Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the Bengals do with Carson Palmer?
Trade him! 17 70.83%
Let him retire! 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times

Advertisements

Should the Bengals let Palmer retire or should they trade him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM

Personally I agree with the Bengals management. He signed a contract and should be a man of his word whether they are in first place or last. I'm tired of players bullying their teams and forcing a trade to most likely a better team.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Personally I agree with the Bengals management. He signed a contract and should be a man of his word whether they are in first place or last. I'm tired of players bullying their teams and forcing a trade to most likely a better team.
Teams release and trade their players all the time while they have contracts. Brown's sticking to your contract argument is stupid unless he has never traded or cut a player.

This thing about principle is a terrible business decision. Letting him sit at home and not getting anything for him that could help the rebuilding process is just dumb.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Teams release and trade their players all the time while they have contracts. Brown's sticking to your contract argument is stupid unless he has never traded or cut a player.

This thing about principle is a terrible business decision. Letting him sit at home and not getting anything for him that could help the rebuilding process is just dumb.
Teams usually release players when their production is horrible or has been a major dropoff from their previous showings. They are usually released when it effects the cap. In this instance they are still paid and can sign elsewhere.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,593 times
I'm with Alanboy on this one, why should players honor there contracts when the owner(s) who signed the player don't?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,671 times
As a Bengal fan, I'm torn on this issue. The Bengals are a terribly run organization and it all starts with Mike Brown. He is the worst owner in sports. The problem is, he may be the smartest owner in sports. While Carson Palmer is acting like a baby, he's not the first Bengal star to complain about playing for the team. Heck, he's not the 2nd, 3rd or 4th even. Ever since his father Paul Brown died, the Bengals organization has been a laughingstock when at one time, it was very respected and had much more success.

I harbor no ill will towards Palmer. I think he isn't as good as he thinks he is (he should have gotten surgery on his elbow but didn't and now thinks he can still zip the ball in between defenders when he can't) but he's still a solid QB who give the Bengals their best chance to win. Mike Brown stated that Palmer needs to honor his contract and play for the Bengals or retire and that he won't reward him by not honoring his contract. Well Mikey, how about honoring your contract with Bengal fans by producing a consistent winner and investing money into bringing talent (players, coaches, GM, management) to the Bengals?? I'm sure you want to win, but you only will do it if it has a positive effect on your profit line. 2 winning seasons in the past 19 is unacceptable and had you been CEO of a publicly traded company, you would have been fired long ago.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I think this is different from a normal hold out situation. Normally you have both sides losing out. The team wants the player for their production and the player wants the team for their money. So both sides "lose" as long as the hold out continues.

When a player is willing to just walk away from the money all together it is really only the team losing out. And lets be honest, how often is a player willing to actually retire to force his point? Pretty much never. So I don't think this opens up the "flood gates" for other players to do the same thing unless they are all willing to literally walk away from football.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
the bengals are a poor organization but it was o.k. to play for them when they offered him all that money and signing bonus, they've been bad for a long time so Palmer knew what he was getting into when he signed thru 2014. He didn't have to sign that contract, it wasn't his first one out of college.

he didn't mind playing for the Bengals when he got the big signing bonus.

and b/c everyone knows he's not happy and wants out the Bengals are in a tough situation to try and get fair market value for him.

the Bengals stood by him while he spent all that time on the IR, getting paid all the while, so I have no sympathy for him.

a contract is a contract is a contract.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
I haven't paid that close of attention, but what is the positive for the Bengals to just let him retire, the fact they win the pissing contest? Is that really more important then getting some value out of it?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
As a Steelers fan I like it. Just means they get nothing in return and probably a worse team for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football