Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM

180 posts, read 526,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Black and gold are the colors of the City of Pittsburgh.
I didn't realize cities had colors. When did Pitsburgh adopt their colors? Is there a certain meaning behind them?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
The seal and flag photos are on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh

The story of the seal....
http://www.phlf.org/dragons/teachers...al_project.pdf

Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Outside of Pittsburgh I'd say it's mostly bandwagon fans. They've popped up in recent years. Just like the Patriots, Colts and Saints "fans".

People will try to say it's because of Steeler fans moving about the country but that's a load of crap. Fans in every NFL city move around the country but don't spawn legions of fans elsewhere. If/when the Steelers take a dip in form again many of the fans will disappear.

Not true at all. You need to go on youtube and type in steeler nation and watch the piece espn did on it. Some people did catch on to the Steelers in the 70's as "bandwagon fans" but have remaind fans ever since and passed it down from generation to generation. The bulk of Steelers fans stem from Pittsburgh when Pittsburgh had a larger population and the Steel industry was booming. When the Steel industry fell almost half of Pittsburgh's population spread out all over the country and their families continued to grow and it was passed down and down and down and spread to other families. The Steelers have been selling out stadiums across the country from the 70's thorugh the 80's, 90's and 2000's even before the recent success. Although there are a good bit of fans from Pittsburgh that travel, most steeler fans that are at ALL of the road games swinging their terrible towels live in those cities. Every major city, and a lot of minor ones as well, in America has at least one Steeler bar in it. If anybody doesn't believe me look it up.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
How come people question Steelers fans for being fans of the team because they win, but no one questions the Yankees?????????? People believe Yankee fans are loyal, but maybe it is just because they have 27 world series wins.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
How come people question Steelers fans for being fans of the team because they win, but no one questions the Yankees?????????? People believe Yankee fans are loyal, but maybe it is just because they have 27 world series wins.
Good question! I have come to the conclusion there will be haters of the Steelers, their success and their fans no matter how much we try to explain ourselves. NO explanation is needed!!! We are fans because we love our boys in black & GOLD!! PERIOD!!

mod edit>Two sentences have been removed as previous comments were removed by another poster.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-25-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
ummm... because they like FOOTBALL and not hockey or baseball!
No....the Pirates used to get a lot of fan support when they were winning about 20 years ago....and they've started supporting the Penguins since they've been good again.

But I find it kind of funny that where I live, 5 to 6 hours from Pittsburgh, there are tons of Steeler fans, but hardly any Pirate fans (seems most people are Yankees or Phillies fans here)....I'm only 2 hours from New York City, and there are more Steeler fans here than Jets or Giants fans.....I'd say a lot of that is due to the bandwagon....people who jumped on in the 70s, and the younger crowd that jumped on in the last decade.

The Penguins have a following here, but its only been since we got their AHL minor league affiliate about 10 years ago.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcollectingdust View Post
I believe I have read and it sure seems true, that Ben has asked God for forgiveness for his sins.
I think for you to state that he's a possible rapist is so, so sad. I honestly believe that there is so much hate for the steelers success....and Philly having very little success in football.
It would be like me saying something about Vick, when only God knows his heart. I for one am not a Philly fan and yes, I am a Steeler fan. I also pray that Vick is successful in the future with Philly, should he decide to stay there. Everyone needs forgiveness, Everyone.
God Bless you Vick and Ben!
I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, but I'm no Vick supporter. I'm just hoping that the Eagles do not resign Vick so I can get back to enjoying football season. I think both Vick and Ben are no role models for our kids. Yeah I know Ben hasn't been convicted.mod edit> off topic -not related to the title of this thread.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-25-2011 at 07:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Black and gold are the colors of the City of Pittsburgh.
Then why are the Steelers black and yellow?

Yellow:

Gold:
http://mikecasella.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/collegiate-authentic-football-helmet-by-riddell-notre-dame4462903w.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post

I don't like other sports! I only like football. I do like when the Penguins or Pirates do well, but I don't follow them. I'm not a hockey or a baseball fan, nor a basketball fan. I guess you could call me a bandwagon Penguins fan! When they do well, I cheer for them.

My nephew took me to a Penguin game this past year. He is a season ticket holder. I liked the game and it was great sitting in the arena watching them play great hockey but he hasn't converted me to a hockey fan. Interesting enough--I converted him to a Steeler fan! He used to always cheer for Tampa Bay. I took him to a bar when we won the 1st Super Bowl with Ben, Bettis and company. The next morning he said "At some point last night, I think I became a Steeler fan" and he has been one ever since. Does that make him a bandwagon fan--maybe by some thoughts--but he spends more money on those Steelers than I ever dreamed of spending and I've been fan since I was a young girl!
Fair enough.

(But yes, that makes him a bandwagon fan. But whatever floats his boat. It's a free country)

Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
I just have to say, I do respect the Steelers as an organization...but this Giants fan is pulling for Green Bay in the Superbowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football