U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I can't see that happening...the Vikes have a great fanbase in MN. There would be a revolt in the Twin Cities if the Vikings ever moved. I think its between the Chargers, Raiders, Rams, and Jags. 3 of those 4 played in LA at one time.
Unfortunately you're incorrect. If it was about fan support and having a great fanbase I would say yes, the Vikings will remain in Minnesota forever. But it's not. Today's NFL is about money, plain and simple. And how much can an owner make in the respective cities.

Wilf wants the Vikings to play in a newer more profitable stadium. And if he can't that built in Minnesota he'll take the team elsewhere. It's cruel and wrong but not unprecedented. Houston, Cleveland and St Louis all lost teams because of a lack of a suitably profitable venue.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,183,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The NFL wants a team in L.A..... According to the media, there are 7 teams that are most likely to move there.

- Bills
The simple reason why: Buffalo's hard hit economy/sunken population and the NFL's want for non-American teams.
Possibility (IMO): To L.A., none. To Toronto... it's inevitable.

- Chargers
The simple reason why: Old Stadium
Possibility (IMO): If San Diego can't get something goin', move back....

- 49ers
The simple reason why: Old Stadium.... but I don't see the 49ers EVER moving anywhere. Besides, they have a stadium planed.
Possibility (IMO): Not a damn chance.

- Jaguars
The simple reason why: Low attendance/blackouts
Possibility (IMO): I doubt it. Personally, I think the media wants the Jaguars in L.A. before L.A. does.

- Raiders
The simple reason why: Old Stadium (Cali has three of the most outdated stadiums in the Leauge right now)
Possibility (IMO): I actually think this SHOULD happen as soon as possible. Plus, ya just don't know what Al Davis would do...

- Rams
The simple reason why: Apparently the stadium is outdated and the lease will end in 4 years.
Possibility (IMO): Why? St. Louis is nothing but loyal to this team. And there's not much wrong with the stadium.... it's not even 20 years old yet.

- Vikings
The simple reason why: Stadium lease (this year)
Possibility (IMO): With the expired lease AND this video below, I think the possibility of Minnesota losing ANOTHER team to L.A. is increasing day by day.... unless they actually get a new stadium.

Metrodome Roof Collapse Video From the Inside Metrodome - YouTube

And here are the stadium proposals, the first three in downtown and the last in City of Industry.

I agree that the Bills will most likely end up in Toronto and Oakland in LA.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,862,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I agree that the Bills will most likely end up in Toronto and Oakland in LA.
I sure hope not. The Bills have a rabid fanbase in Buffalo....seems like a Green Bay type of atmosphere. Plus, I don't know what the obsession is with moving into Canada. Baseball hasn't had great success there....the Expos are now the Nationals, and the Jays draw pitiful crowds. Forcing American sports into Canada has about the same success rate as moving hockey teams into places like Atlanta and Phoenix.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,862,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Houston, Cleveland and St Louis all lost teams because of a lack of a suitably profitable venue.
Houston and Cleveland, yes, but not the Cardinals...when they moved to Arizona, they played in that awful Sun Devil Stadium, a college stadium with bleachers up until a few years ago...that move couldn't have been about the stadium.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 AM

292 posts, read 591,556 times
The Raiders or Jaguars make the most sense. My preference would be the Raiders. The Los Angeles Raiders just sounds cool. Plus, Oakland is a joke. The Raiders have history in LA and a solid fan base already established there. With a new stadium in Downtown LA next to the Staples Center, the Raiders or any team would really thrive there. The Jaguars make sense because Jacksonville is such a small market, they don't seem to have a solid fan base, and they are a newer team without much history. So I would say Raiders or Jaguars. Hopefully Raiders but I got a feeling it will be Jacksonville. Then again who knows?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I sure hope not. The Bills have a rabid fanbase in Buffalo....seems like a Green Bay type of atmosphere. Plus, I don't know what the obsession is with moving into Canada. Baseball hasn't had great success there....the Expos are now the Nationals, and the Jays draw pitiful crowds. Forcing American sports into Canada has about the same success rate as moving hockey teams into places like Atlanta and Phoenix.
I lived in Rochester for a little over a year and got to see first hand the die-hard fans of Buffalo. The problem is that the area is deteriorating and has been for quite some time. Toronto is right there and is a great sports city. Green Bay is nothing like Buffalo. Green Bay has a much stronger fan base. Also you can't compare a demand for baseball to football. Montreal is a great hockey city but everyone knew it wasn't a great baseball city; but if you want to go by that...the Blue Jays have been doing well for years and there is no threat of them leaving. Toronto would be a good move and it is close enough for Buffalo fans to commute to.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM

9,072 posts, read 15,035,708 times
The Buffalo/Rochester area is capable of supporting the team. The biggest problem with the team remaining is that when the current owner passes on, the team will be sold to the highest bidder to pay capital gains taxes. Owner groups from very large markets (Toronto, LA, etc) are far more capable of overpaying for the team because the money can be made back a lot quicker. Overpaying in a bidding war for the franchise and keeping it in Buffalo will make it very difficult to keep the franchise viable for any local prospective owner groups.

I say the Jags to go LA. I doubt the league wants to leave Minneapolis or San Diego. They are just using it as leverage to put pressure on a new stadium deal. I would not move Oakland back again, they abandoned the LA market. Their loss.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Still sticking to my post. I'd say the Jags were 3rd or 4th on the list...

Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 AM

292 posts, read 591,556 times
I wonder what will happen when Al Davis dies.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I wonder what will happen when Al Davis dies.
The direction of the Raiders will change and they might be a contender again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football