Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 PM

297 posts, read 401,489 times

Advertisements

1 Oakland Raiders JaMarcus Russell QB Louisiana State
2 Detroit Lions Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
3 Cleveland Browns Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gaines Adams DE Clemson
Arizona Cardinals Levi Brown OT Penn State
1 Houston Texans Mario Williams DE North Carolina State
New Orleans Saints Reggie Bush RB USC
Tennessee Titans Vince Young QB Texas
4 New York Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia
Green Bay Packers A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State
1 San Francisco 49ers Alex Smith QB Utah
2 Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
3 Cleveland Browns Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
Chicago Bears Cedric Benson RB Texas
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
1 San Diego Chargers Eli Manning QB Mississippi
Oakland Raiders Robert Gallery T Iowa
3 Arizona Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
4 New York Giants Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State
5 Washington Redskins Sean Taylor FS Miami (Fla.)
1 Cincinnati Bengals Carson Palmer QB USC
Detroit Lions Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
3 Houston Texans Andre Johnson WR Miami (Fla.)
New York Jets Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky
5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman CB Kansas State
1 Houston Texans David Carr QB Fresno State
2 Carolina Panthers Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
Detroit Lions Joey Harrington QB Oregon
Buffalo Bills Mike Williams T Texas
5 San Diego Chargers Quentin Jammer DB Texas
1 Atlanta Falcons Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech
2 Arizona Cardinals Leonard Davis G Texas
Cleveland Browns Gerard Warren DT Florida
4 Cincinnati Bengals Justin Smith DE Missouri
5 San Diego Chargers LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian
1 Cleveland Browns Courtney Brown DE Penn State
Washington Redskins LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State
3 Washington Redskins Chris Samuels T Alabama
Cincinnati Bengals Peter Warrick WR Florida State
5 Baltimore Ravens Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee
1 Cleveland Browns Tim Couch QB Kentucky
2 Philadelphia Eagles Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse
Cincinnati Bengals Akili Smith QB Oregon
4 Indianapolis Colts Edgerrin James RB Miami (Fla.)
New Orleans Saints Ricky Williams HB Texas
1 Indianapolis Colts Peyton Manning QB Tennessee
San Diego Chargers Ryan Leaf QB Washington State
Arizona Cardinals Andre Wadsworth DE Florida State
4 Oakland Raiders Charles Woodson CB Michigan
Chicago Bears Curtis Enis RB Penn State
Probably too early still to judge the 2008-2011 drafts, so I listed the 10 drafts from '98 to '07. Out of 50 players I have labeled exactly half, 25 of them in bold lettering, to be all out busts. Of course that doesn't mean the rest are all super stars.

What are your thoughts on these drafts? Am I too harsh on some players? Not harsh enough on others? Which draft stands out as the best? Which one the worst?

I think I like the 2004 draft. And that is regardless of how you would label the late Sean Taylor. Eli is a solid starting QB with a super bowl ring. Fitzgerald just as good a receiver as any other on the list. And Rivers probably the best player on this list outside of Peyton.

As for worst draft, I got to go with 2002. You just can't miss at the top with a QB, and it happened twice in this draft with Carr and Harington. Mike Williams was also a colossal bust. And it doesn't help that the only super star among the three busts was Peppers. Jammer while not a bust, is far from a star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Hard to call these players ''all-out busts'':

Ricky Williams? How is he a bust? Just because Ditka gave up far too many picks to draft him doesn't mean he hasn't had a good career. He's rushed for 1,000 yards in 5 different seasons, has 64 career TDs and is still playing!

LaVar Arrington. It's hard to call a 3-time pro bowler an all out bust. I don't understand this one either. The fact that he never really lit up the stat sheets was more of a product of the system he played in, in my opinion. For 5-6 seasons, though, he had a positive effect on the defense and consistently had 90+ tackles and a couple of sacks per season.

Robert Gallery It took Gallery a long time to develop, but he was Oakland's best offensive lineman last year on a team that rolled people up rushing the ball. Sure, he didn't become the staple LT that people thought, but he was a terrific guard last season and is still playing. I don't think that qualifies.

Cedric Benson Like Gallery, it took him a long time to develop but he just rushed for 1,000 yards in two straight seasons in Cincinnati and is seen as one of the better RBs in the league currently. Don't think that qualifies him.

A.J. Hawk In three of his five seasons, he's had over 100+ tackles. Last year, he had 111 tackles, 3 INTs, a sack, and started on a Super Bowl Champion defense. Calling him an 'all-out bust' makes it seem like he's Andy Katzenmoyer. You're really, really hard to please. lol

Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Hard to call these players ''all-out busts'':

Ricky Williams? How is he a bust? Just because Ditka gave up far too many picks to draft him doesn't mean he hasn't had a good career. He's rushed for 1,000 yards in 5 different seasons, has 64 career TDs and is still playing!
My thinking here is that he was a an "all-out bust" to the Saints. Definitely not any fault of his own. But he is partially to blame for leaving Miami hanging for a couple seasons when he went on sabbatical. He did have two or three really good years before that though. I guess you could call him more of a tweener.

Quote:
LaVar Arrington. It's hard to call a 3-time pro bowler an all out bust.
I always felt the pro-bowls were rather undeserved and more based on name recognition. Maybe it was the system as you say I don't know. His career seemed rather short too for a LB.

Quote:
Robert Gallery It took Gallery a long time to develop, but he was Oakland's best offensive lineman last year on a team that rolled people up rushing the ball. Sure, he didn't become the staple LT that people thought, but he was a terrific guard last season and is still playing. I don't think that qualifies.
I still think he is a bust. As you said, he took a long time to develop, and once he did, he only became a decent guard or maybe terrific, i don't know. But surely not what the Raiders had in mind when they drafted him #2 overall.

Quote:
Cedric Benson Like Gallery, it took him a long time to develop but he just rushed for 1,000 yards in two straight seasons in Cincinnati and is seen as one of the better RBs in the league currently. Don't think that qualifies him.
Similar too Ricky Williams, he didn't do a whole lot for his original team. I thought he was really good for the Bengals in '09 but struggled quite a bit last year, as did his team as a whole. We'll see what he does this year.

Quote:
A.J. Hawk In three of his five seasons, he's had over 100+ tackles. Last year, he had 111 tackles, 3 INTs, a sack, and started on a Super Bowl Champion defense. Calling him an 'all-out bust' makes it seem like he's Andy Katzenmoyer. You're really, really hard to please. lol
Now that I think about it, I probably got this one wrong. I think he is certainly a bust in the sense that you would sure like to have your top five pick, especially a MLB be in the mold of a Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis. But certainly not an all-out bust.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:57 AM

131 posts, read 402,047 times
I dont agree with Ricky Williams being a bust either. If he had not come back to the league after all the drug issues, than yes. But he has been a quality back.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Your list is really good... Here is my only feedback or food for thought. Im not arguing either way. I honestly don't care enough about any of these players but football talk is slow around this time....

Vince Young - He's 30-17 as a starter.

Gaines Adams - Didn't play long enough. And knowing he had an enlarged heart and ultimately died from it is a pretty good excuse anyhow.

Reggie Bush - Really don't have a reason as to why is NOT a bust but I don't think you have one for why he IS either. You dont have Ronnie Brown as a bust who has played one year longer and only hast 1300 more total yards and 5 more TD's. So one good season from Bush and he and Ronnie Brown have the same numbers... #ImJustSaying

Cedric Benson - This one is obvious...
Cadillac Williams - never averaged less than 3.5 yds per carry.
Lavar Arrington - Another obvious one...
Ricky Williams - The most obvious one...

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Cedric Benson - This one is obvious...

Cadillac Williams - never averaged less than 3.5 yds per carry.
While not all out busts, I would label both of them busts. Their career numbers are shockingly similar. Both are trying to live off of basically one good year. Cadillac's was ages ago and Benson's was two years ago. I have also always thought an average under 4.0 for a RB is very poor. An average under 3.5 is practically unheard of.

Quote:
Lavar Arrington - Another obvious one...
Yeah, not an all out bust but a marginal bust. He only had 3 good years with the redskins. Certainly not an Aaron Maybin or Vernon Gholston though.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Reggie Bush - Really don't have a reason as to why is NOT a bust but I don't think you have one for why he IS either. You dont have Ronnie Brown as a bust who has played one year longer and only hast 1300 more total yards and 5 more TD's. So one good season from Bush and he and Ronnie Brown have the same numbers... #ImJustSaying
For the amount of hype that surrounded Bush, especially living in Saints territory, he is a bust. I resent him like Clevelanders resent LBJ.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
For the amount of hype that surrounded Bush, especially living in Saints territory, he is a bust. I resent him like Clevelanders resent LBJ.

Unfortunately, CJ Spiller reminds me of Reggie Bush.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
While not all out busts, I would label both of them busts.

Yeah, not an all out bust but a marginal bust.

I'm sorry but didn't you say this in your OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Out of 50 players I have labeled exactly half, 25 of them in bold lettering, to be all out busts.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
I don't consider Bush a bust as a player. As a RB, yes.
But he is more versatile than just a RB. He is a very good pass catcher and excellent in open space. He helped the Saints win a lombardi and that says enough about his contributions. He's one of those players that didnt live up to the hype, but still is an important part of the team and someone that opposing defenses definitely have to gameplan for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football