U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,841,823 times

Advertisements

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg876/sca...=640&ysize=640

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1971/89814328.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,935,974 times
Hate to say it, but he single handedly gift wrapped the game for the NY Giants.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
What do you expect? He is also receiving death threats from fans.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Crabtree should have channeled his anger into figuring out a way to get open. He had 1 catch for 3 yards. Maybe he should be pissed at himself.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,128,255 times
I wouldn't blame it all on Williams. Alex Smith looked like Alex Smith we've seen in previous years late in the game, and other than Davis, they have no go to receiver on that team. The defense was the only reason they were still in the game.

and death threats? really, from people who had no impact on the game? Fans should be grateful their team actually made it to the Conference Championship after making the postseason for the first time in 8 years.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Crabtree should have channeled his anger into figuring out a way to get open. He had 1 catch for 3 yards. Maybe he should be pissed at himself.
Yeah, they drafted Crabtree to be that guy...and well, it appears that he isnt...

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, they drafted Crabtree to be that guy...and well, it appears that he isnt...
I have no idea how he got drafted where he did. Word on the street was that he was a system receiver and had a diva attitude. I thought he was the most likely to bust out of that top 10 (ok, I thought DHB would bust too.) The top 10 of that draft was putrid but I think few should be surprised at Crabtree's lack of impact.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,087,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have no idea how he got drafted where he did. Word on the street was that he was a system receiver and had a diva attitude. I thought he was the most likely to bust out of that top 10 (ok, I thought DHB would bust too.) The top 10 of that draft was putrid but I think few should be surprised at Crabtree's lack of impact.

I remember him holding out for awhile too because he wanted more money.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,609,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I wouldn't blame it all on Williams. Alex Smith looked like Alex Smith we've seen in previous years late in the game, and other than Davis, they have no go to receiver on that team. The defense was the only reason they were still in the game.
Alex Smith? Are you kidding me?

Alex Smith was NOT the problem at all; he played fine. He made big plays and probably played as well as any quarterback has against the Giants defense since they started their run about five weeks ago.

The fact is, Alex Smith has arrived and he's there to stay. He finally has a coaching staff that knows what to do with him, which was the problem all along. He's the 49ers' quarterback until further notice. Turn the page.

I don't blame it all on Williams, either, but there's no denying that his two mistakes were costly. That being said, though, I think that might be as much on the 49ers special teams coaching as anybody. Ted Ginn was their normal return guy and with him being sidelined, they needed to make d@mn sure that they went over special teams in these kinds of situations. Again, not to inject Bill Belichick into every discussion, but I would bet that his coaching staff doesn't let Williams get anywhere near that first kick -- and they make sure he calls a fair catch on the second one, just to play it safe. Punted footballs are not like catching deep ball throws from quarterbacks, and the special teams coaches obviously put Williams in a situation he wasn't prepared for.

I know it's heresy to criticize the coaching staff given the fact that Harbaugh and his staff have done a masterful job this season, but nevertheless, I think they overlooked that one area, and as I mentioned earlier, the team as a whole may still have a little maturing to do. The 49ers probably had the talent to go all the way this year, and they had a big first playoff victory over a great New Orleans team. But there were lapses in that game which lead me to believe that the NFC title game (and the Super Bowl as well) may have been a stage that the 49ers weren't 100 percent mentally prepared to handle. The Giants, being the veterans that they were, seemed prepared to take advantage of the slightest lapses, and that's exactly what they did, despite being mostly outplayed. If this were the 1989 49ers, maybe a lapse like that turns out to be good for a few laughs on NFL Films over a few beers, but not in this era of extreme parity, where coaching and discipline are the difference makers, and where one lapse can cost you a game. That's not just on Williams but the whole team. They'll learn from this and I'm sure they won't let this happen next year if they get into this situation again.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 01-24-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM

2,495 posts, read 3,635,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Well said. They are looking for a scape goat when the reality of the game is that the entire team failed to achieve a victory. Crabtree should wipe that stupid look off his face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or