Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver and just started watching the Broncos this year. I have to admit it is because I enjoy reading about and watching Tim Tebow. I'm not a fan of the National Felons League but am more than happy to be a fan of the National Football league. As a result I do not follow things or analyze things the way that most of you do as long time fans and football analysts.

So here is my question. Is it common for the team's management to be so critical publicly of their players? I certainly understand the fans being critical, the opposing team's management being critical, opposing players being critical and the media being critical. But the part that is surprising me is the Bronco's coach and Elway being so publicly critical. I would think it would be in their best interest to provide constructive criticism internally and support the team members when they are talking to the media. Do all teams do this?

Thanks in advance for providing some insight.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I find it very odd and not very constructive. I don't know if it is the age we live in or what but open criticism of players to me is bad, counter productive.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Personally, it seems like a breath of fresh air to hear the truth when asked. I get so tired of hearing the PC answer to every question the media asks of coaches, players, etc. We know that most answers still mask the truth, but it's nice to hear a little honesty now and then.

If you're referring to Elway's comments about him not knowing if Tebow is the team's franchise QB or not, I didn't find that to be critical nor destructive -- just honest. Nobody "knows" what kind of QB Tebow will be over the long haul. He's apparently a very hard worker and great leader, but that's not enough. I doubt if anyone wants him to succeed more than Elway does, but he still has a bit to prove. The Broncos want a QB that can lead the team to a Super Bowl win, not just knock off the mediocre teams. I hope Tebow can be that guy, but nobody knows at this point.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Default Curious management style

I wasn't wondering if it is true (I think everyone agrees that no one knows what will happen), I was just wondering if it was NFL management style to openly criticize your own players. With all the other factions critiquing the players I was surprised to see Broncos management pile on. I would have expected them to back their own player.

The Broncos seem to bounce around with different head coaches and different quarterbacks. Maybe it is just their style to not back their own people. I think Elway played for the Broncos for 14 years before getting a Super Bowl win. I'm glad he had a chance to develop and get there. I hope the Broncos can figure out it pays to back someone and work with them to develop than to continue to cast out to the draft every year in hope of instant gratification.

In the mean time I sure am enjoying the season. Not just for the wins (which sure are nice) but for the play and the commentary (will he or won't he). I even enjoy the critique coming from fans, analyst and the opposition. I don't enjoy critique from management. I'd rather think they were a cohesive team unit (both managers and players).

Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
A word here. I've recently closed three other Tebow threads as because of these subjects after a while stray from the original thread question. This thread makes a good point-I don't believe a question has been asked before regarding any player being questioned by management-controversial or not. And Tebow is controversial but in a different way.

Let's keep posts along the management issue here. Thanks!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-02-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I doubt very much that anyone else but Tebow would be exposed to such scrutiny as he's clearly a polarizing topic in the NFL right now and any other starting QB (and winning at that) would be treated with a little more respect by the owners/management. I think it's human nature (mob mentality) to take advantage of the opportunity to openly criticize when it's one-sided, openly practiced and seemingly encouraged by peers. It's really sad that the Broncos organization isn't more affirming of Tebow and were I in his shoes might rethink allegiance to the organization at contract time should his success continue.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I doubt very much that anyone else but Tebow would be exposed to such scrutiny as he's clearly a polarizing topic in the NFL right now and any other starting QB (and winning at that) would be treated with a little more respect by the owners/management. I think it's human nature (mob mentality) to take advantage of the opportunity to openly criticize when it's one-sided, openly practiced and seemingly encouraged by peers. It's really sad that the Broncos organization isn't more affirming of Tebow and were I in his shoes might rethink allegiance to the organization at contract time should his success continue.
Here's the facts: Tebow is very religious and does have a good attitude towards others. The problem is that the media over sold him and pissed people off. Management is just trying to spread his good attitude to the rest of the team. Unfortunately right now, his skills don't match how much he is talked about.

Any future comments regarding Tebow to be made on the sticky at the top of page one.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-12-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football