you post the link? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,157,363 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Wow... I had no idea those were the numbers. Thats insane. Where did you find that? Can you post the link? Thanks
Here yah go...........it is crazy! Patriots host Jets in divisional playoff game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,929,006 times
Reputation: 1571
Thats insane... and the rest of the link is really informative of their whole history from college buds, to former coaches playing for opposing teams, its really cool. Thnks man. Still gonna be rooting against you guys like crazy come Sunday at 4:30pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,999 posts, read 3,157,363 times
Reputation: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Thats insane... and the rest of the link is really informative of their whole history from college buds, to former coaches playing for opposing teams, its really cool. Thnks man. Still gonna be rooting against you guys like crazy come Sunday at 4:30pm.

Wouldn't want it any other way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,102,246 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Obviously I disagree with almost all you have stated. The Pats have a 1,000 yard rusher with the Law Firm, a defense that has done nothing but improve with each week, smart receivers that run great routes, and TEs that are the best tandem in the playoffs. I just don't see how the Jets can have a FOOTHOLD on this game.

Their receivers may be "smart", but the fact is that they weren't good enough to make the grade on other teams that had very little wr talent themselves. That should tell you something.......that they are not that good. They are products of a system that has a QB that runs it to perfection. That's why I say PRESS PRESS PRESS, make the receivers beat you not Brady. Realistically you are gassing the TE up, really Heath Miller, Todd Heap, and Dustin Keller are all better than all the Pats TEs combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,580,217 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
This is all pointless, nobody cares if a team is from the South or the North. People pick the teams they think will win the game. There is no conspiracy theory. Not too many people have picked the Bears to do anything in the post season and they are in the North. The only reason people are picking them for this game is because they are playing the Seahawks. The only reason it why it seems like people pick North teams more often is because there are more teams in Northern states than in Southern states. Same thing goes for the Commentators and Sportscasters, there are more from the north because the population is higher in the North and most of the stations are located in New York City.
You don't think their regional interests/preferences show? It's obvious. On Monday Night Football, they referred to the NFC South as "not having a national audience" but implied so with with the NFC North and NFC East.

By a 3-1 ratio, commentators are favoring the Packers over the Falcons. Similarly, the almost always favor northern teams over southern teams, unless the southern team has gone above and beyond in the winning category, far beyond their northern counterparts, such as the Saints in winning last year's super bowl. Yet, the northern teams do not have to do as much to get their vote. This is example of regional bias, which they themselves may even be unaware of. However, it easily comes through with such statements, as mentioned above, considering that northern reporters and analysts outnumber southern ones on the big networks by nearly a 9 to 1 ratio.

Do you really think that there are more northern teams than southern teams? Let's see.

Northern Teams

New England Patriots
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

Washington and Baltimore are in borderland area.

Southern Teams

Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
New Orleans Saints
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans

So there's three more northern teams. It's not like there's a large marginal difference in terms of number between the regions. Technically, according to the census bureau, Washington and Baltimore are in the South, but since its really up for debate in this day and time, we'll not include them. St. Louis and Kansas City are borderline territory as well. While yes, they're in the midwest, they're really not northern, per se. You could say the same for Cincinnati, but since it's within Ohio, I'll give it to the north.

That said, the number of teams means nothing. I'm simply referring to the BIASED analysis and favortism that shows through by an overwhelming margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
 
96 posts, read 141,056 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Where did you get that from? That is the first time I ever heard anyone say that we are the worst fans ever. Actually I've heard we were the best fans to be around from plenty of other teams fans. We don't hit people with snowballs or pour beer on people, or trow trash on the field because our team is losing. Sometimes I wish we would though, lol. Like when Ben got head butted, I wish someone would have poured beer on him as he was being escorted off the field.
Trust me, there is a large and growing Anti-Steeler Nation out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
 
96 posts, read 141,056 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburghfan View Post
I was wondering too. Hockyluvr, are you from Philly?
No. My team isn't from the same state or division as the Steelers. I would rather be wearing a Giants jersey in the middle of an Eagles home game than sit next to one Steeler fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,102,246 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyluvr View Post
Trust me, there is a large and growing Anti-Steeler Nation out there.

If you say so, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top