Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I agree with a lot on here but this is the stone cold truth. Tony is awful. He has a radio show in the Dc area and he rarely talks about sports!!! I always make fun of my brother for watching pti because this man admits all the time that he basically doesn't watch the games because he goes to bed really early. Why would I want to listen to someone talk about sports that he doesn't even watch?
Tony Corn-fed was easily the worst MNF commentator I've ever seen. He was just a bad choice from the beginning. He didnt even like planes. How would he travel to MNF games from DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Tony Corn-fed was easily the worst MNF commentator I've ever seen. He was just a bad choice from the beginning. He didnt even like planes. How would he travel to MNF games from DC?
Yeah I can't stand Tony Kornhole. I hate all of ESPN actually. As for flying, Madden never flew either, he had his own tour bus.

I agree on Shannon Sharpe too, horrible.

I like Joe Buck, I'm luke warm over Aikman. I also like James Brown.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Madden is how old? If you had that much money and could do whatever you wanted wouldnt you retire at some point. On top of that, he always said the obvious such as, "if they get into the end zone here, they will score 6 points." He actually said that numerous times or said, "if the defensive back catches the ball, it will result in an interception." It felt like he was announcing the game to people that didnt know the rules. I really think he was drinking heavily when announcing the games.
Madden has so much passion and he was a perfect chemistry with Summerall. I don't it was a movie issue was it? I mean he could have retired years ago if he wanted to.

Madden was mainly into deep stats but Sumerall did the actual announcing.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I think they should get away from using former players and move toward using journalists again. While there's no doubt that a former player's insight is valuable, I would prefer to hear from someone who is actually good at calling a game and can analyze from an outside perspective. Journalists have spent their whole career analyzing the game's finer details, players spent most of it on the field.
Pretty much, I have no problem with this overall sentiment. I guess I would really like to see them get a better balance between journalist and athlete...I mean, just because you played, doesnt mean you should automatically get a gig. Yes, the right athlete should be able to enlighten viewers/listeners with the true experience of playing. But...how many of them can actually do this in a thoughtful, concise, entertainining manner (If you want to argue that is a skill hardly anyone has, I agree, but that is a topic for another forum)?

I dont think most of the current batch of athlete analysts qualify. Seriously, I think they should get some training like most professions before being released on the mic. Emmitt Smth? Really? He had a hard time getting out thoughts that made sense. Michael Irvin? You dont have to yell. Someone should be telling these guys this. Or better still, making them up their game before they get to analyze a game!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I always liked them together, but they are simply...well...old. Pat Summerall is listed as 81 and his bio says he was doing this since 1962. My dad is currently in his mid-60s and I think that would make him a freshman in high school that year. lol

Madden is up there too. Listed at 76. Something tells me that they were sort of forced out of there given their age.

Either way, I have to admit that I'm impressed with Troy Aikman and Joe Buck.
I like Steve Young also.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I did favor Summerall and Madden.. I have not heard any better since they left.
As for the prime time booths, I like Mayott and his partner on NFL network but probably only because they are still a new voice. I like Terico but his partners (Jaws and Gruden) are over the top for me.
I can stand Michaels and Collinsworth, but Collinsworth is starting to get old.

Back in the day there was nothing better than Cosell, Meredith and Gifford.
I like Musberger a lot, but he is College only these days.

As for the pre game stuff.. man its hard to watch that many hours of pregame. Pregame used to be a 30 minute show leading up to the game. NFL Today was my favorite. Now the Pregame starts on Tuesday and runs all the way to kickoff. I love the NFL stuff early in the season but by seasons end I am simply sick of all the coverage and begging for something else to roll around. I even watched some NBA on christmas to get away from the NFL coverage.

I suppose if your team is the HOT team (Packers, Saints) then its easy to watch the pregame because its nothing but love from all the analyst. But if your team is barely floating above .500 or god forbid in the suck for luck hunt then you can only take so much bashing before you turn the channel!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
As a lifelong Eagles fan as difficult as it is to say I think Aikman and Moose do a fantastic job in the booth

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I did favor Summerall and Madden.. I have not heard any better since they left.
As for the prime time booths, I like Mayott and his partner on NFL network but probably only because they are still a new voice. I like Terico but his partners (Jaws and Gruden) are over the top for me.
I can stand Michaels and Collinsworth, but Collinsworth is starting to get old.

Back in the day there was nothing better than Cosell, Meredith and Gifford.
I like Musberger a lot, but he is College only these days.

As for the pre game stuff.. man its hard to watch that many hours of pregame. Pregame used to be a 30 minute show leading up to the game. NFL Today was my favorite. Now the Pregame starts on Tuesday and runs all the way to kickoff. I love the NFL stuff early in the season but by seasons end I am simply sick of all the coverage and begging for something else to roll around. I even watched some NBA on christmas to get away from the NFL coverage.

I suppose if your team is the HOT team (Packers, Saints) then its easy to watch the pregame because its nothing but love from all the analyst. But if your team is barely floating above .500 or god forbid in the suck for luck hunt then you can only take so much bashing before you turn the channel!
Yeah, that is true!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
I'm not a fan of any of them, most Sundays I follow the games on the computer or go to the sports bar.

the last show I liked was the AFC and NFC matchup shows on NFL network a few years back, with Brian Balldinger and Solomon Wilcots. they broke down every game every week

I guess they added Sterling Sharpe and Joe Theisman to the show because there wasn't enough screaming like a 12 year old girl going on.

made the show unwatchable

Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 PM

417 posts, read 365,715 times
I really don't have a huge problem with a lot of them, sometimes some of these guys annoy me and I can't pinpoint names but I think a lot of their insight is slightly interesting and sometimes entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football