U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who will take everything?
New England Patriots 15 46.88%
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 18.75%
Indianapolis Colts 0 0%
Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%
Baltimore Ravens 1 3.13%
New York Jets 0 0%
Atlanta Falcons 4 12.50%
Chicago Bears 1 3.13%
Philadelphia Eagles 1 3.13%
Seattle Seahawks 1 3.13%
New Orleans Saints 0 0%
Green Bay Packers 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: NE CT
1,496 posts, read 2,915,706 times
Reputation: 712

Advertisements

I'll cut to the chase. The Superbowl:

Falcons & Patriots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,103,010 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There's three excellent teams record-wise that I don't think are nearly as good as people say and this will weigh in heavily in their games

1st Pats. @ Dorian thank you is all I have to say. It's amazing how many intelligent sports fans become prisoners of the moment and assume that because the statistics say that no team that has gotten smacked like the Jets and made the playoffs to face said team has won, the same will happen to them. That is the most idiotic logic I've ever seen. You are talking about different teams, different comptition, only thing thats the same is the scenario. Now I will say that I will be pleasantly surprised if the Jets pull off this "huge" (media says) upset. However, I do think that unlike most people say, it will be very competitive and if the Jets pull this off I see them as the new favorites for the Superbowl simply because they are set up very well against probably every other team except the Ravens. Their rushing D will pose a problem which is what the Jets need to have for Sanchez to flourish

2nd team is the Steelers. I do think that this team is the best of the high seeded teams and this has more to do with the Ravens playing better football with each week than anything else. Their defense especially is probably playing the best defense since they won the championship in 2000. Reed is balling right now and Flacco is finally being consistent. Rushing game will be key and I trust Ray Rice finally playing better moreso than the Steelers rush. I have this as another tough game but Ravens will edge out 24-19.

3rd team is the Falcons for similar reasons as the Steelers. They are playing well right now but unfortunately they are playing a team thats red hot right now in the Pack. Rodgers is finally producing what most thought he would do the whole season. Combine that with their depth at running game (who knew there back-ups would be this good) as well as a plethora of great wide receivers and I just don't see the Falcons beating this explosive team.

My picks for this week:

Bears over Seahawks- Im sorry but people need to wake up about the Seahawks. They beat a team that passed the ball 7000 times that game and had around a 40% completion rate. These were obviously not the same Saints as last year and people need to realize that. The fact that they did so well in the regular season is a major accomplishment in itself. Although Bears are not that great a team I see them beating the Seahawks by a touchdown.

Packers over Falcons - Reasons I mentioned above

Ravens over Steelers - Reasons I mentioned above

My hearts involved in this one Jets over Pats (real close). I could definitely see this game going the other way especially with Rex running his mouth so much, but my gut tells me that Jets will play inspired ball after that horrible display in the regular season and they will be as prepared as any team will ever be in a playoff game to face the Pats. What can the Pats really review? They played as perfect a game as you can play against the Jets. I know Belichick and Brady always seem to be prepared but I think that Jets quarterback aside are pretty evenly matched with the Pats on offense and the Defense no questions when focused is a slam dunk to the Jets. Preparation will favor Ryan as well and I think they will win in a nail biter. Cardiac Jets one more time...



I agree with most that you have said. Being a Steelers fan I would love to be able to say the Steelers are going to win this game this weekend easily, but of course I can't. Nobody in their right mind could say either team will win that game easily. I have a real love/hate feeling about the Steelers/Ravens match-ups. It is one of the greatest rivalries in football and is so evenly matched that it is just easy to expect a close competitive game all the way down to the last possession. This one I would have to go the opposite of your pick. I will take the Steelers over the Ravens. They are almost even, running game can go either way, Receivers on the Ravens are slightly better, the pass rush for the Steelers is slightly better(very slightly), return game is equal, kick coverage is in favor of the Ravens, secondary almost even, but very slightly in favor of the Ravens, kickers are basically even, coaching slight edge to the Steelers, but what has been the deciding deference in the match-ups especially in the playoffs has been the Quarterbacks. This has been in favor of the Steelers and I still believe it is. To me Flacco is a very good QB, but Roethlisberger is an elite QB and just makes the plays down the stretch to win games. I feel like Ben plays his best in close games. Probably more importantly he doesn't make the critical turnover down the stretch against the Ravens. Flacco on the other hand usually makes that one critical mistake when the games on the line. I could see him possably changing it around and the Ravens winning this game, but I still would put my money on Ben and the Steelers. I believe the winner of this game has a good shot at going to the SB if they don't knock too many of each other out of the game. I think the AFC games will be decided by 7 points total for both games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,103,010 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You honestly think that Green Bay is going to beat Atlanta? Seriously, the Falcons beat Green Bay in Green Bay. What makes you think that Green Bay is going to beat the Falcons in Atlanta, when they've only lost twice at home over the past two years, both of which were within a touchdown.

For all the Falcons naysayers, go right ahead. It's typical. The mainstream "northern" announcers love to hype up teams up north, and love to downplay teams in the south, exception being the Saints, after they had won the Super Bowl and proven themselves.

What has Green Bay proven? That they had Brett Favre seasons ago and haven't done jack since?

"Northern announcers", that is a new one. I never heard anyone say that before. I have heard people claim that in college the annoucers favored the east over the west. Once again the regular season means nothing. I think this will be a good game, but I am picking the Packers because of that defense. The Packers are a weird team because before last weeks game, they had basically no running game. They are unique because most teams that have a lock down defense run the ball well, but the Packers don't. The Packers are a threat to every team left in the playoffs because how they are built. That defense can give problems to any offense left and if they can continue keep that running game up that they had against Philly they will keep defenses off balance and they will not be able to key in on Rodgers and the passing game. But just like every game in these playoffs it can go either way, maybe they lose and I am wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,581,022 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It has NOTHING to do w/"northern" announcers (whateve that means...), jeez.....

It has to do w/teams being there before....Atlanta is very young and unproven.....

You mention the Saints but then call them the "exception.."

Cmon buddy, grow some thicker skin already.....
How is Atlanta young? Most of the players have been on the team for several seasons. If you're talking about the franchise, the Falcons have been around for 45 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,581,022 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
"Northern announcers", that is a new one. I never heard anyone say that before. I have heard people claim that in college the annoucers favored the east over the west. Once again the regular season means nothing. I think this will be a good game, but I am picking the Packers because of that defense. The Packers are a weird team because before last weeks game, they had basically no running game. They are unique because most teams that have a lock down defense run the ball well, but the Packers don't. The Packers are a threat to every team left in the playoffs because how they are built. That defense can give problems to any offense left and if they can continue keep that running game up that they had against Philly they will keep defenses off balance and they will not be able to key in on Rodgers and the passing game. But just like every game in these playoffs it can go either way, maybe they lose and I am wrong.
Yes, "NORTHERN ANNOUNCERS". They don't sound southern to me, unless you mention Terry Bradshaw.

I get tired of the harping of lesser teams like the Packers, Vikings, Giants, Eagles, and Jets.

Even the announcers on Monday Night Football stated that the NFC South isn't as "glamorous" for a national audience as the other (read, their favorite northern team) conferences.

I'm going to put it straight to you. The Packers will go down hard, and hard they will go. It's not going to be as close as it was in Lambeau. Not in the Georgia Dome, it won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin's great north woods
1,238 posts, read 1,961,772 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You honestly think that Green Bay is going to beat Atlanta? Seriously, the Falcons beat Green Bay in Green Bay. What makes you think that Green Bay is going to beat the Falcons in Atlanta, when they've only lost twice at home over the past two years, both of which were within a touchdown.

For all the Falcons naysayers, go right ahead. It's typical. The mainstream "northern" announcers love to hype up teams up north, and love to downplay teams in the south, exception being the Saints, after they had won the Super Bowl and proven themselves.

What has Green Bay proven? That they had Brett Favre seasons ago and haven't done jack since?

The Packer/Falcon game was in Atlanta, and the Falcons won by 3, wow. Not that that has anything to do with this weekends game.
You said it yourself. Win something and you might get some love. The Falcons have won a bunch of home games, awesome. The only thing I have against the Falcons is that they are playing my team. Outside of that, they are a really good team and I wish them well against anyone but the Packers.

Since the post Favre era, the Pack and the Falcons are about even. They both lost to the Cardinals in the playoffs. Way cool...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,103,010 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Yes, "NORTHERN ANNOUNCERS". They don't sound southern to me, unless you mention Terry Bradshaw.

I get tired of the harping of lesser teams like the Packers, Vikings, Giants, Eagles, and Jets.

Even the announcers on Monday Night Football stated that the NFC South isn't as "glamorous" for a national audience as the other (read, their favorite northern team) conferences.

I'm going to put it straight to you. The Packers will go down hard, and hard they will go. It's not going to be as close as it was in Lambeau. Not in the Georgia Dome, it won't.

Most people in television went to speech class in school and learned how to mask their accents. You would never know where any of them where from if you didn't look it up. Terry Bradshaw is an exception. I agree with you that a lot of people don't give the Falcons enough respect, but it is not because they are in the south. I wouldn't mind seeing them win the game this week, but I just think GB will edge them out. Your how south hating theory doesn't make sense anyway because there are people who picked Dallas to go to the SB like 3 years in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
1,302 posts, read 4,103,010 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
How is Atlanta young? Most of the players have been on the team for several seasons. If you're talking about the franchise, the Falcons have been around for 45 years.

I think they meant that they lack playoff experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
How is Atlanta young? Most of the players have been on the team for several seasons. If you're talking about the franchise, the Falcons have been around for 45 years.
young= lack of playoff experience.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,839 posts, read 7,900,925 times
Reputation: 12690
Allrighty then...... This sums up just about everything the Ravens feel about the Steelers! This should be a nasty matchup. I look forward to it.

Terrell Suggs sends subtle message to Pittsburgh in T-shirt form - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top