U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM

3,772 posts, read 9,553,915 times

Advertisements

The Miami Dolphins had a perfect season (17-0) in 1972, the only team in N.F.L. history since the Super Bowl began to accomplish this feat. The Chicago Bears came close in 1985 with an 18-1 record the only loss being to the Miami Dolphins.

Will there ever be another team to reach this plateau of an undefeated season? What factors and variables go in to having a perfect season ? Does the extra two games added make it more difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,755,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The Chicago Bears came close in 1985 with an 18-1 record the only loss being to the Miami Dolphins.
Also 1984 SF 49ers went 18-1 beating Miami in Superbowl XIX 38-16 losing only to the Pittsburg Steelers 20-17 in week 7.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 PM

3,337 posts, read 12,657,606 times
Quote:
The Miami Dolphins had a perfect season (17-0) in 1972, the only team in N.F.L. history since the Super Bowl began to accomplish this feat. The Chicago Bears came close in 1985 with an 18-1 record the only loss being to the Miami Dolphins.

Will there ever be another team to reach this plateau of an undefeated season? What factors and variables go in to having a perfect season ? Does the extra two games added make it more difficult?
While I don't discredit the fact that they went undefeated that season they did have a soft schedule. Of their regular season schedule only two teams had a winning record in 72 (Kansas City 8-6 and NY Giants 8-6) two other teams were five hundred (NY Jets and The Vikings) all the rest were sub 500 teams. I know even the best teams usually have one trap game in a season, but the fact is the Dolphins got lucky. All the playoff games were tight as well, they won their three playoff games by a total of 17 points. Can this feat be duplicated? I don't think so. The extra 2 games make it a tougher season. Also you can see when playoff teams have a spot sewn up for the playoffs late in the season they will most likely rest their starters which can lead to a meaningless loss. As for the 85 Bears, I personally believe they played a much tougher schedule than the 72 Dolphins. 1985 was a 16 game season and oddly enough it was the Dolphins that handed the Bears their only loss.

Last edited by exhdo1; 07-24-2007 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM

792 posts, read 2,904,780 times
Remember however a couple of things with the Dolphins that year in the playoffs....1. They had to win the game vs Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh when that great Steeler team was beginning to emerge on the scene. There was some strange rotation of divisions in determining homefield, as almost inexplicably, best record had no factor. 2. None of the three playoff wins were heart-wrenching finishes. The Super Bowl vs the Redskins: hsitory shows a 14-7 final, but the game in reality wasn't really competitive- the only drama that existed late was due to the infamous Yepremmian (fg kicker) botched throw.
I won't agree the Dolphins were lucky that year. I will agree they weren't the greatest team on an indiviudal year basis. In fact, the next season's Dolphins team that also won it all, was a better team and one of the greats of all-time despite two losses.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:51 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,553,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Remember however a couple of things with the Dolphins that year in the playoffs....1. They had to win the game vs Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh when that great Steeler team was beginning to emerge on the scene. There was some strange rotation of divisions in determining homefield, as almost inexplicably, best record had no factor. 2. None of the three playoff wins were heart-wrenching finishes. The Super Bowl vs the Redskins: hsitory shows a 14-7 final, but the game in reality wasn't really competitive- the only drama that existed late was due to the infamous Yepremmian (fg kicker) botched throw.
I won't agree the Dolphins were lucky that year. I will agree they weren't the greatest team on an indiviudal year basis. In fact, the next season's Dolphins team that also won it all, was a better team and one of the greats of all-time despite two losses.
You are right , a team that goes 32-2 for two seasons winning two straight Super Bowls,that is not luck.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM

311 posts, read 1,281,012 times
Quote:

With the parity and competitiveness in the NFL, this probably will not happen again. The 2 extra games is 2 more opportunities to lose. There is always the risk of injuries that could hamper a good team and they tend to rest their starters if they have things wrapped up early.

As a Dolphins fans, I personally hope not, unless it is the Dolphins again.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 473,950 times
I hope someone else goes undefeated, mostly just because I am tired of how obnoxious the guys from that '72 team are every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or