Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Brady threw some incredible throws in that game that were not caught by his receivers. That's not Brady's fault that the ball wasn't caught...

you mean the ball he threw behind Welker, who was open by 5 yards all around him???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I agree that the football mindset has changed and that you can win with a great passing game and average running game, I just never thought that it was Brady and Belichick that started that trend. Perhaps, but I always felt the Patriots were one of the more balanced offensive teams, especially when they won their SBs. The recent move for the Patriots to a more pass happy offense has resulted in many many wins, but no SBs.. not yet anyway.
You can see the trend for the Pats.
In their 3 SB wins they ran the ball almost as much as they passed the ball;
25/27
35/48
28/33

In their past 2 SB losses, they have passed the ball twice as much;
19/41
16/48

And the Giants who beat the Patriots in their 2 recent SBs have had a much more balanced approach;
26/34
28/40
The statistics might suggest run balance, but the Giants just happen to have two good, strong reliable running backs to keep the pass coverage honest. Even so, I still think the fundamental balance of offensive play is now clearly favoring the pass game over the running game, which is a fairly recent development. And I think it started in 2007, when Belichick started using Wes Welker as a slot receiver with more than 100 receptions. They went with the 5-receiver spread and a hyperactive passing attack, and I think the league has essentially begun to emulate that. In truth, it probably wasn't only the Patriots, and that trend in all likelihood fed off of other offensive schemes used by other teams, including Sean Payton's New Orleans offense led by Drew Brees. But I think Belichick and Brady took it to new heights.

Re: the comparison to the Chargers and Dolphins of the 1980s, I agree that they spread the ball around, too. But the way that Brady uses the entire field, and the timing of the patterns....it would seem to be unprecedented. I think other offenses have evolved similarly and it puts pressure on the rest of the league to produce comparable results on offense.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I think you can credit the rules committee for the shift in balance from run to pass as much as you can the Patriots. I also think the jury is still out about whether that style will become the norm or just as fad like the run and shoot. I think a few teams have fed off the Patriots success but the majority of the league still want to run the ball first and more often.

If the Patriots had won and won convincingly then the trend might continue because that would make it 3 straight SBs for PASS first offenses, but that didn't happen. The outcome reverted back to a team that preferred to run the ball first. I think that will stunt the growth of the Pass First, spread offense. Of the teams that passed for 5,000 yards this past season, only the Patriots got past the Divisional round of the playoffs so I am not convinced more teams will follow suit in the upcoming years... some will but they will have to find more success than the Patriots have in recent years to continue that trend.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I can honestly say I have NOT changed my opinion of Brady. Without him, that Patriots team would be playing for the 1st overall pick, not the Superbowl. His team failed him, I think he is as good as ever.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM

297 posts, read 401,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Of the teams that passed for 5,000 yards this past season, only the Patriots got past the Divisional round of the playoffs so I am not convinced more teams will follow suit in the upcoming years...
Eli threw for 4,933 yards this past year. Might as well have been 5,000 pretty much.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:31 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Eli threw for 4,933 yards this past year. Might as well have been 5,000 pretty much.
Touche'
Could be that 5,000 is the new 4,000

Old 02-09-2012, 05:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can honestly say I have NOT changed my opinion of Peyton Manning. Without him, that Colts team would be playing for the 1st overall pick, not the Superbowl. His team failed him, I think he is as good as ever.

Fixed your post for you.

of course, we do have information on how the Patriots fared without Brady, they went 11-5 with a guy who never started a game in college, couldn't beat out teammate Matt Leinart, and whose college coach was counting on being able to sign him as a free agent b/c he didn't think he'd get drafted, in the SEVENTH round. (Brady's a sixth rounder man! )

Old 02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
He is still the best QB with Peyton second(looks like Peyton won't move up anymore and possibly retire) , but the gap is narrowing quickly among the others(i put Rodgers, Brees, and Eli on his heels).

Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM

297 posts, read 401,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Fixed your post for you.

of course, we do have information on how the Patriots fared without Brady, they went 11-5 with a guy who never started a game in college, couldn't beat out teammate Matt Leinart, and whose college coach was counting on being able to sign him as a free agent b/c he didn't think he'd get drafted, in the SEVENTH round. (Brady's a sixth rounder man! )
But how many games did that Patriots team lose the year prior? None. While 11-5 is a good record and an accomplishment for Cassell, 11-5 is a noticeably large drop off from 16-0.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
In no way shape or form is Tom Brady a better QB than Peyton Manning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football