U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM

297 posts, read 340,535 times

Advertisements

Is there a player in a better position for a hold out? Whether one agrees or disagrees on the player tactic of holding I think one would have to see that financially this is a good move that should work out for Jackson in the end.

A couple important factors come to mind.

1) He is arguably the biggest piece to their puzzle. When you combine his contributions as a punt and kick returner with his big play ability from the WR position his value goes through the roof. He is a big time player in 2 of the 3 phases of the game.

2) Clearly the Eagles feel like this year and the next couple of years is their best shot to win it all. It would be catastrophic for them if they started the season without their best player. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't give Desean Jackson whatever he wanted once things come down to the wire given all the moves they have made to try to set themselves up to make a run this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,018,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Is there a player in a better position for a hold out?
Yes, Chris Johnson for the Titans is in a better position for a holdout. Chris Johnson is possibly the best HB in the whole NFL. Whereas, Desean Jackson to me is not even in the top five receivers in the NFL, but he is a game changing player.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Yes, Chris Johnson for the Titans is in a better position for a holdout. Chris Johnson is possibly the best HB in the whole NFL. Whereas, Desean Jackson to me is not even in the top five receivers in the NFl, but he is a game changing player.
Problem with the Titans is that they are not anywhere close to competing for a super bowl. This hurts CJ's leverage. At very best they are looking to just compete in their division and MAYBE make the playoffs. They haven't gone all out to try and win a super bowl this year.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Wow, Eagles just signed Ronnie Brown to a one year contract. They're definitely trying to gear up for a big season this year. Hopefully they have their best player.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,103,473 times
I think this is a bad idea for him to holdout. The Eagles are signing people like crazy and how much money can be left? Also there are other wr out there. The Eagles historically aren't a good team to play this game with. Desean either get on the train or get left behind.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I think this is a bad idea for him to holdout. The Eagles are signing people like crazy and how much money can be left?
On the flip side the Eagles could look like fools if they fail to take care of their players already on the team and miss the playoffs entirely because of it. Eagles will have HUGE expectations this season because of these signings. No doubt they will need Jackson to help them get to where they want to go.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,018,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Wow, Eagles just signed Ronnie Brown to a one year contract. They're definitely trying to gear up for a big season this year. Hopefully they have their best player.
Wow, this is starting to be ridiculous. The Eagles are starting to remind me of the Washington Redskins by spending all of this money. We shall see if the outcome is better than what the Redskins have experienced.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:23 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,794,977 times
Bottom line is with the new rules players have very little leverage. Why do you think other players have already ended their so called hold outs. One way or the other he will report to camp 30 days before the first game. Otherwise he is the property of the Eagles next year as well under the same circumstances. Throw in a 30K a day fine as well.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
The only reason he does what he does is due to his speed and the speed of his teammates (i.e. Maclin). He leaves that team and his numbers decrease. Guarantee.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,891,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The only reason he does what he does is due to his speed and the speed of his teammates (i.e. Maclin). He leaves that team and his numbers decrease. Guarantee.
You can say that for almost anyone though. No one is can reach their potential without good team mates around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football