Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

297 posts, read 401,538 times

Advertisements

Basically each had three years of production, but it was an elite type of production. Do you think either will eventually get into the Hall? Does one have a better case than the other? My initial thinking is that maybe Priest has a better case but I'm not sure. It seems very close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Basically each had three years of production, but it was an elite type of production. Do you think either will eventually get into the Hall? Does one have a better case than the other? My initial thinking is that maybe Priest has a better case but I'm not sure. It seems very close.
Priest Holmes was a good runner but he's not a hall of famer and his championship ring is more by association than participation.

Terrell Davis, on the other hand, has a 2,000 yard season, was dominant in his championship season and holds a franchise all-time leading rusher crown. His production was truly outstanding and you would not be remiss to throw his name into a discussion about the best runners in the history of the game. The resume is a little short, but I think he's hall of fame material and the Denver sportswriters will eventually be successful in getting him voted in as a second-ballot hall of famer.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Nope. Very good players.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Priest Holmes was a good runner but he's not a hall of famer and his championship ring is more by association than participation.
The thing about Holmes is that he was a great all-around back. As far as I have seen from the research I have done he is the only other RB (Faulk) to go for over 2000 yards from scrimmage for three straight years. He was the definition of dominant from 2001 through 2003.

For my money Marshall Faulk is the best back I have ever seen. He had over 2000 yards from scrimmage for four consecutive years from '98 to '01.

Edgerrin James likely would have had 3 straight years of over 2000 scrimmage yards but he was held to just six games in 2001 due to injury. He did tack on a 3rd in 2004 though. Speaking of Edge, he has to be a for sure hall of famer eventually right?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:32 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
The thing about Holmes is that he was a great all-around back. As far as I have seen from the research I have done he is the only other RB (Faulk) to go for over 2000 yards from scrimmage for three straight years. He was the definition of dominant from 2001 through 2003.

For my money Marshall Faulk is the best back I have ever seen. He had over 2000 yards from scrimmage for four consecutive years from '98 to '01.

Edgerrin James likely would have had 3 straight years of over 2000 scrimmage yards but he was held to just six games in 2001 due to injury. He did tack on a 3rd in 2004 though. Speaking of Edge, he has to be a for sure hall of famer eventually right?
That's a good point and well taken, but I still think that Davis' resume is poorly understood outside of Colorado. Holmes never had a league MVP award, nor did he ever hold the record for consecutive games with at least 100 yards rushing, nor does he trail only Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson in rushing yards gained in the first four years of his career and that whole "back-to-back" Superbowl titles thing is some icing missing from his cake.

EDIT: at any rate, bmd69 may be right... The short career guys are having a lot of trouble getting a bust.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

EDIT: at any rate, bmd69 may be right... The short career guys are having a lot of trouble getting a bust.
I hope both get in eventually. I feel like their is so much hype around Adrian Peterson that he could blow out his knee in week one and the sports writers would vote him in as a first ballot hall of famer.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Compelling question. It's hard for me to penalize RBs for not having the longevity aspect to their careers. It is pretty obvious that is nearly impossible to have at that position compared to others.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:

Terrell Davis, on the other hand, has a 2,000 yard season, was dominant in his championship season and holds a franchise all-time leading rusher crown. His production was truly outstanding and you would not be remiss to throw his name into a discussion about the best runners in the history of the game. The resume is a little short, but I think he's hall of fame material and the Denver sportswriters will eventually be successful in getting him voted in as a second-ballot hall of famer.
I'm a tad bit biased, ah what the hell I'm really biased on Davis!

The first four years of his career was something running backs dream of.

1995 Played in 14 games, actually didn't make his first rushing attempt until the 3rd quarter of week 3(against the Redskins, who Denver beat 38-31), had 237 rushes for 1117 yards, 4.7 yard average, and had 8 touchdowns.

1996-Played in 16 games, had 345 carries for 1538 yards, 4.5 yard average, for 15 touchdowns.

1997-Played in 16 games , had 369 carries for 1750 yards, 4.7 yard average, for 17 touchdowns.

1998-Played in 16 games, had 392 carries for 2008 yards, 5.1 yard average, for 25 touchdowns

Davis is ranked sixth all time in total yardage in playoff games.

Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas, Tony Dorsett, and Marcus Allen are ahead of them. These 5 players played in anywhere from 15 to 21 games. Terrell did it in 8 games.

In 1997 Terrell Davis was named MVP of SB-XXXII.
In 1998 Terrell Davis rushed for 2008 yards.

And here is one more stat on him that for whatever reason does not get a lot of discussion in NFL circles. John Riggins had held a record that no one thought could be beaten. Riggins rushed for 100 or more yards in 7 straight playoff games. Terrell Davis now owns that record, going for 100 or more rushing yards with 8 straight playoff games.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm a tad bit biased, ah what the hell I'm really biased on Davis!

The first four years of his career was something running backs dream of.

1995 Played in 14 games, actually didn't make his first rushing attempt until the 3rd quarter of week 3(against the Redskins, who Denver beat 38-31), had 237 rushes for 1117 yards, 4.7 yard average, and had 8 touchdowns.

1996-Played in 16 games, had 345 carries for 1538 yards, 4.5 yard average, for 15 touchdowns.

1997-Played in 16 games , had 369 carries for 1750 yards, 4.7 yard average, for 17 touchdowns.

1998-Played in 16 games, had 392 carries for 2008 yards, 5.1 yard average, for 25 touchdowns

Davis is ranked sixth all time in total yardage in playoff games.

Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris, Thurman Thomas, Tony Dorsett, and Marcus Allen are ahead of them. These 5 players played in anywhere from 15 to 21 games. Terrell did it in 8 games.

In 1997 Terrell Davis was named MVP of SB-XXXII.
In 1998 Terrell Davis rushed for 2008 yards.

And here is one more stat on him that for whatever reason does not get a lot of discussion in NFL circles. John Riggins had held a record that no one thought could be beaten. Riggins rushed for 100 or more yards in 7 straight playoff games. Terrell Davis now owns that record, going for 100 or more rushing yards with 8 straight playoff games.
So do you think he gets in?

Too bad he wasn't able to bounce back from his torn knee. Come to think of it what backs were able to come back from torn ACLs? I think Frank Gore and McGahee come to mind. Both were pretty young both tore their knees in college while at the U. Didn't Jamal Anderson have a knee injury the same year as Davis and it finished his career too?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
I would have thought he would have gotten in a couple years ago. Politics has a lot of sway these days with the HOF selection committee. It shouldn't but it does. My only comment is Terrell's accomplishments that I've listed here speak for themselves and the fact that the selection committee doesn't have him in there doesn't surprise me, but they are looking foolish not having him in there. One would hope he would get in.

Regarding Jamal Anderson, yes he tore his knee the same year as Terrell did. And also retired from the NFL the same year Terrell did, which was 2001. Sad.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-16-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football