U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non_conformist View Post
Props to quarterbacks like Aikman, Drew Bledsoe who started on lousy teams and went on to win Super Bowls. Also kudos to Marino, Elway for carrying their teams farther than they would have gone without them at quarterback.

Bledsoe won a Super Bowl as Tom Brady's backup.. he lost the Super Bowl to the Packers as a Starter..

Aikman was on a lousy team that won 3 of 4 Super Bowls. I wish the Cowboys were that lousy now?!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Only if you dont know what you are talking about. Anyone that uses Super Bowl rings to judge how good a QB is is a moron. A team wins a Super Bowl, not a single player. You can be the best QB that ever played the game and never have experienced a playoff win much less a SB win. How you rate how great a player is is how they played their individual position, not how much success or lack of success their team experienced.

A lot of people consider Tony G the best TE of all-time and not only has he never won a playoff game but he has only played in like 4 playoff games his whole career.
I agree that Super Bowl rings is over-rated when judging QBs but you can't use the greatest TE in comparison. A Great TE can help the team win a game or two. I great QB can take that same team all the way to the SUPER BOWL.. there is really no comparison.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 7,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Bledsoe won a Super Bowl as Tom Brady's backup.. he lost the Super Bowl to the Packers as a Starter..

Aikman was on a lousy team that won 3 of 4 Super Bowls. I wish the Cowboys were that lousy now?!
I think you're missing the point. Drew Bledsoe helped build the Patriots into a Super Bowl contender, along with the deep pockets of the Kraft family. Brady is a good quarterback no doubt, but he was sorta born into the NFL with a silver spoon in his mouth. Bledsoe is the one who took all the sacks behind a losuy offensive line all those years while building them into a Super Bowl contender. How can a "lousy" team win three out of four Super Bowl's? Are you confusing Aikman for Jim Kelly and the Bills?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM

That was my question? who can a lousy team win Super Bowls... which Aikman did and one poster said he was on a lousy team.. which i may have misinterpreted..

Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM

2,490 posts, read 1,203,169 times
If rings are not important then that probably means you don't value winning very much... as they correlate. And that's is perfectly ok.

But it's funny that when people make the Andy Dalton & Cam Newton comparison... the folks that think Dalton is better... it is because his teams wins.

Same can be said for Flacco vs Ryan. People give Flacco the edge because he has won some playoff games and Ryan hasn't.

Just an interesting perspectives when you are looking at guys just starting out.

It's also used to ridicule a guy... ie Romo and Vick.

Final point... if wins are not important in determining the best QB, then why is it in their stat line?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,123,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
If rings are not important then that probably means you don't value winning very much... as they correlate. And that's is perfectly ok.
That's not true at all. It just means a person has some common sense. This is a team game and it takes a team to win no matter how good your QB is. A QB needs 52 other guys to win games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Final point... if wins are not important in determining the best QB, then why is it in their stat line?
I have always thought that was foolish but I guess you could correlate a QB to a pitcher in baseball. With that said, I dont know that wins for a QB is an official stats even though it is tracked by some people.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM

2,490 posts, read 1,203,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's not true at all. It just means a person has some common sense. This is a team game and it takes a team to win no matter how good your QB is. A QB needs 52 other guys to win games.
Relax man... I said it was ok if you think that way. It doesnt mean people who have different opinions (cause it is an opinion) dont have common sense. There are tons of people who are much smarter than you who think wins are important and maybe the most important.

Jim Harbaugh says it the ONLY stat that matters...
Are wins the only worthy QB stat? (http://www.csncalifornia.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Are-wins-the-only-worthy-QB-stat?blockID=565700 - broken link)

Bill Parcells said wins are important because stats must come in the context of winning games.
Bill Parcells’ four rules for drafting a quarterback | Smart Football

Last edited by Mr. GE; 10-20-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,276,310 times
Montana
Marino
Bradshaw
Peyton
Favre

Fouts, Warner, Staubach, Kelly, Moon, are a few others that come to mind. Another that people may give me crap for but for what he did in CFL and stint in NFL - Doug Flutie. That little dude coule play is a$$ off.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM

7,710 posts, read 6,237,299 times
Ahhh, Doug Flutie, I always liked him! Hard to make a list of five too many great ones to choose! Bart Starr would be on my list!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM

738 posts, read 472,552 times
Starr, Unitas, Jurgensen, Graham, Montana.

You can't just look at lifetime totals. 12 to 14 to 16 game seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football