U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these teams are most likely to move to L.A.?
Bills 0 0%
Chargers 22 22.45%
49ers 2 2.04%
Jaguars 30 30.61%
Raiders 18 18.37%
Rams 6 6.12%
Vikings 20 20.41%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 AM

21,549 posts, read 22,133,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I wonder what will happen when Al Davis dies.
From what I've seen in the movies, he drops to the ground, the body kinda shrivels up, the clothes go limp and smoke rises from the whole sticking pile of bones. Then ghoulish specters fly in and take his soul to the underworld while he wails out in despair.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:26 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,918,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

I doubt the league wants to leave Minneapolis or San Diego. They are just using it as leverage to put pressure on a new stadium deal.
I agree....even the Eagles owner had threated to move the team to LA when he was pushing for funding for a new stadium....and the Eagles would never leave Philly. Personally, I think no taxpayer money should be funding stadiums....these team can afford their own stadiums, its time for cities/states to give the middle finger to greedy owners expecting broke taxpayers to build their billion-dollar playgrounds.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,777,844 times
I agree but much like we see with the Texas State Legisature suddenly going all BIG GUV'MENT with football matters, we americans can be pretty stupid with football matters. No different than any other culture and their beloved sport I am afraid.

Anyways, based on my lack of info and purely on educated guesses, Raiders seem like the most logical move. I don't know exactly how bad they will be missed in the East Bay, but the vibe I get from some people is that it's really all about those kids in Candlestick (likewise the G's vs. the A's) in the Bay Area.

What's more Raider gear still seems to be in vogue down in L.A. not to mention their history of winning a Superbowl there. Just makes brain dead general football sense to me.

Now if they could only change that god awful color scheme.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM

16,553 posts, read 21,090,583 times
Waltlantz makes a good point.

At halftime of the Bronco/Cowboy game Thursday night I switched over to the NFL Channel as they were showing similar reports to stadiums around the league (as there were 5 games that night.) There was a quick report on the Cardinal/Raider game and the first thing the commentators at the studios remarked on was the lack of attendance. They were guessing around 15,000 or so at the game. Now granted it's the first preseason game. Still, you should pull in more people than that regardless whether the games count or not.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,253 posts, read 19,288,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Now if they could only change that god awful color scheme.
... huh? You're not talking about the Black n' Silver are ya? I hate the Raiders, but they have one of the all time BEST color combos in all of sports. It just fits the image...

Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,058,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The direction of the Raiders will change and they might be a contender again.
they will very likely become relevant again

Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,253 posts, read 19,288,828 times
Default Update

Here's an article from a St. Louis site:

Charlie Casserly On The ITD Morning After: L.A. Looking At The Rams > insideSTL.com > McKernan

The team you guys have at the top of the vote isn't even in consideration... just like I said.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,391,924 times
I have a feeling that it's going to be the Chargers.

The Raiders are probably going to split a stadium with the 49ers, to every Bay Area football fans' chagrin.

And the Raiders have way more history in the Bay Area (like it or not) than they do in LA. They have ONE superbowl win here, while having 2 up in Oakland, 3/4 SB apperances as the Oakland Raiders, 15/21 playoff appearances in Oakland, etc.

Sure, they lost a LOT of fans in the East Bay by moving down to LA, but the new generation of football fans are starting to warm up to them again, given the general revival of football interest in the Bay Area from having new head coaches and winning records.

The hugest Raider fans here are generally middle aged, but they by far don't make up the majority of fans here. No one team does (at least in NFL)

Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM

904 posts, read 1,642,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Here's an article from a St. Louis site:

Charlie Casserly On The ITD Morning After: L.A. Looking At The Rams > insideSTL.com > McKernan

The team you guys have at the top of the vote isn't even in consideration... just like I said.
So LA wants two teams, even though one has never worked in Los Angeles? I wish people would get over the idea of Los Angeles having a team. We get it, its the center of Hollywood entertainment and is a city people love to flock to. But, if a team hasn't worked there before more than once, why do so many think they need to yank a franchise from a city to bring them to LA? And now LA wants TWO teams? Haha! I wish people and LA would get over themselves. The city is home to many things, but that doesn't mean it MUST HAVE an NFL franchise. The NFL is the most popular sport in the US and continues to grow, and they've done it all without a team being based in LA.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM

16,138 posts, read 20,926,968 times
Chargers as long as they get rid of the ownership that funnels the profits to the far right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football