U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM

417 posts, read 310,689 times

Advertisements

This debate comes up a lot in football. I read this article today:

Were Saints right to run up score for Brees' record? - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Basically the author thinks it wasn't classy for the Saints to run up the score just so Brees could beat Marino's record.

People also complained about running the score in the historic Patriots season when they won all 16 of their season games.

I'm of the opinion that you can either put up or shut up. If you can't stop the opposing team from scoring on you, then that is your problem, not theirs. There is nothing unclassy about winning, if by 1 point or 100.

My only exception to this would be if the opposing team you are playing has a lot of injuries and they are playing with a lot of reserves, which happens from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
What comes around goes around. Running up the score is perfectly fine in the pro game; but remember by doing so a team takes on the risk of injuries.

Running up the score in the college game to me is far worse and one of the biggest issues I have with the college game IMHO. Watching UT run the score up on Rice is about as exciting and meaningful as watching paint dry.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 PM

4,849 posts, read 6,365,548 times
When it comes to sports I stand firm: if you don't want your opposition to score, stop them.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:07 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,020,224 times
Meh, it's the defenses job to stop them. If they don't, then I don't think an offense should just lay down. It's one thing if you've got the ball on the 2 yard line, first and goal, and your ahead by 20 points with only seconds remaining. Go ahead and take a knee or boot a field goal versus going for a TD. But, if there's more than two minutes on the clock then play every minute of football.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,890 times
In this case I cant blame Payton and his staff-----I think bringing the attention generated by the record to a conclusion was fine.

The Saints can now have a week to prepare without constant media attention and a circus like atmosphere surrounding them.

Anybody who watched the Brees post game press conference cannot possibly accuse this man or his teammates of not being classy------he is a solid and classy guy and I congratulate him on his feat.

I dont think the Saints were trying to embarrass and humiliate the Falcons.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,638,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
When it comes to sports I stand firm: if you don't want your opposition to score, stop them.
Couldnt agree more.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM

23,648 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
You really think Payton would let a chance to get the record on MNF pass Drew by? If the Falcons objected to Brees getting the record against them they should have stopped the other 300 yards he got before his final drive.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,782,292 times
I'm not a huge fan of teams running up the score, but I don't put that in this category. There was a very specific reason they were doing and that was only to get Brees the record. I'm guessing here, but I think if the last pass is caught at the one yard line that would be it. He needed 30 yards and they started at the 32.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
I don't have a problem with it. Sour grapes for the Falcons, a team does a great deal of talking and if you want to talk you better be able to back it up.

Drew Brees is a class act, it wasn't about the Falcons although they tried to make it an issue, too bad.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,829,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
This debate comes up a lot in football. I read this article today:

Were Saints right to run up score for Brees' record? - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Basically the author thinks it wasn't classy for the Saints to run up the score just so Brees could beat Marino's record.

People also complained about running the score in the historic Patriots season when they won all 16 of their season games.

I'm of the opinion that you can either put up or shut up. If you can't stop the opposing team from scoring on you, then that is your problem, not theirs. There is nothing unclassy about winning, if by 1 point or 100.

My only exception to this would be if the opposing team you are playing has a lot of injuries and they are playing with a lot of reserves, which happens from time to time.
The score difference is and has been, the tie breaker in Divisional Games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football