U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,065,898 times

Advertisements

I didn't want to put this in the Aaron Rodgers thread because I'm not comparing him to Rodgers. I just want to show how overrated Favre is.

Career INTs

INTs per season

Seasons with more than 20 INTs

# of seasons with more INTs than TDs

# of seasons with completion % under 60%
----------------------------------------------------------------
Favre is the all-time INT leader with 336. If you take away his last 3 seasons, he's still the all-time leader. He regularly made poor decisions with the football and put his receivers at risk, something Greg Jennings mentioned. Now just to compare him with some other all-time great QB's from his generation:

Career INTs
Favre- 336
Marino- 252
Elway- 226
Manning- 198
Aikman- 141
Montana- 139
Brady- 115
Young- 107

INTs per season
Favre- 16.8
Manning- 15.2
Marino- 14.8
Elway- 14.1
Aikman- 11.8
Brady- 10.5
Montana- 8.7
Young- 7.1

Pass attempts per INT
Brady- 46.3
Montana- 38.8
Young- 38.8
Manning- 36.4
Aikman- 33.4
Marino- 33.2
Elway- 32.1
Favre- 30.3

Seasons with more than 20 INTs
Favre- 6
Marino- 4
Manning- 2
Elway- 1
Aikman- 0
Montana- 0
Brady- 0
Young- 0

# of seasons with more INTs than TDs
Favre- 4
Elway- 4
Aikman- 4
Marino- 1
Manning- 1
Young- 1
Montana- 0
Brady- 0

# of seasons with completion % under 60%
Elway- 12
Marino- 12
Aikman- 6
Favre- 5
Young- 2
Montana- 2
Manning- 1
Brady- 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------
When compared even to QB's of his generation, Favre is nothing special. He made poor decisions with the ball, threw INTs like they were lollipops, and cost his team games. He played hard and even when injured, but that's all I remember him for. Outside of Green Bay, he's remembered for his games streak, not for the Superbowl he won in the 1996 season.

As for the stats that included number of seasons, I did not include seasons where half the season or less was played by the player. I didn't want to give Favre an advantage or disadvantage. The stats show that when compared to other great QB's in his time, Favre did not do much. INTs will cost you games, even if you throw a lot of TDs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,845,740 times
Favre's interception percentage is lower than many other great QB's, including Bart Starr. Yep, he was a gunslinger, but he brought a lot of excitement and enthusiasm to the quarterback position.

The Packers had been down and out for a long time prior to Brett coming to town. He revived a program that needing reviving, and now, Rogers is continuing the Green Bay Packer revival.

Too many people (including those in WI) seem to have forgotten all he did for the Packers. I, for one, haven't, and I live in WI.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,377,789 times
Not sure how you can call Favre the most overrated QB when you have players like Vick, McNabb, Romo, and more recently Tebow who receive a lion's share of the press and adulation but haven't won anything.

For all of his INT's he also carried that team for several seasons. He brought the team to the playoffs for the first time in about 11 years and did it back to back. The guy has over 18 years of consecutive starts playing injured and won GB a Superbowl title, their first since 1968. Not sure how he rates as overrated considering his accomplishments, many of which I didn't even bother to mention.

Anyone who actually watched him play in his prime would never consider him overrated.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 PM

4,603 posts, read 5,947,152 times
Barry Sanders holds the NFL record for most yards lost. He must be overrated too.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,381,559 times
Favre is overrated also look how many seasons he played and only won 1 SB.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not sure how you can call Favre the most overrated QB when you have players like Vick, McNabb, Romo, and more recently Tebow who receive a lion's share of the press and adulation but haven't won anything.

Vick- never had the talent surrounding him that Favre had. Vick QB'd a team that had Brian Finneran as their top WR and Warrick Dunn as their RB. What did Vick do in '02? Lead the Falcons to a 27-7 playoff win in Green Bay, a game in which Favre went 20-42 and threw 2 picks. What did Vick do in '04 with their top guy in yards being TE Alge Crumpler and their top WR only collecting 575 yards? Only an 11-5 record and a division title. Also a first round BYE, absolutely crushing the Rams in the Divisional round and coming up just short of the Superbowl. A team with Alge Crumpler leading the team in yards and their best WR being 575 yard Peerless Price and Vick led them to the NFC title game.

McNabb- regularly got his team to the NFC title game. Led the Eagles to the NFC title game in '01 against the Rams and led at halftime. Led them back to the NFC title game in '02. Led them to the NFC title game in '03, losing at home to Carolina. Led them to the Superbowl in '04 with Terrell Owens missing the final 2 regular season games and their first 2 playoff games. Led them to the NFC title game in '08 and held a 4th quarter lead. Leading your team to 4 consecutive NFC title games definitely deserves recognition, even if losing 3 of them. How many players can claim that?

Romo- he doesn't deserve any recognition. He is a complete postseason failure. He's won 1 playoff game his entire career.

Tebow- I have never seen a player that is an average QB at best in quarters 1-3 and suddenly become Joe Montana in the 4th quarter. Tebow has led the Broncos to several wins in the 4th quarter and overtime. He has been nothing but clutch.

With the exception of Romo, the players you mentioned all deserve to be praised. None of them were hyped to be the next big thing. The closest so far has been Tebow and so far, he's been living up to his expectations.

Quote:
For all of his INT's he also carried that team for several seasons. He brought the team to the playoffs for the first time in about 11 years and did it back to back. The guy has over 18 years of consecutive starts playing injured and won GB a Superbowl title, their first since 1968. Not sure how he rates as overrated considering his accomplishments, many of which I didn't even bother to mention.

He carried them and brought them down at the same time. His risky and at times reckless play cost the Packers games and especially playoff games. Even in their Superbowl win, Favre played a very average game. The main reason they won was because Bledsoe threw 4 picks and Green Bay scored on at least 2 of those turnovers that I can recall.

Quote:
Anyone who actually watched him play in his prime would never consider him overrated.

I saw him play and I consider him overrated. Even in many of Green Bay's playoff wins, Favre did not play like an elite QB. Many of their wins were won by their defense. And often in their losses, he was downright terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant
Barry Sanders holds the NFL record for most yards lost. He must be overrated too.

Much of that yardage was in the red zone. The Lions had a terrible OL. Sanders had freakish speed and agility. He was able to get through minimal holes because of his athleticism. But when the Lions got to the 20 yard line, the opposition just stacked up at the goal line and the OL couldn't do sh*t. Even with a sh*tty OL, you weren't stopping Sanders in the open field. Once you got to the red zone, that OL was toast and ultimately, so was Barry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User
Favre is overrated also look how many seasons he played and only won 1 SB.

And even in his lone Superbowl win, he didn't play so hot. Desmond Howard won MVP.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 PM

16,091 posts, read 20,022,439 times
I'm going to keep this thread on for a few days. At this time last years I weened the total of Brett Favre threads down to seven. That is the reason I made the comments that I made when I addressed this issue when I made a STICKY on this on the football thread.

Wackaflocka, I also realize you're not only fairly new here but that this is a well constructed, well thought out thread, which is a huge relief considering some that get posted, especially ONE from day before yesterday.

I'll keep it going though. People, please keep the responses in line with the thread question. I'll keep responses going for a few days. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,377,789 times
Vick received more press pre and post dog scandal than any other QB in the last ten years. He isn't half the passer that Favre was, and he certainly didn't wasn't the leader that Favre was in the huddle. His accompishments were just summed up in your four line paragraph and not one title. He also played six seasons inside the comfy Georgia Dome down in Atlanta, he wasn't touching it out outdoors in 15 degree weather in Green Bay WI.

McNabb was no better than Romo, and certainly better than some of the second tier QB's in the league like Ryan, Flacco, or Cutler, yet he received more hype and press than most top tier QB's. Credit the Philly defense for helping to keep the score down so McNabb's mediocre performances looked all the more impressive. He also had help from Westbrook to split the defense.

Just on paper alone Favre has sealed his legacy in the NFL. Did he hang around a little too long, maybe. He was one INT away from going to another SB against the Saints and still set a couple of playoff records at age 40.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Vick received more press pre and post dog scandal than any other QB in the last ten years. He isn't half the passer that Favre was, and he certainly didn't wasn't the leader that Favre was in the huddle. His accompishments were just summed up in your four line paragraph and not one title.

Plenty of QB's never won a title. And that doesn't automatically put Favre above them, especially considering that not only Favre only won 1, but he didn't even play that great in the Superbowl.

Quote:
He also played six seasons inside the comfy Georgia Dome down in Atlanta, he wasn't touching it out outdoors in 15 degree weather in Green Bay WI.

Either you have a selective memory, or you conveniently ignored the part where I mentioned the Falcons won at Lambeau in January 2003. 27-7 in fact. A game where Vick, Warrick Dunn, and T.J. Duckett ran the ball down the Packers' throats all game. A game where Favre went 20-42 and threw 2 picks.

Quote:
McNabb was no better than Romo, and certainly better than some of the second tier QB's in the league like Ryan, Flacco, or Cutler, yet he received more hype and press than most top tier QB's.

You lost all credibility with your comment that I bolded. Tony Romo has won 1 playoff game in his entire career and he is best known for his blunder in Seattle in the '06 playoffs. McNabb getting to the NFC title game 4 years in a row ALONE puts him above Romo. Never mind the fact that he led the Eagles to the Superbowl with Owens missing 4 games, including the 2 playoff games prior to the Superbowl. In those 2 playoff games, McNabb went 38/59(64.4%), 466 yards, 4 touchdowns, and not a single INT.

Romo has lost 3 of his 4 playoff games, one of those losses coming as the #1 seed. The one playoff game he did win, he followed with a 34-3 ass kicking by Favre's Vikings. McNabb made the playoffs with the Eagles on 8 occasions and the Eagles went to the NFC title game 5 times. The Eagles never lost at home in the Wildcard or Divisional round, and they also went to the NFC title game in '08 as the #6 seed. McNabb is minimum 1 tier above Romo. They are far from equal.

Quote:
Credit the Philly defense for helping to keep the score down so McNabb's mediocre performances looked all the more impressive. He also had help from Westbrook to split the defense.

Credit McNabb with making smart plays and doing a lot with minimum help at wideout. Aside from Owens, who did he have? James "Butterfingers" Thrash and Todd "I'm too big of a pu**y to take a hit" Pinkston. He gets a credible receiver in DeSean Jackson and the Eagles go to the NFC title game as the #6 seed. And even then, there was no one outside of Jackson. They had to use Westbrook as a receiver because they were so shallow at wideout. Jackson led the team with 62 receptions in 2008. Westbrook was second with 54.

Quote:
Just on paper alone Favre has sealed his legacy in the NFL. Did he hang around a little too long, maybe. He was one INT away from going to another SB against the Saints and still set a couple of playoff records at age 40.

His legacy is his consecutive games streak, not what he did on paper. And speaking of that Saints game, Favre once again was very average. Only completing half of his passes and throwing 2 picks. Not to mention the 6 fumbles the Vikings had(and turning the ball over on 3 of them). The MVP of the Vikings that game was AP(25 rushes/122 yards/3 TDs).

Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 AM

8,211 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Much of that yardage was in the red zone. The Lions had a terrible OL. Sanders had freakish speed and agility. He was able to get through minimal holes because of his athleticism. But when the Lions got to the 20 yard line, the opposition just stacked up at the goal line and the OL couldn't do sh*t. Even with a sh*tty OL, you weren't stopping Sanders in the open field. Once you got to the red zone, that OL was toast and ultimately, so was Barry.
If memory serves, Barry rarely got red zone touches especially later in his career. Even if that is not the case, he lost a ton of yards outside the red zone. That was just the nature of his running style coupled with the terrible O-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football