Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Seems like it would be better on the first Saturday night of February since there is no such thing as a holiday on the Monday after the Superbowl. By the game starting at 6:30pm it ends after 11pm because of the halftime show and if you are at a SB party it is so hard to go to work the next day. Having it on saturday allows all fans to have a blast and watch the game and could sleep until 1pm that following sunday. Plus that decrease the number of call-outs on the Monday after the Superbowl.

BTW: I had a job interview the Monday after the SB 3 years ago and the lady interiewing me could not make the interview because of a health emergency and it was called HUNGOVER.-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Very Interesting question, I myself have thought the same thing. IMO it would be an even bigger party than it already is and alcohol related BS would shoot thru the roof.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Very Interesting question, I myself have thought the same thing. IMO it would be an even bigger party than it already is and alcohol related BS would shoot thru the roof.
I never wanted to go to a SB party because who wants to get home at 12midnight on a work night?-lol I normally watch the SB alone and then I get ready for bed after it's over.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I never wanted to go to a SB party because who wants to get home at 12midnight on a work night?-lol I normally watch the SB alone and then I get ready for bed after it's over.

Yeah if the SB was on Sat. that would be THE biggest party nationwide year in and year out. I'm going out on a limb and saying SB Saturday would be bigger than Halloween and NYE for adults.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
That's actually an interesting question. One way to pilot that idea -- if they ever get a true NCAA playoff off the ground -- would be to have a Super Bowl of College Football, which would be played the night before the SB. If that's too close for the NFL's comfort, then they could have the college 'Super Bowl' played on a Saturday in between 'championship weekend' and the NFL Super Bowl. (Of course my wife would probably kick me out of the house for having yet another football game/sporting event on my schedule. ) If the NCAA Super Bowl turned out to be a huge hit, the NFL might try it out one year. I think they should try it out one year to see what happens anyway.

Maybe part of the problem now is that the Super Bowl has become such an event, such a hype show that it has taken on a life of its own, and they'd have to figure out ways to reorganize the festivities that lead up to the Super Bowl. But it really does make a lot more sense to have a Super Bowl on a Saturday, given that the time keeps getting pushed back to almost 6:30 p.m. on the east coast. I could envision a day when the Super Bowl finishes at midnight, which would end up hurting the NFL I think.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
maybe something to do with alcohol and drunk driving. i don't drive drunk, but i never ever went to school or work the day after the super bowl anyway.

maybe if we can send out a huge memo and get everybody in the country to skip work and school monday after the game, we can create a new holiday.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
I dont have any objections to it being on Saturday; it seems like a decent idea. However, I dont have any issues with it being on Sunday either. Any adult should be able to handle a late night. We use to stay up playing poker after the game until like 1 or 2 and our entire group of friends still made it to work the next day just fine. I stay up to at least midnight every night so it isnt a big deal for me. Last year since my Pack was playing I took Monday off because I knew I would be up really late partying or I would be pissed off and not want to talk to anyone. I actually re-watched the entire game last year before I went to bed.

I dont think Saturday will ever happen because the NFL wants to make money off an entire weekend of events and the city hosting wants to squeeze every dollar out of the event they can. Since most of the country already watches and profit is already probably maximized, why change it?

If they moved it to Saturday night I could see viewership actually decreasing because the casual and non-fans would probably choose to go out to eat, to the movies, bowling or whatever else they normally do on Saturday night. Sunday night is a stay-in night for most people so the NFL gets to capitalized on that. The NFL is not going to take that risk when almost everyone watches the game as it is.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
maybe something to do with alcohol and drunk driving. i don't drive drunk, but i never ever went to school or work the day after the super bowl anyway.

maybe if we can send out a huge memo and get everybody in the country to skip work and school monday after the game, we can create a new holiday.
The reason is that you do not change what is not only not broken but working at a maximum level. Like I mentioned in my previous post, there is a fair chance that viewership would decrease if moved.

There have been petitions in the past to try to create a holiday on the following Monday but I do not see that happening. If another official holiday is to be created, it will be St. Patrick's day because that day has been shown to give big boost to economies because people go out. People general watch the Super Bowl at each other's houses instead of jumping around from bar-to-bar dropping big money.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I like the idea. I'm sure bars and restaurants would absolutely love the idea. Personally it sounds like a no brainer to me. I can't see any downside and tons of good stuff for making it Saturday night.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Sounds like a great idea to me, I'd also like to see the NFL Players Association boycott Right to Work states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football