Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or Los Angeles?
Oakland 20 80.00%
Los Angeles 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,461 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think?

Growing up, I have always associated the Raiders with Los Angeles because gangster rap there popularized the thuggish image of the Raiders there. Since moving up to the Bay Area, the Raiders games have been blacked out and don't feel as much as home.

Plus, I don't think the Bay Area is large enough to have 2 teams. If Chicago doesn't have two teams, and its MUCH MUCH larger than the Bay Area, why should the Bay Area have two teams?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,790 times
I started rooting for the Raiders in the mid 70's and they drew very well then in Oakland, but they contended every year.

the drew very well the 1st couple of years in LA but once the winning stopped attendance dropped dramatically

Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
As an LA resident, definitely consider them WAY more of an Oakland team than an LA team.

Here's some simple math to see why:

Oakland Raiders
1960-1982: Oakland
1982-1995: Los Angeles
1995-Present: Oakland

So, out of the 52 seasons the Raiders have been there as a franchise, 39 of them have been in Oakland while only 13 of them were in Los Angeles. 2/3 of their Super Bowl wins were in Oakland, along with 3/4 of the Conference Wins, 14/21 of their division championships were in Oakland, etc.

While the Raiders still have a HUGE following in the LA area in a way that the Rams don't, that doesn't necessarily mean they are an LA team. The Chargers and 49ers also have a HUGE following here. In fact, since LA LOVES bandwagoning, I'd expect to see the latter's fans coming out of the woodwork soon enough.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,100 times
Oakland Team and LA gangsta-clothing symbol. That is all.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Good chance the Raiders could be moving BACK to L.A....

Old 11-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Good chance the Raiders could be moving BACK to L.A....
We've heard that one before for other teams...

I'll believe it when I see it. "Moving to LA" is always used as some bargaining chip for NFL teams to extract concessions from a team's city for a better stadium, more benefits, etc.

As for actually moving here? It's like one of those hot girls who always says "Yeah, I want to go out with you, but....."

Old 11-18-2011, 06:18 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I think the Raiders have an appeal to disenfranchised fans from area teams with less than stellar records as well as one looking to have an image of being an outlaw or even a little bit psycho.
I'll give them credit for not having the self esteem issues to latch onto the high winning record teams, but some, not all, but definitely some, do come across as being phonies. But probably just as many or more are loyal fans. Its an odd amalgam of fan types but not a bad one.
Hey, I'm seeing Cowboys jackets being pulled out from the back of the closet and being worn again. They must be having a half decent season. Its interesting, you either see a Cowboys jacket that looks like it was pulled from a landfill( and the wearer may live there), or you see one that looks like it was practically never worn.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Which pro team is the most popular in the LA area? Is it the Raiders? Chargers? Rams? Cowboys? USC ?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think the Raiders have an appeal to disenfranchised fans from area teams with less than stellar records as well as one looking to have an image of being an outlaw or even a little bit psycho.
I'll give them credit for not having the self esteem issues to latch onto the high winning record teams, but some, not all, but definitely some, do come across as being phonies. But probably just as many or more are loyal fans. Its an odd amalgam of fan types but not a bad one.
Hey, I'm seeing Cowboys jackets being pulled out from the back of the closet and being worn again. They must be having a half decent season. Its interesting, you either see a Cowboys jacket that looks like it was pulled from a landfill( and the wearer may live there), or you see one that looks like it was practically never worn.
The Raiders and Cowboys are 2 teams that seem to attract a certain demographic outside of their home markets....I see quite a few fans of both teams around here in PA, nowhere near Oakland or Dallas. I know the Cowboys picked up a lot of bandwagon fans in their glory days in the 70s and 90s, but it also seems that rednecks and hicks tend to like the Cowboys (not to say all Cowboys fans are rednecks, but just that rednecks tend to like the Cowboys). I see a lot of Cowboys stickers on pickup trucks alongside NASCAR stickers, naked lady stickers/mudflaps, and those "Calvin peeing" stickers (usually peeing on whichever brand of pickup truck they don't like). The Raiders on the other hand, seem to attract the "thug" element....the people who like to act like they're some kind of tough guy.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Which pro team is the most popular in the LA area? Is it the Raiders? Chargers? Rams? Cowboys? USC ?
Pro Football? I'd say something like this:

55% Whoever seems to be winning that season and most likely to win the Super Bowl (New England, Green Bay, Patriots, etc.)
20% SD Chargers
15% Oakland Raiders
10% SF 49ers (though part of that 55% above is going here this season.)

In terms of football loyalties overall, USC then UCLA, then NFL teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football