U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM

1,848 posts, read 756,232 times
Williams has to be sick tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
JJG

9,518 posts, read 9,159,084 times
Well, it's sticky time again.

Pats thread: Unofficial Official "Pats" Thread
G-man thread: Go Big Blue-The Official NY Giants Team Thread

Here we go again...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM

12,956 posts, read 11,362,035 times
I'll "sticky" them and drop the "sticky" on a couple others in the next day or so.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM

4,267 posts, read 1,239,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the Giants pull off another improbable Super Bowl run, winning 27-24, in a game that possibly goes into overtime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'll call it Pats 24-20.
Hey, not bad this week. A little off on the spread in the first game and a tad off on the final over/under in the NFC game, but pretty close overall.

Anyway, great games. Both could have gone the other way. Heart-breaking day for Cundiff of the Ravens and Williams of the Niners, but that's life in the NFL.

Will post Super Bowl preview later.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 PM

500 posts, read 237,813 times
Ravens and Niners were tough! Great AFC/NFC championship games! ! ! Glad to see Pats & Giants go to SB and those Harbaugh brothers out!

Last edited by mig1; 01-23-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 AM

24,659 posts, read 26,491,045 times
What a sad game (for the Niners)... I was there, and the whole stadium literally went silent at the end. I swear, there were grown men weeping into their hands. Booooo on Williams, but gotta give props to the Giants. Next year will hopefully be ours!!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 AM

17,580 posts, read 18,262,952 times
I know I will be bashed by Giant fans for saying this, but I really think SF gave that game away. Between the two fumbles on special teams and the missed interceptions because they kept running in to each other they pretty much handed them the game.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I know I will be bashed by Giant fans for saying this, but I really think SF gave that game away. Between the two fumbles on special teams and the missed interceptions because they kept running in to each other they pretty much handed them the game.
Nah, I think this is largely true. This game was the Niners' to lose down the stretch, and unfortunately, they did just that. But give credit to the Giants for not losing their cool when the chips were down. They just needed a fortunate turn or two, a big break, and they knew they could take advantage of it, and that's exactly what they did. The Niners got their breaks too -- a few poorly-timed penalties come to mind. In the end, it was the Giants' breaks that decided the game.

When you look at most of the 49ers games this season, they've consistently played in tight games -- and played extremely well. I felt that, psychologically, going into the 4th quarter, they had to feel good about where they were, knowing that they usually won these games. And they won consistently because Harbaugh emphasized mistake-free football. Unfortunately, the loss of Ted Ginn on special teams may have proved to be a lot more significant than they ever could have imagined.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Super Bowl preview:

I think this pick is a little easier to make now, having watched enough of the playoff games. I think the Giants have to be considered the clear favorite here. I don't think it'll be a blowout. It'll probably be close, and I'm sure that Belichick has a few tricks up his sleeve, but there will only be so much that he can do.

Patriots offensive vs. Giants defense: Edge Giants.

Don't get me wrong: I think Brady and the offense will find ways to score points. Brady is as smart a quarterback and as good at spotting coverage mismatches and botched coverages as any QB I can recall. The problem is, the Giants are a balanced team that doesn't blow a lot of defensive assignments. The G-men are particularly good at using linebackers to drop back and give support in pass coverage. At the same time, they're smart enough to sniff out short passes and run plays, and they rarely allow the big running play. As the 49ers and Packers found out, the Giants don't necessarily need to get too creative on defense because they can rely on their front line to rush the passer. Now New England did protect Brady against a good pass rushing team; however, the Giants differ from the Ravens a little in that their front line is strong and fast enough to free up their linebackers. And the bad news for the Patriots is, Tom Brady is the least mobile quarterback the Giants will have faced in the playoffs, which means that he will be vulnerable to the sack -- just as he was when he faced a different set of 4 horsemen a few years ago. Even if the Giants don't actually drop him for losses, getting in Brady's face and disrupting his rhythm may be enough.

In terms of passing, Brady looked very shaky at times yesterday, although the Ravens are probably the top one or two pass coverage teams in the league. They're probably better than the Giants in this regard, so Brady might have an easier time going down the field. In fact, while the Giants were really strong at covering everything within the first 15-20 yards of scrimmage, there were times when the Giants secondary *did* blow some coverages deep -- really deep. If I were the Patriots, I would actually consider bringing Ochocinco into this game and test the secondary's ability to cover the deep ball early -- maybe even on the first play of the first two possessions, and maybe even some 'flea flicker' type gadget plays. If the Patriots can stun the Giants early, that could open up some things all over the field. And even if the ball gets intercepted, if the ball is thrown deep enough, it's just nothing more than a one-and-out punt.

Another tactic that might work is to reverse the order of passing and running to break convention. In other words, instead of running and short or middle of the field passing plays on first downs, go for a few more longer passes on first downs and keep the run closer to their chest. Pass twice in a row and hope for completions, then insert a draw play. The 49ers were able to mix up the run fairly well in some spots, as were the Packers, but only because they were able to force the Giants to respect the pass. Brady and the Pats shouldn't have a problem doing that, but unlike the 49ers and Packers, they'll have to make the Giants defense pay a heavy price whenever they 'get it wrong' on defense.

Patriots defense vs. Giants offense.

Here's where the intrigue lies, and here's where I think the Pats need to surprise people and win convincingly if they're to win the Super Bowl. From the Patriots perspective, winning and losing will come down to how well Brady can improve over last night's performance and how well that offense can spread the ball around successfully, and it will also depend on how well the Patriots can emulate what the 49ers were able to do last night. That might seem laughable to consider at first, but I think the Patriots defensive line -- Wilfork especially -- played extremely well in the AFC playoffs. Granted, they haven't played Eli Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers, but they nevertheless cannot be overlooked. They did what they needed to. I think that if the defensive line of the Pats can continue to play well and put pressure on Manning, they can keep this interesting. Also, Belichick is a defensive wizard. He rarely gets it wrong in big games when scheming his defensive strategies, so that's got to be a bit of comfort for Pats Nation. In the end, though, I think the real problem for New England is going to be in covering those wide receivers and not forgetting about the punishing weapons in the backfield. The Patriots played a team that has similar weapons in the Ravens and managed to fare well, but the Giants simply have more of those weapons than the Ravens do. The Ravens have one dangerous receiver; the Giants have three. The Ravens have one dangerous running and all-purpose back; the Giants have two. The Ravens have a decent 'game manager'; the Giants have a guy who has already won one championship and has practically carried this team throughout the season. I think the Giants just have too many weapons for the Patriots, who are indeed improving on defense, but as we will likely find out on Super Bowl Sunday, will probably need another year and maybe one or two more impact players before they're really the true favorite to win it all.

I think the Giants will win their fourth Super Bowl and their twice in four five seasons against the Patriots. The last SB was a classic. I think this may be a little more anticlimactic by comparison, with the Patriots within striking distance most or all of the way. New York wins 28-23. If the Patriots can strike early and rattle the Giants and if the Patriots can find ways to get in Manning's face through a maze of defensive looks, the Patriots would obviously stand a chance to pull off the upset. But I think this Giants team is very similar to the 2007, a team that actually was much better than their record indicated and was probably a favorite to win the title all along, but due to injuries and occasional lapses and lost confidence, didn't get it together until the end. But once they got it together, they became what they had the potential to be all along.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM

16,921 posts, read 22,648,306 times
Giants vs Patriots, a NYC vs Boston thing again.

Is there a rivalry between the Giants and Patriots equivalent to the Yankees vs Red Sox thing?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football