Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times

Advertisements

If Rodgers gets rushed, he could have issues. When he has all day to throw, he just does what he wants, sometimes his 3rd or 4th choice. Packers have many options, so the key is limiting those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
I doubt it but Stafford looked good today. Maybe bringing Barry Sanders out of retirement would help. I'd like to see Detroit pick up the win because their comeback from the last few years has been good for that city and anything is possible but as a betting man, I wouldn't put any money on it.

Last edited by Lancet71; 11-20-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 PM

It will be interesting to see how this game plays out. Rodgers had an unusual day, defense took a step back, and Starks is hurt. Pack doesn't have a running game, Starks is half of it and better than Grant. Score doesn't tell the story, if defense didn't have 2 picks (again) Pack would have lost.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Found this tidbit on my Facebook wall. I have not fact checked it yet but I like what I read:

"The last time the Packers were 10-0 was in 1962. They finished 13-1. Their only loss: Thanksgiving in Detroit."

To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooooooooooooooo!

Go Lions.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM

A true fact, I posted on it the other day somewhere in this section! Talking heads are already mentioning it!

Packers did beat the Giants for the championship back then one loss was o.k, I think! I'm sure the Pack would take a loss and be quite happy with a SB win.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Found this tidbit on my Facebook wall. I have not fact checked it yet but I like what I read:

"The last time the Packers were 10-0 was in 1962. They finished 13-1. Their only loss

Go Lions.
As a kid growing up in the late 50's, I was embracing pro football as well as pro baseball. And I remember that game.

Back then there were no such thing as wildcard games. The east winner met the west winner and that decided the NFL Championship. That year Detroit finished 11-3 under George Wilson. And they had a powerhouse defense with players like Joe Schmidt, Dick "Night Train" Lane, Dick LeBeau, Wayne Walker, Roger Brown, and Yale Larry (famous for that flat top of his) who also was one of the best NFL punters-ever. Schmidt, Lane, and LeBeau are HOFers; Schmidt and Lane were voted into "The Greatest 100 Players In Pro Football History."

From what I remember, the actual unsung hero of this game was Roger Brown, someone whose name most likely has never been mentioned on City Data. The players from that era remember him though. The guy could play!

Bart Starr was sacked 11 times that day, with Roger Brown having six of them. By halftime the Lions were up 23 zip, the final score was 26-14. Every time through the early 60's when the Lions and Packers would meet it would be an all out war; Green bay dominated the NFL back then and Detroit had some damn good clubs but could not win their division. Those games were grudge matches. That's why the NFC Central division later became known as the "Black and Blue Division." The year after that game the Chicago Bears were NFL Champions. And a few years after that Minnesota quick being an expansion "patsie" and became a good football team.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
As a kid growing up in the late 50's, I was embracing pro football as well as pro baseball. And I remember that game.

Back then there were no such thing as wildcard games. The east winner met the west winner and that decided the NFL Championship. That year Detroit finished 11-3 under George Wilson. And they had a powerhouse defense with players like Joe Schmidt, Dick "Night Train" Lane, Dick LeBeau, Wayne Walker, Roger Brown, and Yale Larry (famous for that flat top of his) who also was one of the best NFL punters-ever. Schmidt, Lane, and LeBeau are HOFers; Schmidt and Lane were voted into "The Greatest 100 Players In Pro Football History."

From what I remember, the actual unsung hero of this game was Roger Brown, someone whose name most likely has never been mentioned on City Data. The players from that era remember him though. The guy could play!

Bart Starr was sacked 11 times that day, with Roger Brown having six of them. By halftime the Lions were up 23 zip, the final score was 26-14. Every time through the early 60's when the Lions and Packers would meet it would be an all out war; Green bay dominated the NFL back then and Detroit had some damn good clubs but could not win their division. Those games were grudge matches. That's why the NFC Central division later became known as the "Black and Blue Division." The year after that game the Chicago Bears were NFL Champions. And a few years after that Minnesota quick being an expansion "patsie" and became a good football team.
Once upon a time the Lions were a force to reckoned with. Wish I was alive during those days. I usually have to defend the Lions by bringing up the Lions of yore. They've been futile-mediocre my entire life aside from a few seasons. At least there is finally light at the end after a horrendous decade. Even during the past decade I looked forward to Thanksgiving Day because of the Lions game. I can't wait for Thursday.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM

I remember watching those games with my dad as he was a major Bart Starr fan and never embraced Chicago teams even though we lived in Illinois. They just showed some pictures from that game on the halftime show. Thursday we'll hear about it many times, I'm sure. I love seeing the old clips, Vince Lombardi.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

"The last time the Packers were 10-0 was in 1962. They finished 13-1. Their only loss: Thanksgiving in Detroit."

To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooooooooooooooo!

Go Lions.
I hope they can repeat this!!

Hopefully Ford Field will be rockn and the crowd can cause alot of penalties for faults starts and broken plays. Home field advantage is HUGE when you have a good Detroit team.

Having a home game yesterday and not having to fly home from somewhere like the Packs are doing is helpful too.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Heh.

Young Mr. Stafford threw 5 TDs yesterday.

The last Lion QB to do this?

Bobby Layne....1962.

Prob'ly the last year they beat the Packers on Thanksgiving.

This is the game to watch, folks.

Gonna be hard to watch Miami vs. Dallas right after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football