U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,990,627 times

Advertisements

now someone please remind me......why did the NFL put team in Jacksonville, Cleveland, Houston but not in LA ?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
you're not even old enough to remember when the rams and raiders left los angeles, so i'm not sure why you're so fixated on the supposed indifference of the nfl fans in the southland.

besides, a) you're wrong and b) stadium and ownership issues are what caused the teams to leave town, not fan support.

this has been explained to you numerous times on these forums.

please, just stop. you're a teenager with a limited amount of world experience and understanding of the los angeles-area sports culture. not to mention, your circle of friends, acquaintances, and online buddies hardly constitutes "most people in LA" or indicates that "nobody seems to care".

again, you keep beating a dead horse with your remarks. it's gotten tiresome to say the least.

can you at least wait until farmers field receives final approval (or not) later this year before continuing with these repetitive posts about the nfl in los angeles?
i was not stating this time that lack of fan support was the reason they left, because there is a differen between lack of fan support and not caring, what i don't like, pisses me off, is that ***** georgia frontiere, in her final years she was living in L.A., she died at UCLA Medical Center and was buried in L.A., bob irsay and art modell never returned to the states they moved their NFL franchises out of

Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,376,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
now someone please remind me......why did the NFL put team in Jacksonville, Cleveland, Houston but not in LA ?
There are reasons that other can state better than me, but when you boil it down to the sheer numbers it really does seem down right absurd. Some of those places have less than 10% of LA's population.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,228,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Jacksonville - was awarded the francise before both the Raiders and Rams left.

Cleveland - were PROMISED by the NFL to put another team in the city when the original Browns left for Baltimore. (I believe the courts got involved...?)

Houston - basically capitalized on L.A.'s screw ups in the early part of last decade. Those Texans are supposed to be L.A.'s team right now.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Jacksonville - was awarded the francise before both the Raiders and Rams left.

Cleveland - were PROMISED by the NFL to put another team in the city when the original Browns left for Baltimore. (I believe the courts got involved...?)

Houston - basically capitalized on L.A.'s screw ups in the early part of last decade. Those Texans are supposed to be L.A.'s team right now.
yeah, L.A. Politicians, City Hall, keep stubbornly insisting to the NFL that the Coliseum where USC plays, was the only viable site for an NFL franchise, that they use them eventhough the NFL vowed to never return there after the Raiders left, L.A. politicians just won't take the hint, there must be something behind L.A. Politics for being like that

Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,290,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
i was not stating this time that lack of fan support was the reason they left, because there is a differen between lack of fan support and not caring, what i don't like, pisses me off, is that ***** georgia frontiere, in her final years she was living in L.A., she died at UCLA Medical Center and was buried in L.A., bob irsay and art modell never returned to the states they moved their NFL franchises out of
plenty of fans in the LA area care about pro football and would really like to see an nfl team or two return to the area. your circle of friends, acquaintances, and internet buddies represent a tiny fraction of the total population of the southland, so you really can't make these sweeping generalizations based on what you see and hear from "everyone you know".

this is probably the 20th time this point has been explained to you. i'm really not sure why you keep beating this dead horse.

and seriously, who cares about where georgia frontiere was buried? there's no need to get so worked up over things that are ultimately meaningless.

besides, there are much more important things for the LA-area nfl fan to worry about - namely, whether farmers field receives final approval later this year. if that happens, a team should return to the city by the 2013 season, and a second team will probably arrive a few years after that.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
plenty of fans in the LA area care about pro football and would really like to see an nfl team or two return to the area. your circle of friends, acquaintances, and internet buddies represent a tiny fraction of the total population of the southland, so you really can't make these sweeping generalizations based on what you see and hear from "everyone you know".

this is probably the 20th time this point has been explained to you. i'm really not sure why you keep beating this dead horse.

and seriously, who cares about where georgia frontiere was buried? there's no need to get so worked up over things that are ultimately meaningless.

besides, there are much more important things for the LA-area nfl fan to worry about - namely, whether farmers field receives final approval later this year. if that happens, a team should return to the city by the 2013 season, and a second team will probably arrive a few years after that.
yes I believe you, i know that it is purely, stadium issues, politics that what has kept the NFL out of L.A. this long, and i do remember you told me, "politics, selfish self-interest, and ineptitude on the part of the coliseum commission and the city." I'm just wondering if there is a logical explanation, as to why specifically were the Coliseum Commission and L.A. Politics like that, why did they have selfish self-interest, and that ineptitude? did they just lack common sense? were they stupid?

Last edited by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople; 02-23-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: more words to add

Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I'm just wondering if there is a logical explanation, as to why specifically were the Coliseum Commission and L.A. Politics like that, why did they have selfish self-interest, and that ineptitude? did they just lack common sense? were they stupid?
all of the above.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,228,242 times
Quote:
all of the above.
And the city of Houston is currently thanking them for all of the above.

Seriously, I know it's because it just didn't happen, but it is a bit hard to imagine the NFL with a team in L.A. now.

You know, a lot has changed since the mid-90's, but NFL in Los Angeles is something you're just not used to seeing now, like:

- cookie-cutter/multi purpouse stadiums (only Oakland now shares their facility with a baseball team and that could change pretty soon)
- the Cowboys and 49ers winning NFC titles.
- JUST home and away uniforms with NO alternates or throwbacks
- full domed stadiums (just Detroit and Minnesota now... could be down to just Detroit in a few years)
- creative Super Bowl logos
- more fun and less penalties for hard hits.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And the city of Houston is currently thanking them for all of the above.

Seriously, I know it's because it just didn't happen, but it is a bit hard to imagine the NFL with a team in L.A. now.

You know, a lot has changed since the mid-90's, but NFL in Los Angeles is something you're just not used to seeing now, like:

- cookie-cutter/multi purpouse stadiums (only Oakland now shares their facility with a baseball team and that could change pretty soon)
- the Cowboys and 49ers winning NFC titles.
- JUST home and away uniforms with NO alternates or throwbacks
- full domed stadiums (just Detroit and Minnesota now... could be down to just Detroit in a few years)
- creative Super Bowl logos
- more fun and less penalties for hard hits.
i must be getting old, because to me all of those things (especially the nfl having teams in los angeles and the cowboys and 49ers being dominant) don't seem all that far off in the past.

good for houston, though. it's always been a solid pro football market and the fans there really got screwed when the oilers left town. too bad the nfl didn't prevent bud adams from taking the oilers' name, logo, history, and colors with him (cleveland browns-style) when he moved the franchise to tennessee - especially since he then "retired" the oilers name - but that's entirely off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football