U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Reputation: 7005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
OK, I think you can take Vikings off the list, news today sounded like they are getting a deal done for a new stadium in MPLS.
Already said that.

 
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Reputation: 33532
far from a done deal, and I heard one of the long-time, pro-stadium legislators (John Kriesel) describe that the stadium bill is currently "at our own 20 with 80 yards to go."

Still a little matter of getting approval from the Mpls city council and, the Legislature where a bill has yet to even be introduced.

The council is currently split 7 to 6 against the funding and the city charter requires their approval on any funding for a sports facility over $10M. The current proposal calls for the city to finance $150M of the $975M, and the 7 council members have insisted, that their approval hinges on a voter referendum, which aside from the delay, has virtually no chance of passing.

The "catch" is that the funding mechanism that the mayor has agreed to is the 10% entertainment tax currently being used to fund the convention center's recent improvement and the hard-line stadium proponents have maintained that this is an existing tax that is not subject to the requirements of the new charter. Ironically enough, this 10% tax (downtown food & beverage, hotels, etc) was established back in the early 80's to fund the Metrodome, which was long ago paid off. Instead of shelving the tax, they reapplied it to the convention center.

Everyone wants to play nice and not resort to b**** slapping these 7 council members so it remains to be seen how acrimonious that still becomes.

And then, there's the little matter of getting the bill through the state house and senate before the current session expires in May. There has been some talk that they would actually be recessing sometime in April, no doubt to get back to their districts and start running for re-election.

so, while we finally have an agreement between the City, State and Vikings and they can put the agreement to a vote, it's far from a sure thing at this point.

It has been fascinating to watch on the heels of the Twins stadium being built and all sides have compromised...

  • Zygi doesn't get his tailgating revenue (propbaly around $6 - $7 Mil/yr) and their (very) earlier stated contribution has grown from around $260M to about $490M.
  • The State's contribution went up to $400M from their previous max of $300M
  • Minneapolis doesn't get the Timberwolves arena remodeled as part of the package.

Last edited by Ghengis; 03-01-2012 at 11:02 PM..
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,049,981 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
far from a done deal, and I heard one of the long-time, pro-stadium legislators (John Kriesel) describe that the stadium bill is currently "at our own 20 with 80 yards to go."

Still a little matter of getting approval from the Mpls city council and, the Legislature where a bill has yet to even be introduced.

The council is currently split 7 to 6 against the funding and the city charter requires their approval on any funding for a sports facility over $10M. The current proposal calls for the city to finance $150M of the $975M, and the 7 council members have insisted, that their approval hinges on a voter referendum, which aside from the delay, has virtually no chance of passing.

The "catch" is that the funding mechanism that the mayor has agreed to is the 10% entertainment tax currently being used to fund the convention center's recent improvement and the hard-line stadium proponents have maintained that this is an existing tax that is not subject to the requirements of the new charter. Ironically enough, this 10% tax (downtown food & beverage, hotels, etc) was established back in the early 80's to fund the Metrodome, which was long ago paid off. Instead of shelving the tax, they reapplied it to the convention center.

Everyone wants to play nice and not resort to b**** slapping these 7 council members so it remains to be seen how acrimonious that still becomes.

And then, there's the little matter of getting the bill through the state house and senate before the current session expires in May. There has been some talk that they would actually be recessing sometime in April, no doubt to get back to their districts and start running for re-election.

so, while we finally have an agreement between the City, State and Vikings and they can put the agreement to a vote, it's far from a sure thing at this point.

It has been fascinating to watch on the heels of the Twins stadium being built and all sides have compromised...

  • Zygi doesn't get his tailgating revenue (propbaly around $6 - $7 Mil/yr) and their (very) earlier stated contribution has grown from around $260M to about $490M.
  • The State's contribution went up to $400M from their previous max of $300M
  • Minneapolis doesn't get the Timberwolves arena remodeled as part of the package.
they are more likely to get the stadium deal done there than in L.A., lol
 
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Reputation: 33532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
they are more likely to get the stadium deal done there than in L.A., lol
HA! no way are we building you a Vikings Stadium in LA, that'd be pretty stoopid and after we told the taxpayers they'd be really pissed-off too.
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,049,981 times
Reputation: 458
also, the proposed new NFL stadiums in L.A. will not break ground until a team committs to move to L.A., but the NFL want's L.A. to have the stadium built first
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Location: The big blue yonder...
1,998 posts, read 3,035,394 times
Reputation: 1013
I chose Jaguars because I think that will happen, BUT I think the Raiders SHOULD go.

I know some people will argue that the Raiders just belong in Oakland, but I (and a LOT of LA) feel they just belong in Los Angeles. Raiders just fits the personality of Los Angeles better than anywhere else. BRING THE RAIDERS HOME WHERE THEY BELONG!!!
 
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,049,981 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I chose Jaguars because I think that will happen, BUT I think the Raiders SHOULD go.

I know some people will argue that the Raiders just belong in Oakland, but I (and a LOT of LA) feel they just belong in Los Angeles. Raiders just fits the personality of Los Angeles better than anywhere else. BRING THE RAIDERS HOME WHERE THEY BELONG!!!
yeah, they definetley fit in with L.A.'s Gang Culture, but it's better tot have a team where it would be safe to bring our family, friends, and kids to
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,049,981 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I chose Jaguars because I think that will happen, BUT I think the Raiders SHOULD go.

I know some people will argue that the Raiders just belong in Oakland, but I (and a LOT of LA) feel they just belong in Los Angeles. Raiders just fits the personality of Los Angeles better than anywhere else. BRING THE RAIDERS HOME WHERE THEY BELONG!!!
the Raiders were in L.A. for 13 years, they have been in Oakland for almost 40 years, keep them in Oakland
 
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
JJG JJG started this thread
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I chose Jaguars because I think that will happen...
Don't hold your breath....
 
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Santa Ana
1,198 posts, read 2,049,981 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Don't hold your breath....
agreed, the NFL has been teasing, leading on L.A. for almost 2 decades now, i'm not surprised if they are still doing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top