U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,057,344 times
Reputation: 458

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Uh, not really.

The current Houston Texans are supposed to be in L.A. right now.

Thing is, their stadium issue heald them back and they didn't have good enough ownership.
if the Lakers or Dodgers left, moved out of L.A., their owners would be hated, villified the same way Art Modell and Bob Irsay were when they moved the Browns, Colts out of their original cities, but when the Rams and Raiders left, it was like people yawned, didn't care. As in there was no heavy protest to keep them in L.A.

 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,252 posts, read 19,271,677 times
Reputation: 7013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
if the Lakers or Dodgers left, moved out of L.A., their owners would be hated, villified the same way Art Modell and Bob Irsay were when they moved the Browns, Colts out of their original cities, but when the Rams and Raiders left, it was like people yawned, didn't care. As in there was no heavy protest to keep them in L.A.
'was like' being the key words there.

Even though it may seem that they don't want NFL in L.A., there are several people who do. It's not like ALL Angelinos don't want another team in the city.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,057,344 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
'was like' being the key words there.

Even though it may seem that they don't want NFL in L.A., there are several people who do. It's not like ALL Angelinos don't want another team in the city.
it gets boring having to settle for college football around here, i prefer the NFL, and i personally do not enjoy the commute to San Diego or up to the Bay Area, but nobody seems to care, well not literally, almost nobody
 
Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
927 posts, read 1,213,557 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
it gets boring having to settle for college football around here, i prefer the NFL, and i personally do not enjoy the commute to San Diego or up to the Bay Area, but nobody seems to care, well not literally, almost nobody
Try it from this persepctive. Imagine having no great 50 year history of NFL football in your community prior to the NFL leaving. How about never, ever having any NFL football to enjoy ever. And the nearest other NFL teams are 200 and 300 miles away respectively. This has been the plight of San Antonio football fans since there has been an NFL.

So I have little sympathy for those in Los Angeles who whine and cry about not having the NFL in town. When you look at a city like San Antonio, that has been really ignored by the league, you can understand what a genuine drought of NFL football is to these fans. I'm not saying that Angelinos don't have a right to complain. All I'm trying to convey is what it's like to have grown up in a place that's never had it's own NFL team. Trust me it's lousy.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,252 posts, read 19,271,677 times
Reputation: 7013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Try it from this persepctive. Imagine having no great 50 year history of NFL football in your community prior to the NFL leaving. How about never, ever having any NFL football to enjoy ever. And the nearest other NFL teams are 200 and 300 miles away respectively. This has been the plight of San Antonio football fans since there has been an NFL.

So I have little sympathy for those in Los Angeles who whine and cry about not having the NFL in town. When you look at a city like San Antonio, that has been really ignored by the league, you can understand what a genuine drought of NFL football is to these fans. I'm not saying that Angelinos don't have a right to complain. All I'm trying to convey is what it's like to have grown up in a place that's never had it's own NFL team. Trust me it's lousy.
Try growing up in a city with NO sports teams to call their own at all and having to live in the shadow of another city's teams...

Look, I can understand how ya feel about having no NFL and it it's anything, I would like to see NFL in San Antonio. Even before L.A.

Thing is, there's a SLIGHT chance of San Antonio getting their team before L.A. does. It's just truth. The NFL's been pushing to get back into the 2nd largest market in the country for years. And San Antonio has to do something about a stadium in order to get it to happen. Either build a new one (may cost at least $800 mil) or seriously upgrade the Alamodome, which could cost just as much as building a brand new one... probably even more.

It's not like San Antonio has NO shot at an NFL team, but unless the above mentioned happens, the focus is on Los Angeles.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Ohio
904 posts, read 1,641,323 times
Reputation: 1164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
'was like' being the key words there.

Even though it may seem that they don't want NFL in L.A., there are several people who do. It's not like ALL Angelinos don't want another team in the city.
That is what's annoying though. No other city outside of NYC (area) would get considered for an NFL team again once their original team left because of no support. This is Los Angeles' 3rd team, assuming they get one. When is enough simply enough? What, every 15 years the NFL should just keep giving Los Angeles a team and if it doesn't work out they'll just wait another 15 years to give them a new one? I get it, its the second biggest market, but either have a team or don't have a team. If it's not meant to be, then tough ****, the NFL has done fine without Los Angeles since they lost their team...again.

Thank God the city of Cleveland and the fans took Modell to court and the NFL knew we were good fans before that or else Cleveland probably never would have been considered for another team, and we all know they wouldn't if our team left again.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,057,344 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
'was like' being the key words there.

Even though it may seem that they don't want NFL in L.A., there are several people who do. It's not like ALL Angelinos don't want another team in the city.
yeah but most people in L.A. don't seem to care because L.A. is full of transplants, people that grew up somewhere else, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people in L.A. that want an NFL team and there are many who could care less, people always bring up the fact there is way too many things to do in L.A., which makes me wonder if L.A. is number 1 in things to do, more to do there than anywhere else
 
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,538 posts, read 22,098,599 times
Reputation: 33978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Try it from this persepctive. Imagine having no great 50 year history of NFL football in your community prior to the NFL leaving. How about never, ever having any NFL football to enjoy ever. And the nearest other NFL teams are 200 and 300 miles away respectively. This has been the plight of San Antonio football fans since there has been an NFL.

So I have little sympathy for those in Los Angeles who whine and cry about not having the NFL in town. When you look at a city like San Antonio, that has been really ignored by the league, you can understand what a genuine drought of NFL football is to these fans. I'm not saying that Angelinos don't have a right to complain. All I'm trying to convey is what it's like to have grown up in a place that's never had it's own NFL team. Trust me it's lousy.
hmmm, could have sworn with the Vikings lease having expired back on Jan 1st, they would be playing in SA this year
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
 
1,538 posts, read 5,299,340 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
when the Rams and Raiders left, it was like people yawned, didn't care. As in there was no heavy protest to keep them in L.A.
you're not even old enough to remember when the rams and raiders left los angeles, so i'm not sure why you're so fixated on the supposed indifference of the nfl fans in the southland.

besides, a) you're wrong and b) stadium and ownership issues are what caused the teams to leave town, not fan support.

this has been explained to you numerous times on these forums.

Quote:
i personally do not enjoy the commute to San Diego or up to the Bay Area, but nobody seems to care, well not literally, almost nobody
Quote:
yeah but most people in L.A. don't seem to care because L.A. is full of transplants, people that grew up somewhere else, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people in L.A. that want an NFL team and there are many who could care less, people always bring up the fact there is way too many things to do in L.A., which makes me wonder if L.A. is number 1 in things to do, more to do there than anywhere else
please, just stop. you're a teenager with a limited amount of world experience and understanding of the los angeles-area sports culture. not to mention, your circle of friends, acquaintances, and online buddies hardly constitutes "most people in LA" or indicates that "nobody seems to care".

again, you keep beating a dead horse with your remarks. it's gotten tiresome to say the least.

can you at least wait until farmers field receives final approval (or not) later this year before continuing with these repetitive posts about the nfl in los angeles?
 
Old 02-22-2012, 04:54 PM
 
1,538 posts, read 5,299,340 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
That is what's annoying though. No other city outside of NYC (area) would get considered for an NFL team again once their original team left because of no support. This is Los Angeles' 3rd team, assuming they get one. When is enough simply enough? What, every 15 years the NFL should just keep giving Los Angeles a team and if it doesn't work out they'll just wait another 15 years to give them a new one? I get it, its the second biggest market, but either have a team or don't have a team. If it's not meant to be, then tough ****, the NFL has done fine without Los Angeles since they lost their team...again.

Thank God the city of Cleveland and the fans took Modell to court and the NFL knew we were good fans before that or else Cleveland probably never would have been considered for another team, and we all know they wouldn't if our team left again.
nonsense. the rams and raiders left los angeles due to stadium issues and carpetbagging owners who jumped at the chance to take advantage of sweetheart stadium deals in other cities - you know, just like what happened with the browns and oilers in the '90s and the raiders, colts, and cardinals in the '80s. in each and every one of these cases, the franchise relocation had nothing to do with fan support.

and besides, the rams were in LA for 49 years and set attendance records during some of those seasons. they certainly didn't leave town because of a lack of fans. it's not like the team flopped after only a handful of years in town as you suggest.

while it's true that attendance in LA was bad over the last few years, the same can be said in numerous other cities in which the team skipped town (houston, cleveland, st. louis, baltimore, etc). that's what happens when you have lousy owners who engage in acrimonious public battles with the city over getting a new stadium and in turn alienate the local fans by threatening to leave town. who wants support an owner who's about to stab you in the back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top