U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,391,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can someone post up the current vegas odds to win the superbowl by team? I can't access it but I am betting it makes my point.
Ask and ye shall receive

To win SB:

Falcons: 6/1

Ravens: 14/1

Bears: 12/1

Packers: 12/1

Colts: 16/1

Chiefs: 40/1

Pats: 9/5

Saints: 10/1

Jets: 20/1

Eagles: 11/1

Steelers: 11/2

Seahawks: lol (seriously tho, 100/1)

I would say this makes your point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,827,011 times
Short answer as to why they don't get any respect?

They're the Falcons.

What I mean by that is that they haven't exactly had a long-standing tradition of excellence, have had a history of collapses and coming up short, and haven't exactly wowed a lot of people this season--mostly people who haven't seen them, which is most of the nation as they do not exactly have a strong national following as some teams do.

Now, don't take it that I think that, nor that the above is true. But I believe that is the perception among many people.

This season they look for real to me. I expect those that will be facing them will have all due respect for them and their abilities.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,731,876 times
I'd have to agree w/alot of what Skinem said....

Home field throughout the playoffs are giving them a huge boost....

If they had to go on the road I don't think they'd be favorites...

just my 2 sense

Old 01-05-2011, 01:38 PM

52,420 posts, read 42,160,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I meant a lot of the commentators, saying the Falcons are not for real, etc....
<shrug> there are so many commentators out there and psychologically we tend to notice comments that are irritating and make less note of the ones we agree with.

ESPN certainly has it's biases but here lies the thread title dead and buried.

Chiefs and Bears are by far the least respected playoff teams relative to their record and seeding and the vegas lines, ESPN ranking etc. all support that.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,731,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
<shrug> there are so many commentators out there and psychologically we tend to notice comments that are irritating and make less note of the ones we agree with.

ESPN certainly has it's biases but here lies the thread title dead and buried.

Chiefs and Bears are by far the least respected playoff teams relative to their record and seeding and the vegas lines, ESPN ranking etc. all support that.
I agree w/what vegas is saying...

Honestly, the top 2 seeds in the NFC (Atl & Chi) don't impress me as much as say the Pats and Steelers in the AFC.....

Maybe because they haven't been there (at the top) alot? Maybe because the 3,5 & 6 seeds in the NFC are very, very, good? I don't know.......

Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,556,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I don't mean that per se. But no one really ever talks about the Falcons in the same breath as the lesser Eagles, Saints, Packers, Bears ,etc.
They will go to the SB.........
It will be NE and ATL........
Kevin Kolb and co. beat the falcons so don't say they will be going to the superbowl. There is a really good chance that they will be in NFC championship game and then in the Superbowl.

Remember anything can happen so don't completely count out the seahawks

Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM

711 posts, read 983,084 times
I'm not sure the Falcons can go to the super bowl based on the strength of the NFC teams in the playoffs. My prediction are the Patriots vs Eagles.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 AM

13,240 posts, read 18,086,450 times
Devil's advocate

1. The Falcons are still young and inexperienced.
2. The Falcons still have yet to win a playoff game during the Matt Ryan/Mike Smith era.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

7,692 posts, read 9,536,852 times
The Falcons do not make many appearances on national TV...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM

8,123 posts, read 17,405,230 times
As I see it, the reason for the relative lack of respect for the Falcons, including myself, is two-fold. First of all, they have gone 13-3 by virtue of a high turnover ratio. The playoffs, one game and out, presents a greater arena and a team that is predicated on discipline and mistake free ball can suddenly become unglued with one turnover early in a game. I don't like the Falcons playing from behind. The only game they came back to win late was against Baltimore, when Ryan was asked to actually win a game. Their offensive numbers are mediocre, I think they are in the middle of the pack in yards per game rushing and passing.

Second, the team has performed as well as they have due to attrition, or lack thereof. There has only been one starter lost for the season due to injury. This is unprecedented. If you consider these factors, you realize the Falcons have been operating all year with a very low margin of error. One drive in one game can undo all of this, via a turnover or significant injury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football