U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 AM

578 posts, read 1,880,006 times

Advertisements

I was curious about a couple of things on the Giants and football in New York City AND the New York Tri State Region.

1) In talking with people many of them have a sterotype saying New York is baseball town with football occupying the backburner.
Some have gone as far to label the Giants and Jets both as being average in terms of popularity with New York having a average passion for football overshadowed by baseball.
-Is this correct?

2) If this is not correct, why is it then that in baseball not only do both teams appear to have a better following on the road, but also at home?
-I am a Giants fan and I can not comprehend why Giant home games are so quiet, lacking energy, have so many road fans which is highly uncharacteristic for baseball and most sports teams in big sports towns?
-In general it seems the New York sterotype of having diehard fans doesn't apply to football, and the other sterotype of New York not really being a football holds true.
-If not, why is it the Giants don't have a great road following, and their home games have so much less energy and so many more road fans than normal for a New York team?
-I understand we have a lot of old season ticket holders but really are they and the team's medicore play THAT much to blame?
The team may have won three playoff games in 17 years BUT they haven't been a doormat.

3) I also wanted to know, I heard that for people living in New York City, ask them about sports and they'll talk baseball.
Simply put New York City is a baseball city, football is followed and gets fans from the suburbs but in the city it is way more baseball.
Is this true and if so why?
-Would it be due to the club not playing there or is football simply more of a suburban sport with baseball being a city thing?

4) Which team is the most popular in New York?
The Giants or Jets?
-I was led to believe the Giants are more popular, but am conflicted because I have read the Jets are not only the team of Long Island but also younger fans.
-Does this mean in 30 years the Jets will overtake or simply the Giants have such a longstanding tradition it's hard for anybody under 30 to get a season ticket but their fanbase among the next generation isn't eroding?

5) Overall how would rate the amateur level of football in the New York tri state region?
-Is this sport something which is the most popular varsity, the most glorified, and produces solid recruits, or is it lacking when compared to powerhouses like PA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 AM

25 posts, read 78,556 times
I can't say for certain because I live in upstate NY which is Bills country, but I would guess that one reason that the sport is less popular than baseball is that the Giants stadium isn't even in NY its in NJ. And second of all neither NY football team has been doing very well (they might not suck as much as the Bills but they're not far behind). But its a new season, who knows maybe they'll kick butt this year.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,397,376 times
NY is a pro sports city. It has lots of sports to follow. I would not say one is prefered over the other

The amateur level of NJ football is excellent, if you mean kids (high school). NJ is in the Tri-state

NJ has excellent scholastic athletes.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,357,643 times
Giants are wack! It's all J....E....T....S..........!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,378,639 times
Before moving to Giants Stadium in NJ the Jets originally played in Shea Stadium in Queens which is located on Long Island.

I don't know where you get your info from but the two football teams are very popular among sports fans and their home games are always sold out. NY have so many sport teams that the teams whose sports are in season tend to get the attention. At this time of the year if the Yankees & the Mets are in the pennant race then the attention is focused on them. After baseball season is over you have hockey & basketball which compete with football but all of the teams are very popular and have huge followings.

I am an avid Giants, Yankees & Knicks fan and I watch as many of their games on TV as I can.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 6,038,552 times
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 AM

536 posts, read 1,100,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
my thoughts exactly would rep you but to much rep for 24 hours

Old 09-04-2007, 08:50 AM

3,192 posts, read 6,357,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Drunk Joe Willie to shoulder-busted Chad and all.......!!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 PM

16,534 posts, read 21,020,887 times
Joe has had his ups and downs but us old AFL fans give him a lot of credit.16 to 7. SB-III. What an upset. And Wellington was not fond of the long hair, sideburns. And the Fu-Manchu? SHEESH!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or