U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM

21,369 posts, read 21,941,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Significant but not an "official" vote as the house and senate still have to approve a single bill (currently two slightly different versions working their way through the various commitees) and the gov to sign it before the council has something to really approve.

Senate may vote on their version as early as today the House is expected to vote on their version by Friday (the session is scheduled to end on Monday). Once the gov signs the final version, that will give the city council something to approve.

While even the critics have begun to accept the ineviatbility of the deal getting done, each commitee continues to (or try to) add amendments satisfying their own agendas such as Mpls' Target Center renovation, St Paul Convention Center loan forgiveness, St Paul Saints Stadium, charitable gambling tax relief, etc). Wouldn't surprise me if this thing falls short because of all the last minute maneuvering going on.

INFORUM | Fargo, ND

Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,249 posts, read 19,206,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Significant but not an "official" vote as the house and senate still have to approve a single bill (currently two slightly different versions working their way through the various commitees) and the gov to sign it before the council has something to really approve.

Senate may vote on their version as early as today the House is expected to vote on their version by Friday (the session is scheduled to end on Monday). Once the gov signs the final version, that will give the city council something to approve.

While even the critics have begun to accept the ineviatbility of the deal getting done, each commitee continues to (or try to) add amendments satisfying their own agendas such as Mpls' Target Center renovation, St Paul Convention Center loan forgiveness, St Paul Saints Stadium, charitable gambling tax relief, etc). Wouldn't surprise me if this thing falls short because of all the last minute maneuvering going on.

INFORUM | Fargo, ND
I heard about the Target Center renovation. Two things came to mind:

1. I didn't think it was old enough or bad enough for a renovation and
2. I didn't think it would have anything to do with the new Vikings stadium.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I heard about the Target Center renovation. Two things came to mind:

1. I didn't think it was old enough or bad enough for a renovation and
2. I didn't think it would have anything to do with the new Vikings stadium.
current NBA arenas older than Target Center (1990)...

Knicks (1968) - in the midst of an $850M remodel
Detroit (1988)
Milwaukee - (1988)
Sacramento (1989) - recent agreement with Maloof and the city seems to have hit a snag and is being (re)negotiated.

The bill uses a 3% DT Mpls hospitality tax originally established to build the Metrodome (long since paid for) as the funding source for the ciy's $150M share of the Vikings Stadium.

The city currently uses that money to support a construction loan for it's Convention Center which will be paid off in 2020. In order to secure the Minneapolis Council votes needed, the bill allows some of that money to finance the city-owned Target Center ($155M) remodel.

St Paul didn't like that as they felt that the Target Center would have an unfair advantage over it's own (Minnesota wild) arena in operating costs and thus be able to be more aggressive in booking future events. The bill supporters realize that they also need to placate the St Paul state legislators so are obligated to help them out as well.

St Paul is also seeking a $27 Million downtown stadium for their very popoular Northern (Independent) League baseball team but I'm not sure if they will get that also included in the bill.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,903,179 times
Devil is in the details but the Minnesotans better get their **** together or its LA Vikes.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,093,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Devil is in the details but the Minnesotans better get their **** together or its LA Vikes.

I hope they figure it out. As a fan who lost his team and was fortunate enough to get it back 3 years later in the form of an expansion team (in which they're still struggling) Minnesota may not be as fortunate. With 32 teams, I doubt the NFL is willing to further expand.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I hope they figure it out. As a fan who lost his team and was fortunate enough to get it back 3 years later in the form of an expansion team (in which they're still struggling) Minnesota may not be as fortunate. With 32 teams, I doubt the NFL is willing to further expand.
If there is another expansion team, I don't think we'll see it for the next 2 decades...

Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 AM

927 posts, read 1,210,631 times
The league wants the enormous expansion fee they will collect from awarding a club to Los Angeles down the road. So it is unlikely the Vikings will move there. Another city perhaps. Like San Antonio.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
The league wants the enormous expansion fee they will collect from awarding a club to Los Angeles down the road. So it is unlikely the Vikings will move there. Another city perhaps. Like San Antonio.
that would be pretty stupid of whoever owned the Vikings to bypass LA for San Antonio don't you think?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM

927 posts, read 1,210,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that would be pretty stupid of whoever owned the Vikings to bypass LA for San Antonio don't you think?
No it would not be stupid. What would be stupid would be placing the Vikings or any other losing franchise into a place where they would be doomed to fail. And that is Los Angeles. Los Angeles is notorious for being the home to many fairweather fans. Moreover the fans there tend to follow what is hot and trendy at the time etc. And a team that is not a superbowl contender would not be considered hot and trendy. Let's face it. Los Angeles is a terrible pro football town. And after squandering away two franchises does not deserve to have yet another chance to fail.

It's time for a new, more loyal and stable fanbase for the league. And that fanbase should be centered around San Antonio to include the Austin area as well. Texas is football country and a third NFL franchise in the state would fit perfectly in the mix.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Ok, I know how you feel about a team in San Antonio over L.A. I've seen your posts several times on this.

But, this is about a team going to L.A.

Respectfully, can ya NOT mention anything about NFL in San Antonio, just for THIS thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football