Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

After an unbelievable cold weather event in North Texas keeping temps at 20 or lower since Tuesday, a second unexpected heavy snow event has turned Friday into the worst day of the week yet. A large portion of Superbowl events have been cancelled. The ones that are still open are not going to see even half the crowds that were expected. Restaraunts are empty, airport is a mess, some people may not even make it to the game depending on where they are flying from.

This is really disappointing after all the excitement and waiting for the big week. Now the news in town is all about bad roads and weather, not the Superbowl events.

Sun is supposed to come out tomorrow and temps reach the 40's, but with as much ice and snow as there is on the ground, a lot of the side streets will remain treacherous until Sunday when it reaches 50.

Not to sound pessimistic, but I doubt the Superbowl will come back after this catastrophe. I realize it was a rare event, but it exposed how poorly North Texas was equipped to deal with a worse case scenario, even though planners had been saying all along they were prepared for bad weather until it actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Because it is inevitable someone will bring it up, yes, it is probably going to snow during Super Bowl week in Indianapolis next year. Yes, Indianapolis has prepared for that in its bid.

Back on topic, to Texas...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
And NJ has the Superbowl in 2014 I believe...no dome there.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM

371 posts, read 597,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Yes - I wonder how that's going to be like!
But I have wanted to see a Super Bowl in the snow. The only Super Bowl that was effected by the elements was Super Bowl XLI in Miami with the Bears and the Colts, and that was just rain. (which Indy couldn't play in, missing 1 [or 2?] extra points)

Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin96 View Post
Yes - I wonder how that's going to be like!
But I have wanted to see a Super Bowl in the snow. The only Super Bowl that was effected by the elements was Super Bowl XLI in Miami with the Bears and the Colts, and that was just rain. (which Indy couldn't play in, missing 1 [or 2?] extra points)
The Colts missed one extra point on a bobbled snap. Vinatieri was 2 for 2 on the extra points he was able to kick, and 3 of 4 on field goal attempts. Not sure how that implies the Colts could not play in the weather, they did win the game.....

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Interesting point on this and not just limited to NJ. We know this year the NFL postponed a game in Philly because of snow. The reasons stated was fan safety. Anyone think they would do this for the superbowl? I'm guessing dollars would win out over fan safety in that event.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
After the Packers qualified, I gave a lot of thought to heading down there for the weekend. I wasnt going to go to the game but just to enjoy the atmosphere and watch the game close to the stadium. But, I am glad I didnt now.

But, who cares about all the extra events. It is a football game and it has become too commercialized.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
God hates Jerry Jones.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

466 posts, read 815,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
But, who cares about all the extra events. It is a football game and it has become too commercialized.
Exactly. I did mention to DH this morning that the coverage on ESPN was a 180-degree turn from last year in Miami. Last year they had all these outside shots and craziness and now everyone is hunkered down in makeshift studios.

That said, none of that will affect ratings one bit.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
This has just been nuts! What are the odds of this bad weather in N. Texas happening this one particular week? How often do you guys get this much snow/bad weather this time of the year? I always thought of N. Texas having mild winters! It's like the Jerry Jones curse or something... Odd, very odd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football