Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,733,200 times

Advertisements

call me crazy, but I think we still got a shot. Not gonna be easy, but I am getting some flashbacks to 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,640,562 times
I dont think so. Their schedule is not easy either. Eli looks like crap but maybe its due to his crappy line not being able to keep pressure off him.

They lost smith who signed to the Eagles. Smith was Mannings most reliable wide out. He was a pro bowler. He injured his knee and they got rid of him. Bad move.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM

9,346 posts, read 20,705,974 times
No, and for a variety of reasons. First of all, the defensive secondary is terrible. Even with the strong pass rushing presence of their front four (their greatest strength) it wasn't enough to make Rex Grossman look like an all-pro in week 1. Vick and Romo have four games against this secondary, the Giants will be lucky to win 1 of those games. They won't be able to stop Brady, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Sanchez either.

2/5ths of their offensive line was axed between the end of the lockout and the shortened training camp, which was exacerbated by no OTAs during the offseason. Ask any coordinator in the league what position requires the greatest amount of continuity, and it's inarguably the offensive line. The two replacements (Baas & Beatty) haven't been spun up adequately enough when it comes to pass blocking. This will likely cause Eli to lose a game to injury this year for the first time in his career.

Speaking of Eli, he's not comfortable in the pocket, because his slot receiving presence in the form of Boss, his tight end, and Smith, have made him become overly dependent on throwing mostly to the split end and the flanker, i.e. outside passing game. That's why his completion percentage this year is going to be south of 60%. The run game remains stoudt, and if the Giants are going to have any shot this year, they are going to have to learn how to shorten games with ground control, because I feel they are going to be vulnerable on the other side to a lot of 30-40 yard pass plays.

In short, this season is going to be a train wreck.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,816,116 times
I think they have a shot. It's not like those injuries are real or anything....

j/k

Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,474,083 times
Eli Manning changed his name to "injuries"? Yes, then, I think that will kill the Giants' playoff chances.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:44 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Eli looks like crap but maybe its due to his crappy line not being able to keep pressure off him.
I am waiting to see if the day will come when the front office admits that Eli Manning is neither his father Archie, nor his brother Peyton. Aside from that appearance in the Super Bowl--for which you cannot take anything away from him; he stepped up and played a legitimate, championship-quality game--the fact is that a quarterback with as much time in the league as he has should be able to read defenses better. Oh, and not make boneheaded plays when he's under pressure. He is, when you toss the media-driven hype aside, not anything special.

The Giants painted themselves into a corner, big-time, when they gave Manning that outlandish new contract. I suppose they couldn't trade him now even if they wanted to. Besides, who'd want him?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,630,263 times
I dont think the injuries are gonna kill the Giants, I think they already have killed the Giants (with some help of course).

Yes, I know they say injuries arent an excuse, but at some point, with too many injuries your depth just really suffers. The Giants secondary, well, really the corners, are just pathetic now.

Everyone forgets about Bruce Johnson, but he blew his Achilles out early in Training camp. That was the beginning of the run of injuries right there. Johnson was probably going to be the fifth corner (I know that isnt worth bragging about), but when Thomas and Prince went down, he would have been more important.

Basically, in the secondary, they are one more injury away having to go to the street (they almost already have: Brian Williams anyone? He isnt with the Falcons anymore--that tells you something--the Falcons secondary, is...meh.) for corners.

Do you really like the idea of Brian Williams against Dez Bryant or Deshawn Jackson? The Giants are having Rolle play a lot of nickle corner--I would suspect way more than they would like.

However, it isnt just the injuries alone...the whole offense out-of-sync thing is troublesome as well.

I know at this point in 2007 we didnt know it was going to turn out to be, well, 2007, but this doesnt feel like 2007 to me at all.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,733,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I am waiting to see if the day will come when the front office admits that Eli Manning is neither his father Archie, nor his brother Peyton. Aside from that appearance in the Super Bowl--for which you cannot take anything away from him; he stepped up and played a legitimate, championship-quality game--the fact is that a quarterback with as much time in the league as he has should be able to read defenses better. Oh, and not make boneheaded plays when he's under pressure. He is, when you toss the media-driven hype aside, not anything special.

The Giants painted themselves into a corner, big-time, when they gave Manning that outlandish new contract. I suppose they couldn't trade him now even if they wanted to. Besides, who'd want him?
Read defenses better? Eli is great at reading defenses. He changes the play at the line all the time. Giants have 6 guys on offense who are either new starters, or shifted positions. It is going to take some time to gel, especially considering the lockout

The criticism of Eli is really annoying. The guy is the best Giants QB ever but gets hated on all of the time, even though he has an extensive track record. Not saying he is Tom Brady or his brother, but he is a top 10 QB.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,640,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Eli Manning changed his name to "injuries"? Yes, then, I think that will kill the Giants' playoff chances.
lol

Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,727,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Read defenses better? Eli is great at reading defenses. He changes the play at the line all the time. Giants have 6 guys on offense who are either new starters, or shifted positions. It is going to take some time to gel, especially considering the lockout

The criticism of Eli is really annoying. The guy is the best Giants QB ever but gets hated on all of the time, even though he has an extensive track record. Not saying he is Tom Brady or his brother, but he is a top 10 QB.
Part of my criticism of Eli is that there is not a game that goes by where he doesn't get a delay of game call or a intentional grounding call against him. He seems to have his head up his ass out there and way too many interceptions and fumbles. He's not horrible, but he's not in the league of a Tom Brady as he claims to be. I put him in the same class as Jay Cutler or Kyle Orton, a second tier QB who looks and performs way better when the team is running on all cylinders.

I'm not convinced that the Giants have a shot at the playoffs this year. The Skins are a different team from last year and the Eagles will most likely dominate the division once again. It's a long way ahead to call it just yet, and a key injury for any team can change the entire outcome of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football