U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,041,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC is bigger than Indy, Nashville, Charlotte and now Cleveland I think. Is that list by population?
DMA includes the market area, not just the city population.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

22,402 posts, read 36,400,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
People ask why the NFC East is so talked about in the media even if one team is good and the other three are bad. This is probably the reason.

NFC East

1. New York Giants
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Dallas Cowboys
9. Washington Redskins

all in the top 10. Pretty amazing.

The AFC East East is close but agree the sheer media market size of this sonferance is pretty amazing, something like 40 million US residents reside in the these 4 markets, like one-in-eight US residents

the NL East in Baseball is also especially strong on this metric with NYC/Philly/DC/Atlanta/Miami

The AL East is also large with NYC/Toronto/Boston/Baltimore/Tampa

but gotta love the NFC East

Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,195,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
DMA includes the market area, not just the city population.
I would like to see a breakout of the DMA's. MAny teams enjoy a regional fan base which include areas outside the defined broadcast/marketing DMA's. i.e. - Is Tenton NJ Giants, Jets or Eagles? Does Boise ID go Seahawks or Broncos or none? Is Southern Connecticut the Pats or the Jets?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM

13,848 posts, read 21,019,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I would like to see a breakout of the DMA's. MAny teams enjoy a regional fan base which include areas outside the defined broadcast/marketing DMA's. i.e. - Is Tenton NJ Giants, Jets or Eagles? Does Boise ID go Seahawks or Broncos or none? Is Southern Connecticut the Pats or the Jets?
I limited the list to the "primary" DMAs -- the DMAs that the teams are geographically located in. If I included other DMAs, then I'd be bound to make mistakes because of what I call "Harrisburg Syndrome." Harrisburg, PA has recently been designated as a secondary TV market for the Baltimore Ravens, even though the Pittsburgh Steelers have routinely posted higher ratings there. I'm sure there'd be other such TV markets where the NFL has intervened in spite of the ratings.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
This one? CommonCensus Sports Map Project

Handy map actually.

This has a sort of regional alignment in the link above

Below is a population of DMA primary TV markets - this shows the reach of the primary TV market, so the population reached by the content of the main TV market. This has no county affiliation more of proximity based population metric and regional identity

Survey of Buying Power - Media Markets Ranking Report - DMA Current Year Estimate -Total Population - 2009

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 PM

927 posts, read 1,316,640 times
One thing I have drawn from these DMA statistics is that if you combine the San Antonio-Austin area into one, which will eventually happen, you end up with the 17th largest DMA in the list that is posted above and a prime NFL/MLB market. This isn't the only place where this combining of metro areas occurs. Washington-Baltimore, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Francisco-Oakland and the Minneapolis-St. Paul area are all regions that are a result of combining huge areas.

San Antonio-Austin, which has no NFL or MLB teams currently, is the next great DMA to form and with this formation will come the pro franchises. If the NFL/MLB are businesses that are out to maximize profits then continuing to ignore this booming region would definitely not be a wise business move. Especially in the long term.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
One thing I have drawn from these DMA statistics is that if you combine the San Antonio-Austin area into one, which will eventually happen, you end up with the 17th largest DMA in the list that is posted above and a prime NFL/MLB market. This isn't the only place where this combining of metro areas occurs. Washington-Baltimore, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Francisco-Oakland and the Minneapolis-St. Paul area are all regions that are a result of combining huge areas.

San Antonio-Austin, which has no NFL or MLB teams currently, is the next great DMA to form and with this formation will come the pro franchises. If the NFL/MLB are businesses that are out to maximize profits then continuing to ignore this booming region would definitely not be a wise business move. Especially in the long term.

SA and Austin are to far distance wise to ever be one DMA, DMA is a proximity metric. They may be one CSA sometime but will never be a DMA - 40 or 50 miles from the center of city is the distance for DMA I believe that these over 100 miles apart

DC and Baltimore are separate DMAs for the same reason

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
SA and Austin are to far distance wise to ever be one DMA, DMA is a proximity metric. They may be one CSA sometime but will never be a DMA - 40 or 50 miles from the center of city is the distance for DMA I believe that these over 100 miles apart

DC and Baltimore are separate DMAs for the same reason
That may be true. But for the purposes of an NFL or MLB team the two may as well be one. Austin is actually 75 miles from San Antonio and closer if you start at the northeastern suburbs of SA and end at the southwestern suburbs of Austin. My point is that the NFL for instance draws a 75 mile circle around the physical location of a team. This area is known as the local market area of a club.

Austin falls right into that circle and would be included in a San Antonio based team's local area. And, more importantly, Austin would be included in the television market area for a San Antonio based team. So for all intents and purposes as far as the NFL is concerned the cities would in fact encompass one market area. Whether or not the US Census Bureau counted the two cities as one area would be unimportant.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,614,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
That may be true. But for the purposes of an NFL or MLB team the two may as well be one. Austin is actually 75 miles from San Antonio and closer if you start at the northeastern suburbs of SA and end at the southwestern suburbs of Austin. My point is that the NFL for instance draws a 75 mile circle around the physical location of a team. This area is known as the local market area of a club.

Austin falls right into that circle and would be included in a San Antonio based team's local area. And, more importantly, Austin would be included in the television market area for a San Antonio based team. So for all intents and purposes as far as the NFL is concerned the cities would in fact encompass one market area. Whether or not the US Census Bureau counted the two cities as one area would be unimportant.
Yeah, the NFL would definitely be a hit in SA. The season ticket base could draw from possibly up to seven different MSA's in the state without causing much uproar from the Cowboys or Texans.

Baseball might be trickier since the park would most likely need to be on I-35 NE of the city, because of the frequency of home games and the 44,000-seat capacity for an average stadium.

I think that the Spurs and the county messed up when they didn't insist on a downtown location. I guess they went after the path of least resistance.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Yeah, the NFL would definitely be a hit in SA. The season ticket base could draw from possibly up to seven different MSA's in the state without causing much uproar from the Cowboys or Texans.

Baseball might be trickier since the park would most likely need to be on I-35 NE of the city, because of the frequency of home games and the 44,000-seat capacity for an average stadium.

I think that the Spurs and the county messed up when they didn't insist on a downtown location. I guess they went after the path of least resistance.
Television revenue will be the deciding factor as to where this area will be getting MLB. Because attendance certainly won't be a problem. When many clubs play games in front of stadiums that are frequently near empty, owners know that they will make their money from TV revenue. Just like the NFL. And I agree. A new baseball stadium should be out on 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football