Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,657,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Aaron Curry is a linebacker.

Andrew Luck is a quarterback.

The fact is if you're Indy or KC and you know you're going to lose the majority of your games this season, why wouldn't you want the opportunity to select a guy that looks like the best QB coming out of college since... well, probably Peyton Manning? Anything can happen, but what's the harm? Both of those teams stink out loud anyway.
Yeah, that's a silly comparison.

Aaron Curry? Really?

If there is a great talent available and you happen to have the #1 pick, you take him. That is, if your quarterback is 36 years old and coming off of a major surgery or your quarterback is inconsistent and is most known for backing up Tom Brady and then going on to have one decent season.

You never pass up a great passer or a great pass rusher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,786,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Who do you think wins this? I think the Chiefs are in the forfront. They lost there best offensive and defensive players to injury.
What about Colts?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM

27,103 posts, read 43,770,464 times
Who cares about Luck? Very few college QBs "heralded" by the experts go on to impress in the NFL (i.e. Matt Leinert, Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr and Brady Quinn). So much consensus on Luck should be a warning sign rather than a guarantee of success in my opinion. Keep your eye out for Northern Illinois's Chandler Harnish, a 4 year starter who has an NFL-skillset of accuracy, arm strength and good decision-making as well as playing in a conference that has churned out starting NFL QBs over the past decade or so (the MAC).

Old 10-02-2011, 09:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,657,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Who cares about Luck? Very few college QBs "heralded" by the experts go on to impress in the NFL (i.e. Matt Leinert, Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr and Brady Quinn). So much consensus on Luck should be a warning sign rather than a guarantee of success in my opinion. Keep your eye out for Northern Illinois's Chandler Harnish, a 4 year starter who has an NFL-skillset of accuracy, arm strength and good decision-making as well as playing in a conference that has churned out starting NFL QBs over the past decade or so (the MAC).
Who cares about Harnish? Very few college QBs "heralded" by posters on message boards go on to impress in the NFL.

I'll tell you what...PM me and we'll keep an ongoing conversation about this. I GUARANTEE you that, five years from now, Andrew Luck will be a better NFL quarterback than Chandler Harnish.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:09 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,645,088 times
How could I forget Jacksonville! That is the answer...well, the Colts without Manning is a great bet, but the Jags started the season by throwing games--when they cut their starting QB!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,891,224 times
Well the Chefs dumped my Vikes. I can put up with inaccurate McNabb and receivers who cant get open for another 12 weeks.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,454,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, but they didnt throw games, either...
Yeah, and they didn't go out and try to win any. And I would completely disagree with that. They had 7 seasons prior to their specatacular bad season that they were top three in the West, and lo' and behold, they were suddenly terrible. They pick up Duncan, immediately go two rounds into the playoffs, and bam, win the Title the following year. I remember quite well them playing let's just say, well below the level of their talent. But, I'm a Suns fan...I may just be bitter

Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,201,327 times
the spurs team had a lot of legit injuries that year ... they definitely played at their talent level

the question with them wasn't if they tanked the games they played, but if they just didn't deem it worth it to get some of the big guns back in the lineup

robinson missed pretty much all season ... sean elliott most of it ... 'nique was brought in to be a bench guy and ended up leading the team in scoring .... the spurs had an older team with their two main pieces having some injuries ..... they just made the decision to give additional healing time

they also finished with the 3rd worst record, which if the lotto held true would have put them out of the duncan sweepstakes

this would equate to the colts fairly closely if manning is able to play the last month and the colts just leave him on the bench

Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,645,088 times
^^ What he said. Dominique led them in scoring that year...and that wasnt exactly the Human Highlight Film Dominique...

Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,843,090 times
Colts in the lead in Luck sweepstakes. 50% chance Peyton will retire, per Fox's Chris Myers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football