U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
 
416 posts, read 940,912 times
Reputation: 301

Advertisements

The NFL is all about money and hype.
Also they keep making new rules to take the fun out of the game, hence the nickname, the
. . . No Fun League.
The CFL is a better product, more wide open and a more enjoyable game to watch.
Check out the Canadian Football League.
The season will be starting soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,958 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Reputation: 1655
I havent seen a CFL game in eons...but I remember that I did like the game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,770,321 times
Reputation: 371
Hey Football is Football

but due to loyalty and better product, I doubt you will see a big switch over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
The NFL is all about money and hype.
Also they keep making new rules to take the fun out of the game, hence the nickname, the
. . . No Fun League.
The CFL is a better product, more wide open and a more enjoyable game to watch.
Check out the Canadian Football League.
The season will be starting soon!

All leagues are about money and hype. They are businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Two Rivers, Wisconsin
11,722 posts, read 11,540,543 times
Reputation: 12484
I'll stick with the NFL, thanks, and all sports, even if they are remotely professional are still about the money and bottom line.

Farm teams (baseball) if they don't do well they leave the towns they are in and move somewhere else, still about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
Sure all professional sports leagues are about making money. But the NFL takes it to a whole new extreme with little or no regard to the paying fans. I really hope a giant fan backlash occurs against that crap league (a once great league I must admit) and the extreme amount of greed that surrounds it. CFL is fantastic, college football is great...or better yet, check out a sport called rugby. It is a lot like American football minus the constant commercial break interruptions, egotistical players, Hollywood infused b.s.,greed, and most importantly it is very fan friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Sure all professional sports leagues are about making money. But the NFL takes it to a whole new extreme with little or no regard to the paying fans. I really hope a giant fan backlash occurs against that crap league (a once great league I must admit) and the extreme amount of greed that surrounds it. CFL is fantastic, college football is great...or better yet, check out a sport called rugby. It is a lot like American football minus the constant commercial break interruptions, egotistical players, Hollywood infused b.s.,greed, and most importantly it is very fan friendly.


Again, NOT HAPPENING. There's a reason why the NFL is (and has been for a while) the top dog in America. These guys are smarter than most people think. Just because some don't like the NFL, it doesn't mean they'll get their wish to see it die...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,053 posts, read 30,514,706 times
Reputation: 10490
The main reason why rugby appears so much more honest next to the NFL is that it isn't anywhere as popular. Let rugby attain the same level of popularity as football, baseball or basketball in the United States, and all that honesty, innocence, lack of commercialism--however you want to phrase it--will be out the window so fast, your head will be spinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post


Again, NOT HAPPENING. There's a reason why the NFL is (and has been for a while) the top dog in America. These guys are smarter than most people think. Just because some don't like the NFL, it doesn't mean they'll get their wish to see it die...
I agree, but I didn't say it WOULD happen. The NFL has huge "crossover" appeal, and appeals to the most fair weather of the American sports fan. Hell, even women who absolutely hate sports and have no clue what a first down is watch it. If you can get people like that tuning in to watch your league, then you know you are possibly doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,837 posts, read 7,893,740 times
Reputation: 12685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The main reason why rugby appears so much more honest next to the NFL is that it isn't anywhere as popular. Let rugby attain the same level of popularity as football, baseball or basketball in the United States, and all that honesty, innocence, lack of commercialism--however you want to phrase it--will be out the window so fast, your head will be spinning.
You can say the same thing about the NHL. Where I live, it gets zero media attention, yet the play is action packed, fights are allowed, and the players don't "act" like their injured like they do in other sports to get a penalty flag. I call that a real man's sport.

With March Madness going on, pro hockey is non existant on ESPNonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top