Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Whats not well kept about dreads and tattoos?
What rock have you been living under? Most corporate companies and government organizations won't even employ someone with visible tattoos and dreadlocks.

Quote:
What does acting like a rapper mean?
When did Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice or Warren Moon ever throw wads of money at strippers, fight dogs, or become involved in knife fights and shootouts? I can't say the same for Michael Vick, Ray Lewis or Adam Jones.

Quote:
You yourself sound racist.
You yourself sound uneducated and ignorant.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Gentlemen, let's not get too carried away here. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
What rock have you been living under? Most corporate companies and government organizations won't even employ someone with visible tattoos and dreadlocks.

When did Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice or Warren Moon ever throw wads of money at strippers, fight dogs, or become involved in knife fights and shootouts? I can't say the same for Michael Vick, Ray Lewis or Adam Jones.

You yourself sound uneducated and ignorant.
And these corporations are correct in their judgement? It's this kind of thinking that prevents people from being themselves and conforming to the bland lifestyle that people like you think is acceptable. Never met a doctor or lawyer with dreads? You should get out more.

That's all good and well but they don't speak for the rest of the players in the league.

I'm ignorant because I'd rather judge someone for who they are and not what they decide to do with their hair?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
And these corporations are correct in their judgement? It's this kind of thinking that prevents people from being themselves and conforming to the bland lifestyle that people like you think is acceptable. Never met a doctor or lawyer with dreads? You should get out more.

That's all good and well but they don't speak for the rest of the players in the league.

I'm ignorant because I'd rather judge someone for who they are and not what they decide to do with their hair?
Perception is why most corporations would not and do not hire anyone who does not look the "norm".

Deadlocks have a very bad connotation for lots of whites. Jamaica and drugs, ghettos and drugs, drugs, period. That is the truth. I'm sorry if that is a wrong perception but there it is. "We" only learn from what we have been shown, either through tv programs, news reports or whatever.

I have met good people with and without dreads. Bad people, with and without dreads. It all boils down to an individual but the perception, the first impression, is not a good one.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,931 times
Quote:
No, because you called me a racist. If all the white guys who played professional baseball started dressing and acting like Hells Angels bikers I'd have the exact same complaint.

Here's my take on why black athletes have become more ghetto: In the '80s there was a stark cultural separation between athletes, rappers, and street hoodlums. In the '90s the culture of rappers and street hoodlums merged, with emergence of gangster rap, which became so popular that all of the '80s rappers who were more positive and about "fun" rap and funk, were ousted. From that point on, to even be a successful rapper you had to be a thug (or at least appear to be) and rap became synonymous with thuggery.

In the 2000s the culture of black athletes and rapper/gangsters merged. The athletes wanted to be like the rapper/gangsters and started adopting their style of dress and lifestyle. Floyd Mayweather began hanging out with rapper 50 Cent, dressing like a rapper, acting flamboyant and literally burning $100 bills in night clubs. Adam Jones started hanging out with the rapper Nelly, and he was with Nelly at a strip club when he assaulted a stripper, got into a brawl with bouncers and his entourage shot some of the bouncers.

While a lot of black athletes haven't engaged in this type of illegal activity, they still emulate the rapper/gangster with their hairstyles, clothing, tattoos, slang, and even demeanor. Please go research black athletes from the '90s and before (Mike Tyson excluded, lol), ESPECIALLY NFL and NBA athletes, and notice the stark difference.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
No, because you called me a racist. If all the white guys who played professional baseball started dressing and acting like Hells Angels bikers I'd have the exact same complaint.

Here's my take on why black athletes have become more ghetto: In the '80s there was a stark cultural separation between athletes, rappers, and street hoodlums. In the '90s the culture of rappers and street hoodlums merged, with emergence of gangster rap, which became so popular that all of the '80s rappers who were more positive and about "fun" rap and funk, were ousted. From that point on, to even be a successful rapper you had to be a thug (or at least appear to be) and rap became synonymous with thuggery.

In the 2000s the culture of black athletes and rapper/gangsters merged. The athletes wanted to be like the rapper/gangsters and started adopting their style of dress and lifestyle. Floyd Mayweather began hanging out with rapper 50 Cent, dressing like a rapper, acting flamboyant and literally burning $100 bills in night clubs. Adam Jones started hanging out with the rapper Nelly, and he was with Nelly at a strip club when he assaulted a stripper, got into a brawl with bouncers and his entourage shot some of the bouncers.

While a lot of black athletes haven't engaged in this type of illegal activity, they still emulate the rapper/gangster with their hairstyles, clothing, tattoos, slang, and even demeanor. Please go research black athletes from the '90s and before (Mike Tyson excluded, lol), ESPECIALLY NFL and NBA athletes, and notice the stark difference.

Thank you, UNLV, for making me feel like it's not just because of my lack of color. You are one smart dude.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:

Just curious, maybe I missed it or live under a rock or something. What was Ray Lewis involved with? I've always seen him as a good team player and citizen.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Just curious, maybe I missed it or live under a rock or something. What was Ray Lewis involved with? I've always seen him as a good team player and citizen.
I think he's refering to Ray Lewis being involved with a homicide right before the 2000 superbowl in Atlanta. He got off, but the case was very shady and one could easily conclude that he was very involved and got away with it.... It's worth a look, check it out for yourself.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:35 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I think he's refering to Ray Lewis being involved with a homicide right before the 2000 superbowl in Atlanta. He got off, but the case was very shady and one could easily conclude that he was very involved and got away with it.... It's worth a look, check it out for yourself.
Now that you mention it, I do recall something to that effect. I'll look into that more. Anyway, I still don't see him as a "thug" per se, at least compared to many others. When I think of low class and other things, the first one to pop into my mind is Haynesworth.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
I grew up playing and watching football in the '90s and the African-American players that dominated then were people like Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Warren Moon and Emmitt Smith. As a young African-American, these guys were role models for me and a lot of other young males in my community. They were very good sportsman, very professional, presented themselves well, and were just classy guys both on and off the field. I don't feel the African-American athletes in the sport now have that same level of class. They seem to be much more "street" with more flamboyant and aggressive personalities, they're not as "well kept" (tattoos and braids and dreadlocks) and many of them dress and act like rappers. Other than their athletic accomplishments, I wouldn't want my son looking up to most of these guys as personalities off of the football field.

Am I just seeing things from a skewed view, remembering the '90s with an imaginary nostalgia, or being falsely critical of today's players? Or am I on to something here?
I understand your point but my only problem with what you're saying is the fact that you're stereotyping an individual as being a "bad person" or "ghetto" (whatever that means), based on looks without any experience with that individual's character. And you being black, makes that point even more so...

That's the basic principle of racism, to judge someone purely based on looks (color of skin etc...). I'm not calling you a racist, just making a point.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a very diverse environment and have known many that fit what you describe but were some of the nicest people you ever meet and would do anything for you. Don't judge a book by the cover, judge it by its content! Not to get all cheesy on you, but this is a very appropriate topic to spend some time on and think about given tomorrow is MLK day and what he preached.....

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 01-15-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football