U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM

643 posts, read 981,734 times

Advertisements

In the UK so many sports teams have been bought by foreigners

Is this heppeing in th US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM

58 posts, read 131,286 times
In the NBA Mikhail Prokhorov (Russian) recently bought the New Jersey Nets and a group of Chinese businessmen are minority owners of the Cleveland Cavaliers. In baseball the Japanese company Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners. Many who are familiar with the industry believe this is going to continue happening in the near future.

I doubt this would go over well in certain leagues like the MLB and NFL because these are viewed as "American" sports, and the local fanbases in many cities would be hesitant to support a foreign owner. The NHL and NBA are more international-type sports, so I think these will be the only leagues where foreign owners could take over and still keep loyal supporters.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykc View Post
In the NBA Mikhail Prokhorov (Russian) recently bought the New Jersey Nets and a group of Chinese businessmen are minority owners of the Cleveland Cavaliers. In baseball the Japanese company Nintendo owns the Seattle Mariners. Many who are familiar with the industry believe this is going to continue happening in the near future.

I doubt this would go over well in certain leagues like the MLB and NFL because these are viewed as "American" sports, and the local fanbases in many cities would be hesitant to support a foreign owner. The NHL and NBA are more international-type sports, so I think these will be the only leagues where foreign owners could take over and still keep loyal supporters.

I could see it happening in the NHL like some random Russian buying a team because its something they actually know but as you said i think your Football teams will not face this until another 10/15 years.

You also said that people would be hesitant. this is what Chelsea FC was like when Roman Abramovich bought them but as he has invested millions into the team, we don't really mind him! Its the same at Manchester City.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,063,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykc View Post

The reality is the a substantial amount of wealth is being created in Asia, Africa, South America and the Middle East. If there is enough money on the table then teams are going to be sold. In most cases a sports team owner realizes the biggest gain on the sale of a team NOT its operation.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM

58 posts, read 131,286 times
Certain supporters of NFL and MLB teams would have no problem with a foreign owner because there are a lot of newer teams with no distinct history, like the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars in the NFL and the Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins in the MLB.

But, if a Russian, Chinese or any foreigner with money bought the Pittsburgh Steelers or say the Cincinnati Reds (my hometown baseball team), I think **** would hit the fan. Take the Reds for example, it is baseball's oldest team formed in 1869 with an extremely loyal fanbase. It has been owned by many local midwestern people, and I am certain that the typical red fan would not find this appealing. My city unfortunately exudes a level of xenophobia that can sometimes be suffocating. It is mainly due to ignorance though.

I understand owners, when selling, are only interested in the highest bidder, but I could see it causing an uproar in certain cities that have strong historical ties to their sports teams.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,563,300 times
Some markets, I could see it happening. Years ago you didn't have stadiums named for sponsors, now it happens all the time, it is all about the money and some people don't care where the source is. I remember the old Comiskey Park and now the White Sox play at US Cellular Field.

Not going to happen in some markets, I'd be shocked if it did, but others that don't have a major connection to the town, sure it could. As previously mentioned you take the old teams like the Cubs, White Sox, Reds, playing baseball since 1870's, it would be very odd to have a foreign owner. Money is the name of the game, maybe I'm naiive but in some cases I don't see it happening.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 AM

3,326 posts, read 4,547,542 times
I would love ANYONE to buy the Bengals from Mike Brown foreigner or not.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,527 times
I agree with the mixed opinon.

Some markets would go for it, some wouldn't. At least some would make a bigger stink about it than others.

I know about the whole Yanks owning Liverpool fiasco.

My opinon; The world is international, if there is a good owner it doesn't matter his nationality. The key is if HE KNOWS OR CARES WHAT THE FLIP THEY DO FOR THE FRANCHISE. Better chance of that happening with a stateside owner.

Also I don't think that NBA is any more international than MLB. Baseball is in Latino America, Japan and Korea, Basketball is in Spain, China, Greece, etc.

NFL is the real "american" sport, but even then it's played in other countries (just real realll minor).

Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I agree with the mixed opinon.

Some markets would go for it, some wouldn't. At least some would make a bigger stink about it than others.

I know about the whole Yanks owning Liverpool fiasco.

My opinon; The world is international, if there is a good owner it doesn't matter his nationality. The key is if HE KNOWS OR CARES WHAT THE FLIP THEY DO FOR THE FRANCHISE. Better chance of that happening with a stateside owner.

Also I don't think that NBA is any more international than MLB. Baseball is in Latino America, Japan and Korea, Basketball is in Spain, China, Greece, etc.

NFL is the real "american" sport, but even then it's played in other countries (just real realll minor).
I'd say the American owners of Liverpool didn't realise that they were expected to pump huge money into the club that's one of the reasons they were not liked unlike say the Man City owners who no one knew but they pumped loads of money in so all the City fans love them!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 AM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times
Dan Rooney is an Ambassador to Ireland and also a Commander of the British Empire. Does that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or