Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM

165 posts, read 304,763 times

Advertisements

Yup, Jacksonville is a horrible market.

Yeah Fred Taylor was a BEAST. There's a reason when asked about best running backs Jim Brown was always saying "Fred Taylor."

‪Fred Taylor Sick Jukes‬‏ - YouTube

^and this isn't even his prime years.

I remember that 240 yard game at Three Rivers against the Steelers on a Primetime Sunday Night game... insane... he made the top run defense look like High Schoolers.

Oh yeah... his son is going to be a PROBLEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOofciEpF9I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
John Gilliam, of the Cardinals, Vikings and Falcons, but largely known for his exploits with Fran Tarkenton of the Vikes; quite the clutch receiver...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
I don't know if he's the most underrated of all time, but I think that Hines Ward has had an underrated career, and merits consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Not that he'd make it on the first ballot, but I'd like to see him make it eventually.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 AM

297 posts, read 401,393 times
How about Derrick Mason? About to be released by the Ravens. 924 receptions, 11,891 yards and 66 TDs. From '97 to '04 he also doubled as a kick and punt returner totaling over 5,000 return yards.

Derrick Mason NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Isaac Curtis. 4x Pro-Bowler during the "Dead Ball" era of football. You must be pretty good to have a rule named after you.

The Isaac Curtis Rule" or "Mel Blount rule" as some call it. Because Isaac Curtis had amazing world class speed there weren't defensive backs that could keep up with Curtis and all teams would double and sometimes even triple cover him. So in 1973 in his first year the Bengals won the Central Division and would face the eventual Super Bowl Champions Miami Dolphins. Don Shula defensive backs didn't have the speed to cover Curtis and decided that he would have them push, bump, and hold him down the field. After that game the NFL defenses including the Steelers started doing the same thing to stop Isaac Curtis. Paul Brown wanted the rule changed telling the NFL Competition Committee "What good is it for us to have performers, if they aren't allowed to perform."
"The Isaac Curtis Rule": A defender is allowed to block a receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. After the initial 5 yards, any contact will be considered holding. Which is a 5 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I don't know if he's the most underrated of all time, but I think that Hines Ward has had an underrated career, and merits consideration for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Not that he'd make it on the first ballot, but I'd like to see him make it eventually.
Figures a Steeler fan bring up Hines Ward.

Even though I'm a Bengal fan and hate the Steelers, Hines Ward has my vote. He's been solid throughout his long career and he does something that WAAAYY too many WR's are afraid of doing: Blocking.

I think if it's a "lean" year for HoF candidates when he is up the first time, I think he can get in on the first ballot. If not, I don't think it would take long for him to get voted in thereafter.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Figures a Steeler fan bring up Hines Ward.

Even though I'm a Bengal fan and hate the Steelers, Hines Ward has my vote. He's been solid throughout his long career and he does something that WAAAYY too many WR's are afraid of doing: Blocking.
With Ward being 35, I think he has a couple more pro bowl seasons left in him. He's sitting with 954 catches for 11702 yards right now. The guy is a hell of a player.

Good call on Isaac Curtis. The thing that hurt him was total receptions as he had just 416. His better years obviously were with Paul Brown as head coach. When Bill "Tiger" Johnson took over the Bengals slowly went into a tailspin until Forrest Gregg took over in 1980.

But Isaac Curtis was scary good when I saw him play. Lance Alworth was as graceful a receiver as I ever saw play and I would put Isaac in that class. If it wasn't for the Steelers dominance from 1972 on the Bengals had the talent to go to a couple super bowls with Curtis on one side, Charlie Joiner on the other, Bob Trumpy at tight end. Kenny Anderson was a very underrated quarterback.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-26-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM

165 posts, read 304,763 times
Kenny Anderson was underrated and good call on Curtis. Mason is another recent guy who's gone overlooked but his production speaks for itself. Ward is a solider.

Also because he's an under the radar type of guy I don't know if people realize how good Marvin Harrison's stats are 1,102 rec 14,580 yds and... 128 tds which is ridiculously high for WRs just like Rice's TD numbers.

Not to mention Harrison just may be an actual gangster in Philadelphia. He owns a whole block in the slums there and bars and has been accused by a man as pulling out two guns at the same time and unloading on his car and hitting him numerous times after he disrespected his bar inside of it earlier LOL dude is crazy. It's always the quiet ones. They actually traced the bullet back to Harrison's gun but still I have no idea why he never got in trouble for it. Must be the money. Also apparently he choked out a kid in a mall for hassling him for an autograph LOL

Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
John Taylor.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
John Taylor.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football